Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you Matt your explanations and help,

On my side I had bought a portable SSD of 480 GB
https://www.prodimex.ch/adata-sd600q-external-ssd-480-gb-(red)-asd600q-480gu31-crd-111978_en.pdf
to put in my 8500 FLAC (high quality) music files.

After my tests, my Jeep only saw about a quarter of them. So I transformed all my FLAC into "MP3, 320, CBR" ... same problem.

I transformed my "MP3, 320, CBR" into "MP3, 160, VBR" to save space and I ordered this USB key
https://www.samsung.com/us/computin...sb-3-1-flash-drive-fit-plus-64gb-muf-64ab-am/
I haven't received it yet, it should arrive today.

I hope these 64 GB will be fully visible. With my "MP3, 160, VBR" MP3's they will just be able to go on it.

I'll be back here for my feedback as soon as possible. THANK YOU for the link to the program to make playlists
Steph:)
Sponsored

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I upgrade from a 7"( with Alpine sound system) to the 8.4" Uconnect with software version USA-IR-21.10.0-20180605-109W in my Sport S recently.

I am able to use USB 1 (USB 2 in console only charges) to connect a 64GB Sandisk USB 3.1 micro thumb drive formatted in MacOS extended (journaled). I have 20 GB of music. I used a Mac program called "Playlist Export" to load my music and playlists onto the USB drive. I wish I could use USB 2 in the console but the micro USB drive doesn't protrude all that much.

I leave it plugged in and works just fine.

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for this information, my 64 GB key is soon at home.

My 480 GB SSD had the same problems, folders and files "disappeared" either on USB 1 or USB 2.

Can't wait for my tests with the 64 Gb, I drastically reduced my FLAC (220 GB) in MP3 for a total of "only" 37 GB. To be continued ...

captainstabbins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I used a 1tb portable hard drive with flac, mp3, and wav files and all showed. Took about 2 minutes to show up on the screen. The only issue I had was that it would only play a single album then stop. Did not continuously play. I also have a FIIO Flac player with 128GB memory card and that plays no problem. Both where connected via the console usb.

ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU, 2018 Buick Enclave Avenir
Occupation
U.S. Air Force Active Duty (Retired), U.S. Air Force GS Civilian (Current)
Thank you Matt your explanations and help,

On my side I had bought a portable SSD of 480 GB
https://www.prodimex.ch/adata-sd600q-external-ssd-480-gb-(red)-asd600q-480gu31-crd-111978_en.pdf
to put in my 8500 FLAC (high quality) music files.

After my tests, my Jeep only saw about a quarter of them. So I transformed all my FLAC into "MP3, 320, CBR" ... same problem.

I transformed my "MP3, 320, CBR" into "MP3, 160, VBR" to save space and I ordered this USB key
https://www.samsung.com/us/computin...sb-3-1-flash-drive-fit-plus-64gb-muf-64ab-am/
I haven't received it yet, it should arrive today.

I hope these 64 GB will be fully visible. With my "MP3, 160, VBR" MP3's they will just be able to go on it.

I'll be back here for my feedback as soon as possible. THANK YOU for the link to the program to make playlists
Steph:)
You are welcome, Steph. I will be interested to see how your adjustments work for you.

Out of curiosity, I see you are in Switzerland. Are you Swiss or an American living there? I ask because I have many great memories of trips to Switzerland when I lived in Europe as a kid (my dad was in the US Air Force for 30 years) and later as an adult with my own family (I was in the US Air Force for 28 years). We camped in Lauterbrunnen many times--our favorite place in Europe and truly a beautiful village in a beautiful country that has remained almost unchanged since we first went there in 1970. Our last visit was in 2005. Of my 13 years living in Germany, England, Austria, and Belgium, there is no doubt Switzerland was one of the most beautiful countries we had the privilege of visiting.

Sponsored

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hello Matt

I am "only Swiss", hence my great difficulties to read and write on the forum :(

I'm more on the side of the city with the "water jet";)

I'll be back here as soon as I've done my tests in my Jeep, I can't these days, I'll be back as soon as possible. :like:

ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hello Matt

I am "only Swiss", hence my great difficulties to read and write on the forum :(

I'm more on the side of the city with the "water jet";)

I'll be back here as soon as I've done my tests in my Jeep, I can't these days, I'll be back as soon as possible. :like:
Your English is way better than my German, French, or Italian, and your posts are very understandable. Great job!

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It's good, but only thanks to the internet and automatic translators, and that's my problem.:crying:

TexasFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon
I've been struggling with this same issue. I'm disappointed, because, I've owned multiple older Mopar products, across all marques, with earlier versions of uConnect. Until my new 2019 Wrangler Rubicon with the 8.4 Nav option, I could play my entire collection of music just fine. My collection is around 200GB, 24k tracks. In the earlier vehicles, 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn, and 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit, I simply used a 256GB SD card (full size) formatted in FAT 32. To format in Windows a disk of this size in FAT 32 you'll need to download freeware for this purpose, since Windows won't do it on a disk over 32GB capacity. On later Mopar, pre uConnect 4, I switched to USB thumb drives, 256GB, formatted the same way.

