Sponsored

Uconnect® absolute POS!! Stay away from it...

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
I'm in a 2018 and on my 3rd radio after warranty replacement. This one seems to be working for about 8 months now.. fingers crossed.
Sponsored

Jinnjue

First Name
Jinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler jl 2 door Mojito Green
Vehicle Showcase
Is there any difference HW-wise between the 2018 and 2021 8.4" systems?

Mine has worked flawlessly. Pre-covid I used to be on different rental cars about one a week and U-connect has always been the most trouble free and easier to use system for Carplay and other functions. BMW, VW and some older GM systems were the worse.

I hope you guys having problems can get it sorted out soon. The system is actually a pleasure to use, when it is working right.
Wish I had that kind of luck 😒 GM cars I never had a problem with 🤷🏽‍♂️ But my Jeep radio has been an issue since day one. Going on 3 years now 🤬😒🤬

Jinnjue

First Name
Jinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler jl 2 door Mojito Green
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in a 2018 and on my 3rd radio after warranty replacement. This one seems to be working for about 8 months now.. fingers crossed.
This is my second. Hopefully third time is a charm? 🙏🏽 If they even bother to replace it again? 🤷🏽‍♂️😒

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Curious to hear how you made out.

I don't have all the problems you're having... with mine it is Uconnect that fails. No assist, and other Uconnect features do not work. I'm up to 6 hours between the phone calls and time trying to fix it.

I won't even bore you with all the different stupid "ideas" that I've had to try -- all failed.

Like others have said, if I knew that the 8.4 was such a piece of junk I would have done the Heig10 with the Stinger.

I'm passively thinking of selling the 8.4 if I thought I could get good coin for it and do the Stinger deal.

I am holding out hope that my 1-week-old Jeep with under 300 miles on it will get some attention from Jeep... but... so far, nothing but BS.

I think they said the "next time" I call they will finally open a ticket -- I don't know really know if that will yield me anything.

I'm trying to prevent going to the dealer -- although I have to in order to fix the auto-return on the right turn signal cancel.

I also own a VW and I was under the impression that nothing was worse than a VW. LOL. Let's see if Jeep wins it.

I've tagged "JeepCares" a bunch of times, but no communication of any kind has been received.

I believe there is a survey for initial quality and some other stuff... so, I have to think if Jeep is smart they'll hear me.
Hey Pete,

We're sorry to hear about the obstacles you've endured while trying to get your Uconnect concerns properly resolved. We reached out to you a couple days ago on a separate thread, but we understand how easily notifications can get buried, so we wanted to reach back out to you.

Please send our team a private message with more details and your previous Case number or VIN so we can look into this. We want to make sure that your concerns are appropriately taken care of.

Thanks,

Courtney
Jeep Cares

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
Well.. the replacement Uconnect is now freezing again just like the old one which was replaced. That does it... this POS is coming off and will be replaced with another brand unit. I don't want hear about Uconnect anything as long as I own any vehicles!! What a POS ...!!!!

Sponsored

Adam1699

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee srt
This POS unit that came with my JL has been nothing but trouble and Uconnect doesn't give 2 bits about even trying to fix the issue. If I had to do it again, I would order my Jeep with the cheapest Uconnect unit and then just upgrade with an aftermarket several of which look pretty darn good!

So here is the story:

I have been having issues with my 8.4 Uconnect "Premium" stereo unit pretty much since day one. I have taken it to the dealer on many occasions and all they have done is to reset the unit or install a new software when it was available and pretty much all they arre telling me is that there is a new firrmware coming up in the first quarter of 2021 but it is not out yet and there is nothing else they can do.

Meanwhile, the unit randomly fails to recognize my phone, apps appear and disappear at random, the unit freezes and becomes non-responsive which forces me to remove the fuses and put it back to get the unit to respond... I have learned the reset procedure and have execute it countless times--I have stopped choosing any preferences since each time I have to reset the unit it loses all my choices and so there is no point is keep setting them... All is all, it is a POS.

So in a post I complained about how Uconnect is in fact a POS and @JeepCares responded and asked me if I wanted to start a case. I said sure--why not and they put me in touch with Uconnect to see what can be done about my complaints about the functionality of the unit in my Jeep. They even assisted me in getting a case number. So when I did not hear back from Uconnect, Jeepcares looked into it and I noticed that the email from Fredy went into my junk folder. I promptly "whitelisted" email from Connect so that this does not happen again. Fredy also said he had tried to call me... but I did not have an record of any calls. Puzzling but whatever...

I was able to talk to Fredy finally and he directed me to get the software information. I spoke with him on the phone and he sent me an email with directions on how to get that information. I followed the direction, got the software version information, took a screen shot with my phone and sent the screen shot along with an email containing the information requested. That was March 25, 2021.

Since then, I have been ghosted!

I have called and left Fredy several messages and I have sent email--all of which have gone unanswered.

