Sponsored

Uconnect® absolute POS!! Stay away from it...

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
You do realize Bluetooth is a digital signal right? Bluetooth is a packet based wireless technology that transfers data cross a link. It’s impossible for audio quality to diminish through a digital signal.
Not entirely correct
Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
@Onward4x4
have you used or do you by any chance use a Tazer or similar device?

This POS unit that came with my JL has been nothing but trouble and Uconnect doesn't give 2 bits about even trying to fix the issue. If I had to do it again, I would order my Jeep with the cheapest Uconnect unit and then just upgrade with an aftermarket several of which look pretty darn good!

So here is the story:

I have been having issues with my 8.4 Uconnect "Premium" stereo unit pretty much since day one. I have taken it to the dealer on many occasions and all they have done is to reset the unit or install a new software when it was available and pretty much all they arre telling me is that there is a new firrmware coming up in the first quarter of 2021 but it is not out yet and there is nothing else they can do.

Meanwhile, the unit randomly fails to recognize my phone, apps appear and disappear at random, the unit freezes and becomes non-responsive which forces me to remove the fuses and put it back to get the unit to respond... I have learned the reset procedure and have execute it countless times--I have stopped choosing any preferences since each time I have to reset the unit it loses all my choices and so there is no point is keep setting them... All is all, it is a POS.

So in a post I complained about how Uconnect is in fact a POS and @JeepCares responded and asked me if I wanted to start a case. I said sure--why not and they put me in touch with Uconnect to see what can be done about my complaints about the functionality of the unit in my Jeep. They even assisted me in getting a case number. So when I did not hear back from Uconnect, Jeepcares looked into it and I noticed that the email from Fredy went into my junk folder. I promptly "whitelisted" email from Connect so that this does not happen again. Fredy also said he had tried to call me... but I did not have an record of any calls. Puzzling but whatever...

I was able to talk to Fredy finally and he directed me to get the software information. I spoke with him on the phone and he sent me an email with directions on how to get that information. I followed the direction, got the software version information, took a screen shot with my phone and sent the screen shot along with an email containing the information requested. That was March 25, 2021.

Since then, I have been ghosted!

I have called and left Fredy several messages and I have sent email--all of which have gone unanswered.

Today, I finally decided to talk to a supervisor. So I call Uconnect and get a Customer (dis)Service on the phone and ask to speak with a supervisor. he first ignored me and tried to get me connected with Fredy--Fredy wasn't available. I then requested again to speak with a supervisor. I was told that he isn't going to let me speak with a supervisor because the only person from whom I can ask for a supervisor is Fredy and Fredy isn't available and isn't responding to me!!

So, looks like I will have to rip this Uconnect POS from my Jeep and go with either Insane Audio or another one... Sorry about the rant! But if I can prevent anyone to do the same mistake I did, I am happy! So F-ck Uconnect.

NOTE: I am using an apple cable. I have used nothing but Apple products to connect the phone. I connect it to the center console. I have used various Apple cables... In any event, the cable does not explain the other issues like disappearing/reappearing "off road pages", and other apps at random and radio freeze etc... :like:

NOTE 2: Folks have focused on CarPlay as the possible culprit. While, also my initial thought, the unit has frozen on me even without a phone attached. Last time it did that, none of the buttons worked, I was listening to XM and the radio kept on playing but none of the buttons for volume or changing the station worked. The unit was frozen. Even after I turned the vehicle on and off, the unit stayed frozen. I had to pull the fuse to get it back to working status. So it's not CarPlay! Good guess tho!

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
odd; i find the Sirius audio quality to be fairly reasonable (when the stupid thing can maintain a signal,..)
it's not quite as good as playing off of a hard-wired device, but far better than Bluetoothing off of a phone.

That’s still a lot better sound than Sirius XM!

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
UConnect is a well executed solution but it seems design for serviceability is lacking. I have had no problems with UConnect and find that it works extremely well.

Sponsored

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
This POS unit that came with my JL has been nothing but trouble and Uconnect doesn't give 2 bits about even trying to fix the issue. If I had to do it again, I would order my Jeep with the cheapest Uconnect unit and then just upgrade with an aftermarket several of which look pretty darn good!

So here is the story:

I have been having issues with my 8.4 Uconnect "Premium" stereo unit pretty much since day one. I have taken it to the dealer on many occasions and all they have done is to reset the unit or install a new software when it was available and pretty much all they arre telling me is that there is a new firrmware coming up in the first quarter of 2021 but it is not out yet and there is nothing else they can do.

Meanwhile, the unit randomly fails to recognize my phone, apps appear and disappear at random, the unit freezes and becomes non-responsive which forces me to remove the fuses and put it back to get the unit to respond... I have learned the reset procedure and have execute it countless times--I have stopped choosing any preferences since each time I have to reset the unit it loses all my choices and so there is no point is keep setting them... All is all, it is a POS.

So in a post I complained about how Uconnect is in fact a POS and @JeepCares responded and asked me if I wanted to start a case. I said sure--why not and they put me in touch with Uconnect to see what can be done about my complaints about the functionality of the unit in my Jeep. They even assisted me in getting a case number. So when I did not hear back from Uconnect, Jeepcares looked into it and I noticed that the email from Fredy went into my junk folder. I promptly "whitelisted" email from Connect so that this does not happen again. Fredy also said he had tried to call me... but I did not have an record of any calls. Puzzling but whatever...

I was able to talk to Fredy finally and he directed me to get the software information. I spoke with him on the phone and he sent me an email with directions on how to get that information. I followed the direction, got the software version information, took a screen shot with my phone and sent the screen shot along with an email containing the information requested. That was March 25, 2021.

Since then, I have been ghosted!

