Uconnect 3 with 5 inch Radio TERRIBLE!

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL
Hey guys, I searched the forums but did not see my exact issues. I got the base JL Uconnect 3 with 5 inch Radio. I have two major problems with it. First it takes 20 seconds after I turn on the Jeep to adjust the volume. So if I had it loud before turning off the car I have to wait some time to adjust volume. This is very frustrating. Also if I am in the Radio screen and I want to go to the Media section I have to wait like 10 seconds for it to change screens. I mean this cant be acceptable? Honestly other than that I've had no issues but am I the only one with these issues or does everyone have them? Would a software update resolve the problem?
Sponsored

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
same here. was going to check with service at first oil change coming up in a couple of weeks. sometimes the radio just goes blank, and won't even start up (the start-up disclaimer screen doesn't come on), and I have to power cycle to jeep a few times, or let it sit a few hours, for it to come back. I know there is a software update available for the uconnect 4, not sure if they issued one for the 3?

OP
OP
OnNightfall

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
same here. was going to check with service at first oil change coming up in a couple of weeks. sometimes the radio just goes blank, and won't even start up (the start-up disclaimer screen doesn't come on), and I have to power cycle to jeep a few times, or let it sit a few hours, for it to come back. I know there is a software update available for the uconnect 4, not sure if they issued one for the 3?
I spoke to Jeep Wave eChat and they just said bring it in for service at the dealer. I also have a recall so I may have to bring it in prior to my first oil change. I have not had it go blank thank god. From my research updates are for 5.0 and 7.0 Uconnect. I have read another member here went to battle with Jeep and received a $500 check. Honestly I'd rather them upgrade me to the uConnect 7” but if that's not possible I'd use the $500 to upgrade the head unit myself. I'd like to hear others chime in.

Last edited:

northernILJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
There was an update issued about a week ago that, for some reason, I cannot get on the uConnect site. My screen has gone blank a few times (ironically, today, just after it started raining) and I agree with the volume delay. I listen to a lot of Podcasts and I need the volume higher...I'm just waiting for the first time I turn on the car with the jacked up volume and "I Touch Myself" comes blaring out.

OP
OP
OnNightfall

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There was an update issued about a week ago that, for some reason, I cannot get on the uConnect site. My screen has gone blank a few times (ironically, today, just after it started raining) and I agree with the volume delay. I listen to a lot of Podcasts and I need the volume higher...I'm just waiting for the first time I turn on the car with the jacked up volume and "I Touch Myself" comes blaring out.
LOL

Check
https://www.driveuconnect.com/support/software-update.html

I checked for an update and:

"Your Vehicle is up to date
There are no updates available at this time for your 2018 equipped with this system."

Sponsored

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah the radio is garbage..... The base radio in a KIA Rio is probably better than this.. It's so bad I almost think it should have came with an 8-Track player..

Sadly, this is what Jeep chose to put in a 40K vehicle and it does not look like upgrading it is an easy option..

OP
OP
OnNightfall

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah the radio is garbage..... The base radio in a KIA Rio is probably better than this.. It's so bad I almost think it should have came with an 8-Track player..

Sadly, this is what Jeep chose to put in a 40K vehicle and it does not look like upgrading it is an easy option..
I would like to know if upgrading it to the 7 inch or even 8.4 inch screens is possible and what it takes to accomplish that. The hardware aspect is easy I've seen a YouTube video how to remove the base unit but will the wiring be the same with the other units and does it require any special programming to make it work etc...

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I would like to know if upgrading it to the 7 inch or even 8.4 inch screens is possible and what it takes to accomplish that. The hardware aspect is easy I've seen a YouTube video how to remove the base unit but will the wiring be the same with the other units and does it require any special programming to make it work etc...
There is a thread going on about it. It's a fairly easy task but you loose the ability to turn radio on and off and the only way to adjust volume is using the steering wheel controls.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/upgrading-from-the-5-uconnect3-to-7-uconnect4.6419/

OP
OP
OnNightfall

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

thewolfman2010

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S (JL)
LOL

Check
https://www.driveuconnect.com/support/software-update.html

I checked for an update and:

"Your Vehicle is up to date
There are no updates available at this time for your 2018 equipped with this system."
I've been leading the charge on these issues with another guy for a month or two now.