All my music showed up fine (sans Apple's new format... m3u? I forget, but I had to convert, it, and just started purchasing from Amazon instead of iTunes, though I organize all music in iTunes), artwork showed fine (though in 2014 needed to be below a certain pixel like 300x300) and all music reloaded easily between restarts, without reindexing--index was saved between vehicle starts. On the SD Card, I locked it for editing, otherwise uconnect would alter file metadata, messing up sync from PC if sync software was looking to update files that didn't match date/time modified on the PC music collection.

The point is, you could easily keep a large built in music collection on previous version of uConnect, with a little prep.

Right now, my new Jeep is a disappointment. I took a 256GB USB 3.0 thumbdrive (Samsung) out of my 2018 Mustang, which I traded in on the Jeep. The thumbdrive was formatted FAT 32, and all music showed up and functioned fine in the Mustang. Same works just fine in my 2017 Silverado. Both vehicles have factory Nav, usb ports. But in my 2019 Wrangler, only the first half or so of my collection shows up.

USB behavior is the same no matter if I use USB port 1, 2, or 3. Only half my collection shows up, alphabetically the first half. It indexes after 10 minutes all 12,000 some odd songs, and saves the index between vehicle starts, and even if I move the thumbdrive from USB port to USB port--it recognizes it and the index appears immediately. Navigating the collection is quick and artwork shows up fine.

So far, what I've determined with testing is this: No matter the USB port, the limit is on capacity: ~ 100GB It stops indexing beyond that, and no error is given. The rest of the music simply does not show up. It starts with the folder structure in alphabetical order.

NTFS and FAT 32 both work, and the size limitation and performance is the same with either. Zero difference between the two in uConnect 4. It will not read exFAT.

So, my solution, that I'm going to try, is this: split my music between two 128GB thumb drives, less than 100GB of data per drive, with first half in USB 2 and 2d half in USB 3. Though alternatively I will test using a 256GB sdcard as worked in previous uConnect, and plug it in to the USB via USB SD card reader. I doubt this will work, but I will rule it out anyway.

It's crazy that older versions of uConnect worked fine with large amounts of files and the "latest and greatest" does not. That's simply idiotic.

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for your comment.

On my side, I also continued my tests with my 64 GB USB key (formatted in FAT32 with a special software), it seems to finally work and have all the folders and all the songs.

I created a "playlist" file with https://www.mp3tag.de/en/ and it also seems to work, I still need to do some more tests.

Here are my results so far, it's amazing for a recent vehicle to have so many problems. Anyway, anyway...

Sponsored

TexasFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon
I finally got my Jeep back from the shop and tested my splitting the music collection between two 128GB USB 3.0 Drives, each with less than 100GB of music on them. I can now see all my music. I just have to switch between USB2 and USB3 where I have the two drives plugged in, to see each half.

I did test the 256GB SD card in a USB adaptor, and that did not work, as expected. Only saw the first 100GB of the music on it.

ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I finally got my Jeep back from the shop and tested my splitting the music collection between two 128GB USB 3.0 Drives, each with less than 100GB of music on them. I can now see all my music. I just have to switch between USB2 and USB3 where I have the two drives plugged in, to see each half.

I did test the 256GB SD card in a USB adaptor, and that did not work, as expected. Only saw the first 100GB of the music on it.
Cool! Thanks for the update. I need to play with putting my USB drive in the USB2 slot some more, as I'd prefer to have it completely out of the way and the cover to USB1 closed unless I need it. The one time I put the drive in USB2 it didn't recognize it right off, but I have not tested it further. Don't see any reason why it would not, so probably just a glitch that I can hopefully overcome. Other than that, though, I really like the overall interface of UConnect in the Jeep form. Sounds like it may have a major update coming this year, so we'll see what changes that brings...

madmax71470

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler unlimited sport s
2019 jlu sport s with uconnect 7 using usb drive, or usb-micro sd reader with card has no problems with 128gb with ntfs format, and about 1400 files (wave loss-less) both in, and out of folders. Folders don't seem to make a diff, all songs even ones in folders show in list. I can ask (voice command) to play all, or folder. Shuffle though it shows as on does not work when playing a folder, it just plays them in order. Also was not very easy to go back from folder to whole drive. out of frustration yelling commands at radio, pulled usb, and reinserted, and picked it to get back to whole drive (shuffle does work properly here). Going to try 2 128gb drives one in each port to see if that works. Typically formatting a large drive to ext fat tries to trick the sys to read more but most times it only sees the first 32gb, and ignores the rest. Will test 128gb, and 256gb in ext fat.

Sierra Nevada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubi JL Unlimited
While waiting for my JL Rubicon to come in (ordered last week, VIN received today), I am trying to kill time by loading a thumb drive with my music. So...my question is...what is the maximum size thumb drive that I can use in my JL? I probably don't need all that space, but would like to know what parameters I have to stay within.
With Uconnect 8.4, 32GB is "officially" the max limit, fat32 format ... others have reported larger thumb drives work. Some thumb drives work, some don't ... hit or miss. I use Samsung 32GB. Playlists are supported.

Uconnect USB Media Player | Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL / JLU) - Rubicon, Sahara, Sport, 4xe, 392 - JLwranglerforums.com

Last edited:

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon + 2014 JK Sport S
Why not just play music off of your phone? No storage limit with that. You can also use an old cell phone and connect it to CarPlay/Android auto or just play through the BT connection.
Sponsored