Today, I finally decided to talk to a supervisor. So I call Uconnect and get a Customer (dis)Service on the phone and ask to speak with a supervisor. he first ignored me and tried to get me connected with Fredy--Fredy wasn't available. I then requested again to speak with a supervisor. I was told that he isn't going to let me speak with a supervisor because the only person from whom I can ask for a supervisor is Fredy and Fredy isn't available and isn't responding to me!!

So, looks like I will have to rip this Uconnect POS from my Jeep and go with either Insane Audio or another one... Sorry about the rant! But if I can prevent anyone to do the same mistake I did, I am happy! So F-ck Uconnect.

NOTE: I am using an apple cable. I have used nothing but Apple products to connect the phone. I connect it to the center console. I have used various Apple cables... In any event, the cable does not explain the other issues like disappearing/reappearing "off road pages", and other apps at random and radio freeze etc... :like:

NOTE 2: Folks have focused on CarPlay as the possible culprit. While, also my initial thought, the unit has frozen on me even without a phone attached. Last time it did that, none of the buttons worked, I was listening to XM and the radio kept on playing but none of the buttons for volume or changing the station worked. The unit was frozen. Even after I turned the vehicle on and off, the unit stayed frozen. I had to pull the fuse to get it back to working status. So it's not CarPlay! Good guess tho!
Hi @JeepCares I have a 2018 grand Cherokee srt , only 30,000 kms , always stored in warm underground, my U connect screen is bubbling and buttons are being touched without me even touching them, also affecting my back up cam and I would assume this is a safety issue. I have done some research and it seems this is an issue many people have experienced (especially in the 2018 models). I contacted lg and they will not do anything for me when they should be standing behind there product, I am very disappointed that there is no recall on this as many people have been affected and clearly there is an issue with these screens ghost touching and delaminating, please help @JeepCares , the bubbles and ghost touching is just getting worse and worse as time passes and is becoming more and more of distraction. There must be something @JeepCares can do for me.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi @JeepCares I have a 2018 grand Cherokee srt , only 30,000 kms , always stored in warm underground, my U connect screen is bubbling and buttons are being touched without me even touching them, also affecting my back up cam and I would assume this is a safety issue. I have done some research and it seems this is an issue many people have experienced (especially in the 2018 models). I contacted lg and they will not do anything for me when they should be standing behind there product, I am very disappointed that there is no recall on this as many people have been affected and clearly there is an issue with these screens ghost touching and delaminating, please help @JeepCares , the bubbles and ghost touching is just getting worse and worse as time passes and is becoming more and more of distraction. There must be something @JeepCares can do for me.
Hi Adam1699,

Thanks for reaching out! We received your message but it appears to be locked and we are unable to respond. Are you able to unlock replies so we can assist you further from there?

Steph
Jeep Cares

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
@JeepCares can do nothing for you. They make you feel good like you are listened to and that you are heard. They provide you with ears to rant on and placate you with various hopes and dreams but ultimately, they do not have any control or authority over the dealers to make them do anything. With Uconnect, you are on your own and if you have warranty, you may have a fighting chance, and if you don't, good luck!!!

K-nuk

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, CJ7
@JeepCares can do nothing for you. They make you feel good like you are listened to and that you are heard. They provide you with ears to rant on and placate you with various hopes and dreams but ultimately, they do not have any control or authority over the dealers to make them do anything. With Uconnect, you are on your own and if you have warranty, you may have a fighting chance, and if you don't, good luck!!!
Yes - we’ll said. My experience is 100% aligned; Jeepcares does nothing, dealers feel ZERO responsibility to help and UConnect is worse than a waste of time. I tried for over a year to get my issue fixed with all three of these “entities” and it was a huge waste of time. I ended up being so frustrated that I sold the Jeep. I did get a good price on a trade in (sorry to the next owner) and bought a new Jeep - and I’ve had no problems with the newer model. I am using the same phone and cable that I used previously.

There are real issues with some units and Jeep simply isn’t being honorable / ethical / moral in how they attend to those issues.

JL Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
So it Finally happened my UConnect radio is done. First the screen slowly de-laminated but it was still working. Then the cell card fried and now the GPS says my Jeep is somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean. BUT today the touchscreen started clicking the radio presets on its own and just cycled through the channels. So now I consider the whole UConnect unit unusable. Are there any lawyers on here? I think its past time to file a class action lawsuit against Jeep since this seems to be a common problem on 2018 Jeep vehicles. And yes, I did take it to the dealer when the screen started to de-laminate and they said no extended warranty no fix. Jeep needs to be sued big for this so they lean you need to make quality products and stand by your products and not hide behind the you don't have an extended warranty excuse when the radio is obviously defective.

Sponsored

Slippery Pete

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUW XR 2.0T
This POS unit that came with my JL has been nothing but trouble and Uconnect doesn't give 2 bits about even trying to fix the issue. If I had to do it again, I would order my Jeep with the cheapest Uconnect unit and then just upgrade with an aftermarket several of which look pretty darn good!