I have called and left Fredy several messages and I have sent email--all of which have gone unanswered.

Today, I finally decided to talk to a supervisor. So I call Uconnect and get a Customer (dis)Service on the phone and ask to speak with a supervisor. he first ignored me and tried to get me connected with Fredy--Fredy wasn't available. I then requested again to speak with a supervisor. I was told that he isn't going to let me speak with a supervisor because the only person from whom I can ask for a supervisor is Fredy and Fredy isn't available and isn't responding to me!!

So, looks like I will have to rip this Uconnect POS from my Jeep and go with either Insane Audio or another one... Sorry about the rant! But if I can prevent anyone to do the same mistake I did, I am happy! So F-ck Uconnect.

NOTE: I am using an apple cable. I have used nothing but Apple products to connect the phone. I connect it to the center console. I have used various Apple cables... In any event, the cable does not explain the other issues like disappearing/reappearing "off road pages", and other apps at random and radio freeze etc... :like:

NOTE 2: Folks have focused on CarPlay as the possible culprit. While, also my initial thought, the unit has frozen on me even without a phone attached. Last time it did that, none of the buttons worked, I was listening to XM and the radio kept on playing but none of the buttons for volume or changing the station worked. The unit was frozen. Even after I turned the vehicle on and off, the unit stayed frozen. I had to pull the fuse to get it back to working status. So it's not CarPlay! Good guess tho!
Know how you feel. I’ve had my 8.4 replaced already by the dealer for non function of gps alt lg lat. The replacement has the same problem. POS. Checked with uconnect. I was told updates are out give it two or three weeks to get to my area?? If still have problem then take it back to the dealer. Thank god my airplane doesn’t have gps issues. Alt is pretty important. What are they using for programmers. Uconnect is not functional for prime time with hit and miss issues. If I still have the problem at the end of the month let’s see what the dealer says??

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Is anyone else a little surprised that Jeep is making the OP contact Uconnect directly? He shouldn't have to, its an issue with an item inside the Jeep. That's nonsense on Jeeps part.

I know this because of Subaru and its terrible head unit issues from 2017-2020. Lots of them dying, acting terrible, etc. In no way did Subaru ever direct customers to the head unit manufacturer in any of the problems I read on the Subaru forums.

If I was the OP I would deal with Jeep directly and have them deal with it. As others have said ,keep logging problems and bringing it to them. They should really just replace the whole unit you would think. Its a PITA for the OP to keep having to go to a dealer, but hopefully once its solved you can enjoy your vehicle more.
doesn’t matter, replaced mine with a new one. Same problem.

andrew8404

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Ha ha how are you supposed to stay away from uconnect when it comes with your vehicle? Spend a grand for another radio no thanks. Mine works fine and will upgrade when if ever it goes out.

Engine Guy

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Engineer
@Onward4x4
have you used or do you by any chance use a Tazer or similar device?
I was going to write the same thing. My system is rock solid unless I have my Tazer installed. When the Tazer is installed things aren’t as stable, with reboots etc occurring.

If you have a Tazer try unmarrying and run for a few days.

Good luck!!

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
Know how you feel. I’ve had my 8.4 replaced already by the dealer for non function of gps alt lg lat. The replacement has the same problem. POS. Checked with uconnect. I was told updates are out give it two or three weeks to get to my area?? If still have problem then take it back to the dealer. Thank god my airplane doesn’t have gps issues. Alt is pretty important. What are they using for programmers. Uconnect is not functional for prime time with hit and miss issues. If I still have the problem at the end of the month let’s see what the dealer says??
Good luck!!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
I was going to write the same thing. My system is rock solid unless I have my Tazer installed. When the Tazer is installed things aren’t as stable, with reboots etc occurring.

If you have a Tazer try unmarrying and run for a few days.

Good luck!!
No, I don't have tazer.

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
I agree I hate, despise, can't stand uConnect. Mine has been junk since after the second week that I have had my Jeep. I happens with my iPhone or Samsung, my Apple stuff or my android stuff. It is junk, although I am not going to spend a boat load of money on a Stinger, that has terrible customer service, unitl things become wireless. So I just suffer most of the time with my radio junk off. the last place I took it to was in Pittsburgh by the airport and the
a**hole service manager, that needed punched in the throat, said just keep bringing it back for a flash and update. I don't believe they did anything. So it remains off most of the time. I don't car about Jeepcares either.

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
I agree I hate, despise, can't stand uConnect. Mine has been junk since after the second week that I have had my Jeep. I happens with my iPhone or Samsung, my Apple stuff or my android stuff. It is junk, although I am not going to spend a boat load of money on a Stinger, that has terrible customer service, unitl things become wireless. So I just suffer most of the time with my radio junk off. the last place I took it to was in Pittsburgh by the airport and the
a**hole service manager, that needed punched in the throat, said just keep bringing it back for a flash and update. I don't believe they did anything. So it remains off most of the time. I don't car about Jeepcares either.
Sorry man... you have it worst than me! This is just terrible.

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
@Onward4x4 I am sure someone will come out with a great wireless unit here shortly. Then I can and my cameras and have some real fun with real music. Even when I just try to play the radio most times it just skips anyway. I am sure it will be soon, everything happens for a reason. There was a reason why Stinger people were jerks to me on the phone and in emails, so whatever the reason I will wait, until then I just enjoy my Jeep, every time I look at it, I smile, every time I get in I smile, Every time I start it, I smile.

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
i have 8.4 unit with nav, works great.

sorry for your troubles.

p.s. iphones work like crap if they have lint in the lightning connector. you have to check with a toothpick. you cannot see the lint.

they dont work properly through the cable, and dont charge half the time.
Sponsored