JoeValkIS

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Can Am Spyder F3T
Vehicle Showcase
While waiting for my JL Rubicon to come in (ordered last week, VIN received today), I am trying to kill time by loading a thumb drive with my music. So...my question is...what is the maximum size thumb drive that I can use in my JL? I probably don't need all that space, but would like to know what parameters I have to stay within.
Sponsored

Hughesonthenet

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue 2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
IT Director
While waiting for my JL Rubicon to come in (ordered last week, VIN received today), I am trying to kill time by loading a thumb drive with my music. So...my question is...what is the maximum size thumb drive that I can use in my JL? I probably don't need all that space, but would like to know what parameters I have to stay within.
Well, this isn't an exact answer, but the info may be helpful ... :like:

My wife is driving a 2017 Dodge Durango GT. It has the UConnect 8.4, and it has an SD card slot. Googling led me to believe that 32GB was the max size that could be used. There was some info out there that some people had supposedly figured a way to make a 64GB work, but there was more data against that idea than for it.

In the end, while the JL has a USB slot rather than an SD card, I'm betting the system still has the same cap. As a result, I'm prepping a 32GB drive, which frankly is more than enough for me.

OP
OP
JoeValkIS

JoeValkIS

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I haven't gotten to the part in the manual where it states that the UConnect has a SD slot. My plan was to plug a micro USB Thumb Drive into the USB port in the armrest. The micro thumb drive would be small enough to not be in the way or suspect to damage with anything in the armrest. If it truly has an SD Card, I may have to adjust my thinking a little. Thanks for the info.

Hughesonthenet

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue 2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
IT Director
I guess I haven't gotten to the part in the manual where it states that the UConnect has a SD slot. My plan was to plug a micro USB Thumb Drive into the USB port in the armrest. The micro thumb drive would be small enough to not be in the way or suspect to damage with anything in the armrest. If it truly has an SD Card, I may have to adjust my thinking a little. Thanks for the info.
No. I don’t believe that it does have an SD. I said my wife’s Uconnect in her 2017 Durango has one. But, since it’s the same Uconnect, I’m betting they have the same core limitations, like a 32GB max.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Guy's here have posted that USB stick can't be left in when you turn off JL and then see the JL read it when the JL is restarted. So, when you start your JL, you will have to pull stick in compartment and then plug back in for Infotainment Center to read/use. I have not verified this myself.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JoeValkIS

JoeValkIS

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the clarification!

OP
OP
JoeValkIS

JoeValkIS

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That has to be a glitch that will be corrected with a future update...at least I hope so. Considering that my JL won't be built until April...with a June or July delivery...I'm hoping that they have this resolved by then. :D

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
That has to be a glitch that will be corrected with a future update...at least I hope so. Considering that my JL won't be built until April...with a June or July delivery...I'm hoping that they have this resolved by then. :D
Yes, you'd like to think that a future firmware update will remedy the issue. Hopefully, if enough JL owner's bring the issue to light/complain, that the firmware will be forth coming and not to far down the road.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
You might be limited to 32GB simply due to the file system. I don't believe UConnect supports NTFS or exFAT, but I could be mistaken.

Guy's here have posted that USB stick can't be left in when you turn off JL and then see the JL read it when the JL is restarted. So, when you start your JL, you will have to pull stick in compartment and then plug back in for Infotainment Center to read/use. I have not verified this myself.
You can leave it plugged in. It works just fine.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
snipe:
You can leave it plugged in. It works just fine.
Was a guy here the other day saying if he turned JL off while stick inserted and then back on with stick still inserted that Infotainment Center did not see it.

Thanks for chiming in and saying otherwise.

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
snipe:

Was a guy here the other day saying if he turned JL off while stick inserted and then back on with stick still inserted that Infotainment Center did not see it.

Thanks for chiming in and saying otherwise.
It's entirely possible he's got a bad stick. There's been a couple times where my JL had a problem reading my drive after I've added files to it, but this thing is incredibly old and cheap. However, I've never had to unplug it and plug it back in when starting up my Jeep to get it to read. In fact, it picks right up where it left off.

Rheacock

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JL

I have a 2018 JL Unlimited Sahara with the 8.4 uconnect. It's updated to the latest firmware. I'm currently using a 128G thumb drive, works fine, EXCEPT, it tells me i'm over the file limit. I have about 17K songs on it, but it will only recognize a bit over 9400. Thumb drive size dosn't seem to matter. MP3s are kept in folders "music/artist/album/music.mp3" format. Entire artists are missing. I don't have special characters in the directory or file names. I don't have any folders with more than 250 files. I can't seem to find any documentation on the file limitations.

Any thoughts?

ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU, 2018 Buick Enclave Avenir
Occupation
U.S. Air Force Active Duty (Retired), U.S. Air Force GS Civilian (Current)
I have a 2018 JL Unlimited Sahara with the 8.4 uconnect. It's updated to the latest firmware. I'm currently using a 128G thumb drive, works fine, EXCEPT, it tells me i'm over the file limit. I have about 17K songs on it, but it will only recognize a bit over 9400. Thumb drive size dosn't seem to matter. MP3s are kept in folders "music/artist/album/music.mp3" format. Entire artists are missing. I don't have special characters in the directory or file names. I don't have any folders with more than 250 files. I can't seem to find any documentation on the file limitations.

Any thoughts?
Did you ever get a response on this one or figure it out? I'm trying to use a 64GB Sandisk Cruze USB 3.0 stick, and while it recognizes it, loads quickly, and will display part of what I loaded on it, it won't show the majority of music folders. I'm still under 32GB total load and it is formatted in FAT32. Haven't found the magic answer yet, and hoping someone has. Thanks!

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
I'm finding that out.

I have the same problem, on my 8500 MP3 files, I have some that are not seen.

In the same directory, I even have a part of them that is seen and not the other!?

What's reading simple MP3 files in the 21st century ?????

Has anyone found a simple solution to make a directory list with subdirectories and MP3s in it play completely ?????

I can't believe how many problems there are on such a recent car, from simply reading files to the much more serious problem of welding on a chassis...
:headbang:

ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU, 2018 Buick Enclave Avenir
Occupation
U.S. Air Force Active Duty (Retired), U.S. Air Force GS Civilian (Current)
I'm finding that out.

I have the same problem, on my 8500 MP3 files, I have some that are not seen.

In the same directory, I even have a part of them that is seen and not the other!?

What's reading simple MP3 files in the 21st century ?????

Has anyone found a simple solution to make a directory list with subdirectories and MP3s in it play completely ?????

I can't believe how many problems there are on such a recent car, from simply reading files to the much more serious problem of welding on a chassis...
:headbang:
I settled on a Sandisk Cruzer Fit 64GB USB 2.0 flash drive. Here is a link to it on Amazon, where I purchased it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MDXBTL1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was cheap, is tiny, so barely sticks out of the USB slot on the front of the dash, and works great. I need to do some more playing around with it to test out different folder/subfolder readings. I have two main folders right now: Music and Audiobooks. The music folder has just one subfolder at the moment that I titled Favorites and have dumped all my favorite driving tunes into. The Audiobooks folder has subfolders for each book I currently have loaded.

One of the guys on this forum had used a little batch file called M3U Playlist Creator (https://download.cnet.com/M3U-Playlist-Creator/3000-2141_4-76111803.html) to create playlists within folders that UConnect can read from the USB drive. You simply run the file from within the folder you want to make a playlist in and it creates it. It doesn't have a graphical interface, but for quick playlists from within folders you've dumped your music into it works really well.

I have more playing around to do, but for the moment this has made everything on my drive readable. Hope this helps a little!
:)
Sponsored