Sponsored

Uconnect 5inch stock Radio Cuts Out

digger

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Challenger, 99 Fat Boy, 2017 Camaro convertable,2 f350 trucks,2011 Grand Cherokee, 2009 Patriot
Newb 2018 JL Unlimted owner - day 2 of new Jeep.

Radio randomly shutting off infrequently (4 times in the same day spread over multiple hours). It restarts and then I have to reset the clock. It feels like the power supply is getting cut.

Question> Have people had to reset thier clocks during the U-Connect “bad update reboot issue”?? If the answer is no, thrn I’m looking at a separate issue (loose harness, bad ground, etc)

Never happened to me in a new car of other brands.
My reception cuts in and out mostly out and has no sat signal either
Sponsored

OP
OP
jhnnymac

jhnnymac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota 4Runner
Reolution onmy issue. The dealer did a massive firmware update on the radio and now the issue has finally f*cked off. It’s 100% a firmware issue.

hutch1177

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Took ours to dealer today. Ordering us a new radio. Only had it 3 weeks and it cuts out multiple times per day.

Lyleb80

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
Occupation
Aircraft mechanic

Radio randomly shutting off infrequently (4 times in the same day spread over multiple hours). It restarts and then I have to reset the clock. It feels like the power supply is getting cut.

Question> Have people had to reset thier clocks during the U-Connect “bad update reboot issue”?? If the answer is no, thrn I’m looking at a separate issue (loose harness, bad ground, etc)

I had the issue after I installed an amp and subwoofer and I thought its was the fact that the speaker wires I used from the stereo were casing it but turns out that it is ether the usb cord or plug in the console that is causing the problem, because it has not happened since I unplugged the usb

Skot JL

First Name
Skot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl Wrangler Sport
For the folks who are experiencing their Uconnect stereo shutting off, are you using an iPhone with iOS12?

I'm having the same issue with my 5" Uconnect turning off and reseting. I've got a Jeep Sport S JLU. Firmware is up to date. I can reliably recreate the bug by connecting an Apple device running iOS 12 through USB. I've tried multiple iPhone, iPods and iPads running other iOS versions over USB and I cannot get the system to shut off. It only happens for me with iOS12. If I play music over bluetooth from an iOS 12 device it works great, not shutting off. The issue only exists for me over USB.

One caveat... I installed the Alpine PSS-23WRA powered sub and amp (which incidentally is expensive but fantastic). I can't rule that out as part of the problem because I didn't get my iOS 12 device until after the sub was installed. That said, it works fine with any device not running iOS 12.

A theory... In iOS 12 Apple added a feature called USB restricted mode which is intended to make devices more secure to threats over USB. I suspect that may have something to do with this issue.

Hope this helps someone, or sheds light. Please add any insight you have.

Sponsored

hutch1177

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Ours starting doing this pretty much the first few days we had it. Took it to dealer last weekend and they said they would order new one. They took old one out, inspected the wiring and said a new one is ordered. I think they know it’s a widespread issue.

hammerheadnc

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport 3.6L (Punky), 2016 BMW R1200GS Adventure (Big Red)
I did the latest iOS 12 update on my iPhone X last week and now my 5” cuts out after one minute with USB connected. This is from USB1. It will not connect at all to USB2 in center console. I can play through Bluetooth fine however as soon as you plug in USB to charge it takes over and cuts out after a minute. I have not done the firmware and will try that. It does sound like it is a apple issue and not UConnect. Anyone know if you can disable the audio USB?

For the folks who are experiencing their Uconnect stereo shutting off, are you using an iPhone with iOS12?

Update - Just checked UConnect and it says I have the latest firmware

I'm having the same issue with my 5" Uconnect turning off and reseting. I've got a Jeep Sport S JLU. Firmware is up to date. I can reliably recreate the bug by connecting an Apple device running iOS 12 through USB. I've tried multiple iPhone, iPods and iPads running other iOS versions over USB and I cannot get the system to shut off. It only happens for me with iOS12. If I play music over bluetooth from an iOS 12 device it works great, not shutting off. The issue only exists for me over USB.

One caveat... I installed the Alpine PSS-23WRA powered sub and amp (which incidentally is expensive but fantastic). I can't rule that out as part of the problem because I didn't get my iOS 12 device until after the sub was installed. That said, it works fine with any device not running iOS 12.

A theory... In iOS 12 Apple added a feature called USB restricted mode which is intended to make devices more secure to threats over USB. I suspect that may have something to do with this issue.

Last edited:

Skot JL

First Name
Skot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl Wrangler Sport
I did the latest iOS 12 update on my iPhone X last week and now my 5” cuts out after one minute with USB connected. This is from USB1. It will not connect at all to USB2 in center console. I can play through Bluetooth fine however as soon as you plug in USB to charge it takes over and cuts out after a minute. I have not done the firmware and will try that. It does sound like it is a apple issue and not UConnect. Anyone know if you can disable the audio USB?
Sorry to hear you're having the same issue. I believe if you disable auto play in Settings, it will prevent your iPhone from playing when you connect via USB.

hammerheadnc

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport 3.6L (Punky), 2016 BMW R1200GS Adventure (Big Red)
Sorry to hear you're having the same issue. I believe if you disable auto play in Settings, it will prevent your iPhone from playing when you connect via USB.
Thanks I will try that today

gmarsh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL
My Jeep is doing the same thing except that it's doing that constantly when using the radio or any other audio through Android auto or Apple carplay. It is very annoying.the only time that works perfectly is if I cut the car off while leaving the radio or any audio I have playing on then it will stop intermittently cutting off. I can't wait until they have a fix for this. This problem only happens when using a.m., FM, Sirius XM, Android auto, and Apple carplay. It does not happen when I am on a phone call.

Sponsored

chicoricopico

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport

Sad that I have to say this, but this is STILL happening more than a year later. My 5" still reboots after replacement with new one. What did you ever find as a solution @jhnnymac ?

chicoricopico

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport

@Skot JL this is ABSOLUTELY as iOS12 issue, and unfortunately still is. Did you ever figure anything out on your end?

Buzzard67

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL wrangler unlimited

I have the exact same problem. Jeep is giving me the runaround on this.

Buzzard67

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL wrangler unlimited
Reolution onmy issue. The dealer did a massive firmware update on the radio and now the issue has finally f*cked off. It’s 100% a firmware issue.
Thanks. My radio would not accept firmware update. I’ll try another dealership next month
Sponsored