Sponsored

UConnect 5” reboots when USB ports used it touchFIXED!

BombusHuntii

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler
Hey all! I recently noticed a problem with my 5” Uconnect where any time a phone was plugged into either of the USB ports it would reboot the unit about 1 minute after it was plugged in. After trying multiple phones and multiple USB cables the issue still persisted. I scheduled an appointment and took it to the dealer.

Notes from the dealer:
Checked DTCS, found none. Checked Star case and TSB. Found none. Checked radio update and found available. Updated radio from 181002 to 182808. Connected phone. Issue no longer exists.

Issue fixed! What is interesting is my Jeep Wave vehicle they gave me was a Dodge half ton with a 5” Uconnect in it. I could not believe how much better it ran. Now that my Jeep’s has been updated it seems a lot snappier and I am not seeing a lot of the issues I saw before.

I still agree for the price of the vehicle the radio is REALLY bad however with this update it has resolved most of the issues. The Service Tech told me the update came out in November so if you are seeing issues it might be worth taking it in for the update.
Sponsored

chicoricopico

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
Hey all! I recently noticed a problem with my 5” Uconnect where any time a phone was plugged into either of the USB ports it would reboot the unit about 1 minute after it was plugged in. After trying multiple phones and multiple USB cables the issue still persisted. I scheduled an appointment and took it to the dealer.

Notes from the dealer:
Checked DTCS, found none. Checked Star case and TSB. Found none. Checked radio update and found available. Updated radio from 181002 to 182808. Connected phone. Issue no longer exists.

Issue fixed! What is interesting is my Jeep Wave vehicle they gave me was a Dodge half ton with a 5” Uconnect in it. I could not believe how much better it ran. Now that my Jeep’s has been updated it seems a lot snappier and I am not seeing a lot of the issues I saw before.

I still agree for the price of the vehicle the radio is REALLY bad however with this update it has resolved most of the issues. The Service Tech told me the update came out in November so if you are seeing issues it might be worth taking it in for the update.
So glad you were able to resolve the issue @BombusHuntii . I've had the same issue and have been back to the dealership 5 different times to try and get this issue resolved. They went all the way to completely replacing my 5" uconnect with a brand new unit (assuming that it had the latest firmware update). Worked better for about 20 days and then the problem started up again and now is back with a vengeance.

Have you been still plugging your phone into usb without any issues? Would be interested to hear.

Ice15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
I have this same issue. I have taken my Jeep in 3 times to receive updates and software refresh. Still no luck. Bluetooth works just fine. Anytime the usb is being used, the whole thing shuts off and resets about 45secs to a minute into a song. Took my Jeep to a different Mopar service center and they are looking into it further. Hoping I can get this resolved soon! I’ve considered upgrading the stereo but there aren’t many aftermarket options yet.

chicoricopico

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have this same issue. I have taken my Jeep in 3 times to receive updates and software refresh. Still no luck. Bluetooth works just fine. Anytime the usb is being used, the whole thing shuts off and resets about 45secs to a minute into a song. Took my Jeep to a different Mopar service center and they are looking into it further. Hoping I can get this resolved soon! I’ve considered upgrading the stereo but there aren’t many aftermarket options yet.
Yes, exact same thing going on @Ice15 bluetooth of course works fine, just takes forever to connect. For me its the principle of the damn thing working like its supposed to. This 5" Uconnect is by far the worst radio I've ever experienced in terms of functionality.

I hear you about taking it to a different dealer, unfortunately I think this thing goes all the way up the chain to Jeep. The dealers have no power to fix the firmware (which I believe is the real problem), this would have to be developed and sent from much higher up the food chain. The thing that amazes me is the lengths they go through to prevent us from upgrading this POS radio to a 7" or 8.4". The way that it comes from the factory is what you're stuck with. I only wish I would have know before I drove off the lot.

Please let us know if you have any luck with a fix.

zeak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I was having a problem with my 6 mos old jlu where the radio would shut off if I had the phone connected via the aux cord and playing music after a minute and a half. Took it to the dealer (koons in Tyson’s va). First sales rep didn’t understand what I told him even though I explained in detail and told him about the forum. A day later he left me a message saying the car was ready. When I went to pick it up he wasn’t there but the paperwork said they would need more time to explore. I was dumbfounded. Luckily, the woman who checked me out was a warranty manager and clearly knew about this as a widespread problem. She had me bring back the car a few days later after ordering a new radio, replaced it, and I’ve had no problem since.
If you have this same problem, don’t let the dealer drag things out. They know about this and a new radio should fix it.