So here is the story:

I have been having issues with my 8.4 Uconnect "Premium" stereo unit pretty much since day one. I have taken it to the dealer on many occasions and all they have done is to reset the unit or install a new software when it was available and pretty much all they arre telling me is that there is a new firrmware coming up in the first quarter of 2021 but it is not out yet and there is nothing else they can do.

Meanwhile, the unit randomly fails to recognize my phone, apps appear and disappear at random, the unit freezes and becomes non-responsive which forces me to remove the fuses and put it back to get the unit to respond... I have learned the reset procedure and have execute it countless times--I have stopped choosing any preferences since each time I have to reset the unit it loses all my choices and so there is no point is keep setting them... All is all, it is a POS.

So in a post I complained about how Uconnect is in fact a POS and @JeepCares responded and asked me if I wanted to start a case. I said sure--why not and they put me in touch with Uconnect to see what can be done about my complaints about the functionality of the unit in my Jeep. They even assisted me in getting a case number. So when I did not hear back from Uconnect, Jeepcares looked into it and I noticed that the email from Fredy went into my junk folder. I promptly "whitelisted" email from Connect so that this does not happen again. Fredy also said he had tried to call me... but I did not have an record of any calls. Puzzling but whatever...

I was able to talk to Fredy finally and he directed me to get the software information. I spoke with him on the phone and he sent me an email with directions on how to get that information. I followed the direction, got the software version information, took a screen shot with my phone and sent the screen shot along with an email containing the information requested. That was March 25, 2021.

Since then, I have been ghosted!

I have called and left Fredy several messages and I have sent email--all of which have gone unanswered.

Today, I finally decided to talk to a supervisor. So I call Uconnect and get a Customer (dis)Service on the phone and ask to speak with a supervisor. he first ignored me and tried to get me connected with Fredy--Fredy wasn't available. I then requested again to speak with a supervisor. I was told that he isn't going to let me speak with a supervisor because the only person from whom I can ask for a supervisor is Fredy and Fredy isn't available and isn't responding to me!!

So, looks like I will have to rip this Uconnect POS from my Jeep and go with either Insane Audio or another one... Sorry about the rant! But if I can prevent anyone to do the same mistake I did, I am happy! So F-ck Uconnect.

NOTE: I am using an apple cable. I have used nothing but Apple products to connect the phone. I connect it to the center console. I have used various Apple cables... In any event, the cable does not explain the other issues like disappearing/reappearing "off road pages", and other apps at random and radio freeze etc... :like:

NOTE 2: Folks have focused on CarPlay as the possible culprit. While, also my initial thought, the unit has frozen on me even without a phone attached. Last time it did that, none of the buttons worked, I was listening to XM and the radio kept on playing but none of the buttons for volume or changing the station worked. The unit was frozen. Even after I turned the vehicle on and off, the unit stayed frozen. I had to pull the fuse to get it back to working status. So it's not CarPlay! Good guess tho!
2A7FA4B3-856F-4DC4-9074-84775BA45A19.jpeg

Gbspartan80

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon 3.6 liter V6
U CONNECT IS JUNK. I HAD A DODGE BEFORE WITH THE 8.4 AND IT WAS REPLACED ON WARRANTY. IT WORKED EXCEPT THE BACK UP CAMERA WOULD GLITCH. I BOUGHT A 2018 JL with the uconnect and it worked great a few hiccups but nothing major until last Sunday. The thing would reset every three minutes. Would not take upgrade. Took to dealership and they said straight replace the radio with a refab. I smiled, the smile of irritation because of all the posts about the Uconnect and the class action lawsuit that was started in 2021. I bit the bullet and bought an aftermarket. I'll keep you posted on the install and issues. Went with Stinger it was a little more than the refurbished uconnect but I'm not risking another dollar on a uconnect. Jeeps make us broke but I really don't mind if it is quality parts

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
U CONNECT IS JUNK. I HAD A DODGE BEFORE WITH THE 8.4 AND IT WAS REPLACED ON WARRANTY. IT WORKED EXCEPT THE BACK UP CAMERA WOULD GLITCH. I BOUGHT A 2018 JL with the uconnect and it worked great a few hiccups but nothing major until last Sunday. The thing would reset every three minutes. Would not take upgrade. Took to dealership and they said straight replace the radio with a refab. I smiled, the smile of irritation because of all the posts about the Uconnect and the class action lawsuit that was started in 2021. I bit the bullet and bought an aftermarket. I'll keep you posted on the install and issues. Went with Stinger it was a little more than the refurbished uconnect but I'm not risking another dollar on a uconnect. Jeeps make us broke but I really don't mind if it is quality parts
The reviews I've read on Stinger are mixed with a lot on each side. The reason I was interested was for my 2014 GMC. I'm leaning towards an Alpine or Kenwood instead.

Gbspartan80

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon 3.6 liter V6
The reviews I've read on Stinger are mixed with a lot on each side. The reason I was interested was for my 2014 GMC. I'm leaning towards an Alpine or Kenwood instead.
Alpine was a lot more expensive. I honestly would have drove around till black Friday except that the battery would drain when it sits in the garage. It turns on every three minutes
Sponsored