Hopefully I can answer some of your questions...
  • There IS a software update for the 5" and 7" UConnect Radios. The dealerships get the first and then they are released to the UConnect Support website a couple weeks later. They were recently released and have not been loaded to the UConnect website. Currently, the only way to receive the update is to bring your vehicle into the dealership.
  • The software update is supposed to fix the bluetooth echo, power issues, responsiveness, etc.
  • You CAN upgrade your 5" radio to the 7" UConnect 4 radio. The process for the radio swap itself is pretty simple. If you want the physical radio controls and functioning A/C, it will be significantly more work.
  • Based on previous discussions I have had with Jeep Wave and local dealerships, they WILL NOT upgrade you to the bigger radios because of vehicle compatibility and how many additional parts / features are required to make everything functional. Even if you are willing to pay, they won't do it.
  • If you have additional questions, shoot me a PM or find me here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/upgrading-from-the-5-uconnect3-to-7-uconnect4.6419/

Sponsored

OP
OP
OnNightfall

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been leading the charge on these issues with another guy for a month or two now.

Hopefully I can answer some of your questions...
  • There IS a software update for the 5" and 7" UConnect Radios. The dealerships get the first and then they are released to the UConnect Support website a couple weeks later. They were recently released and have not been loaded to the UConnect website. Currently, the only way to receive the update is to bring your vehicle into the dealership.
  • The software update is supposed to fix the bluetooth echo, power issues, responsiveness, etc.
  • You CAN upgrade your 5" radio to the 7" UConnect 4 radio. The process for the radio swap itself is pretty simple. If you want the physical radio controls and functioning A/C, it will be significantly more work.
  • Based on previous discussions I have had with Jeep Wave and local dealerships, they WILL NOT upgrade you to the bigger radios because of vehicle compatibility and how many additional parts / features are required to make everything functional. Even if you are willing to pay, they won't do it.
  • If you have additional questions, shoot me a PM or find me here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/upgrading-from-the-5-uconnect3-to-7-uconnect4.6419/
Thanks so much for your wealth of knowledge on the subject. Seems like I will be needing a trip to the dealer to fix my radio now... Def. considering that 7" model...

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks so much for your wealth of knowledge on the subject. Seems like I will be needing a trip to the dealer to fix my radio now... Def. considering that 7" model...
I am kicking around the 7" as well but not thrilled about not being able to turn it off and only being able to adjust volume on the steering wheel...

FWIW here is the part numbers:

7" radio: 68297546AE (with Sat) -- $348
https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/mopar,68297546AE,touchscreen+information+display+screen,21204

Bezel: 6AB53TX7AA - $22
https://www.moparpart.com/oem-parts/mopar-bezel-instrument-panel-6ab53tx7aa

Sirius Antenna 68293949AA - $41
https://www.moparwholesaleparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-antenna-satellite-68293949aa

Sirius Antenna Extension Cable 5064159AG -- $24
https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/mopar-wiring-satellite-radio~5064159ag.html

Not bad really for $435'ish total...

Last edited:
OP
OP
OnNightfall

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow! Super affordable. Appreciate the links! Got to think about this one.

wdematt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL
Purchased mine 5 days ago and experiencing the same problems you are. The worst part is if you had the radio turned up the last time you cut the Jeep off, it will be blaring and you can't cut it down until the radio decides to respond. I'm having severe FM reception issues as well. I have an appointment next Tuesday with the dealer to get it looked at. Also, no loaner will be provided which makes things even better! Other than that I'm happy with the purchase.

OP
OP
OnNightfall

OnNightfall

First Name
Johann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I feel your pain. That volume issue is very frustrating.
Sponsored