Sponsored

chicoricopico

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was having a problem with my 6 mos old jlu where the radio would shut off if I had the phone connected via the aux cord and playing music after a minute and a half. Took it to the dealer (koons in Tyson’s va). First sales rep didn’t understand what I told him even though I explained in detail and told him about the forum. A day later he left me a message saying the car was ready. When I went to pick it up he wasn’t there but the paperwork said they would need more time to explore. I was dumbfounded. Luckily, the woman who checked me out was a warranty manager and clearly knew about this as a widespread problem. She had me bring back the car a few days later after ordering a new radio, replaced it, and I’ve had no problem since.
If you have this same problem, don’t let the dealer drag things out. They know about this and a new radio should fix it.

Thanks for the post @zeak . Yes, I've had the dealer fully replace my 5". The fix lasted for about 30 days. No problems with rebooting at all. Then, right around 30 days, the problem reappeared and it started doing it all over again. Hopefully you won't have the same experience and the fix will stick. Can I ask how long ago they replaced the radio for you?

zeak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
That’s a bummer.

It’s been two weeks so far with no problem for me.

What’s the dealer proposing for you now that the radio replacement has failed?

Last edited:

chicoricopico

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s a bummer.

It’s been two weeks so far with no problem for me.

What’s the dealer proposing for you now that the radio replacement has failed?
Unfortunately, nothing. They are working with Jeep/FCA/Uconnect and no one seems to be able to provide a solution to this problem. They've replaced the radio, replaced the media hub (where the usb and aux connect) and yet problem is still there. Reboots everytime I plug my phone in. Frustrating as hell. Its drug on for 5 months now with no fix.

OP
OP
BombusHuntii

BombusHuntii

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler
Hi all, well the issue finally resurfaced after about 6 months. Took it back into the dealer and now there is a TSB out! TSB 08-084-19. Dealer added notes they found the TSB that addresses radio resetting issue updating radio to 1848.24 (186002Y8). It has now been almost a month and have had zero resets.

Sponsored

LA12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Hi all, well the issue finally resurfaced after about 6 months. Took it back into the dealer and now there is a TSB out! TSB 08-084-19. Dealer added notes they found the TSB that addresses radio resetting issue updating radio to 1848.24 (186002Y8). It has now been almost a month and have had zero resets.
I have this same issue with my 2019 Wrangler Sport. Radio reboots when either USB is plugged into a phone. Took to dealer on 12/3/19 and dealer couldn't find anything wrong so they are replacing the radio tomorrow. Wonder why the dealer didn't know anything about the TSB you mention? I will give them the number. I can't believe this has been going on for as long as I have seen in posts on this website and Jeep keeps producing the same radio.

chicoricopico

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have this same issue with my 2019 Wrangler Sport. Radio reboots when either USB is plugged into a phone. Took to dealer on 12/3/19 and dealer couldn't find anything wrong so they are replacing the radio tomorrow. Wonder why the dealer didn't know anything about the TSB you mention? I will give them the number. I can't believe this has been going on for as long as I have seen in posts on this website and Jeep keeps producing the same radio.

Agree with @BombusHuntii . The TSB works. I have been one of the loudest complainers about this issue. Including the fact that the dealers act like you are the crazy one when you tell them that many people are having this issue. After escalating my case all the way up the ladder with FCA, they were finally able to get this TSB update and it has been over a month now with no re-boots of the radio.

That being said... the 5" Uconnect still sucks as far as radios go, but at least the reboot when plugged in via USB has stopped.

You'll have to go into the dealership and really assert with these people that you actually know what you're talking about.

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2.0T eTorque
Question for all of you guys. I haven't had a reseting issue, my issue is my Uconnect with 5" screen doesn't keep time for shit. It looses a minute or so every week. Uconnect website shows no updates and many others saying no fix. I just can't wrap my head around I bought a 35K vehicle that can't even keep accurate time.

Last edited:

chicoricopico

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Question for all of you guys. I haven't had a resting issue my issue is my Uconnect with 5" screen doesn't keep time for shit. It looses a minute or so every week. Uconnect website shows no updates and many others saying no fix. I just can't wrap my head around I bought a 35K vehicle that can't even keep accurate time.

Agreed @AlexJeepVB . Insane that the time drifts so much. Again. the tech in this radio sucks. Don't think there will ever be an update for that particular fault.
Sponsored