uConnect 8.4 inch screen buttons freeze

sonchik

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon 2018
Folks, searched but didn’t see similar issue to mine so hoping you can point me in the right direction. My 2018 Jeep JL Rubicon screen often freezes up (happens more often in hotter weather) where I can not switch screens by pressing the bottom row buttons. It happens randomly when I start the car and get driving and notice bottom row bottoms don’t work. I have to stop and shit off the engine and they begin working. Start the car again and they work. Stop somewhere, start the car and they don’t work. And so on and so forth. Annoying for sure as it happens very frequently - several times a day. Anyone experienced the same issue and found a cause and a fix?
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Folks, searched but didn’t see similar issue to mine so hoping you can point me in the right direction. My 2018 Jeep JL Rubicon screen often freezes up (happens more often in hotter weather) where I can not switch screens by pressing the bottom row buttons. It happens randomly when I start the car and get driving and notice bottom row bottoms don’t work. I have to stop and shit off the engine and they begin working. Start the car again and they work. Stop somewhere, start the car and they don’t work. And so on and so forth. Annoying for sure as it happens very frequently - several times a day. Anyone experienced the same issue and found a cause and a fix?
Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
JeepCares

OP
OP
sonchik

sonchik

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon 2018
Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
JeepCares
Hi Alison, yes I plan on bringing this forward to Wolfchase Jeep dealer in Bartlett. Please help with opening a case.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi Alison, yes I plan on bringing this forward to Wolfchase Jeep dealer in Bartlett. Please help with opening a case.
Hi!

Please send us a private message and I would be happy to get a case open for you.

Alison
JeepCares

MountiesNGamecocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUS, 22 Ram, 14 Must GT, 94 Cobra
I have this same issue, did the dealership get it sorted out?

Sponsored

OP
OP
sonchik

sonchik

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon 2018
I have this same issue, did the dealership get it sorted out?
They did not identify the cause but agreed to replace the entire radio. I haven’t done it yet. The buttons continue to freeze here and there. The radio also resets itself very often.

jeepdriver99

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR 2 Door, 21 JLU TD, 06 GC, 54 Willys SW
Occupation
Retired, W8BWD
They did not identify the cause but agreed to replace the entire radio. I haven’t done it yet. The buttons continue to freeze here and there. The radio also resets itself very often.
I had the same problem and the dealer said I had updates that could help. After they applied the updates at the dealer, I have had zero problems.
My JL is one of the early 2018 2 door models and had a software version 18.xxxx. It appears to now have a 2019 version.

IMG_3884.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
sonchik

sonchik

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon 2018
I had the same problem and the dealer said I had updates that could help. After they applied the updates at the dealer, I have had zero problems.
My JL is one of the early 2018 2 door models and had a software version 18.xxxx. It appears to now have a 2019 version.

Jeep Wrangler JL uConnect 8.4 inch screen buttons freeze IMG_3884
Thanks. Let me check to see what version I have and also ask the dealer. I also have the late 2018 4 door JL.

Helijeep

Threads
Reaction score
I have a early 2018 JLUR manual, 8.4 uConnect. Same issue, had UConnect replaced and software updated, both did not help. I can correct it, if I put Jeep in reverse and rear camera come on, buttons unfreeze. Easy to do at light in town, hard to do on highway. Most always happens on short stops, coffee, gas, food. Hop back in Jeep start up and lower buttons do not work. Bit if I back out of the spot, it works!
Next time I‘m at the dealer, I will ask about update, but out of warranty.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have a early 2018 JLUR manual, 8.4 uConnect. Same issue, had UConnect replaced and software updated, both did not help. I can correct it, if I put Jeep in reverse and rear camera come on, buttons unfreeze. Easy to do at light in town, hard to do on highway. Most always happens on short stops, coffee, gas, food. Hop back in Jeep start up and lower buttons do not work. Bit if I back out of the spot, it works!
Next time I‘m at the dealer, I will ask about update, but out of warranty.

Alison
JeepCares

Sponsored

OP
OP
sonchik

sonchik

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon 2018
Latest uConnect update seems to have solved the problem. Have not had an issue since update about 60days ago.
Agree... since the update I only had one issue one time - the radio restarted twice in a row. I haven't had any issues with buttons freezing. I hope the warm weather won't jinx it. It happened almost daily in summer
Sponsored