Sponsored

Uconnect® absolute POS!! Stay away from it...

rfm8os

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2022 Cadillac CT-5 V
I own a 2020 JLUR with the 8.4" unit with premium sound. I have similar issues with the Uconnect system, but I have not had all the issues the OP has. Mainly my issue is with the unit freezing and then rebooting. I have not had issues with apps missing or the other things you describe.

Here is what usually happens:

I start the car and put it in reverse and start backing out of my driveway. The backup camera comes on and then the unit freezes at some point so the backup image remains as I put it in 1st and drive forward.

OR Sometimes it doesn't freeze right away but freezes shortly after I put it in 1st and start to drive forward or a mile or two down the road.

In both scenarios If the radio was playing when it froze it continues to play and whatever image was on the screen at the time freezes. None of the virtual buttons on the unit work, the on/off button, volume knob and mute controls on the dashboard don't work either... Eventually the system reboots on its own after a few seconds.

When this first started to happen it was usually after having backed up so I thought it was something with that but more recently it has just started to freeze on me randomly while driving so doesn't always depend on having backed up.

At first it was once every couple of months now it's once or twice a week or so. Sometimes it daisy chains a few times where it freezes, reboots then immediately freezes and reboots again. But usually only once or twice.

I have eliminated USB cable connections for Carplay. I have tried using brand new Apple Certified cables and I have tried both the center console and dash USB ports. I finally decided to stop connecting it to the car altogether and havent for a few weeks, It still happens.

I also eliminated bluetooth as I disconnected/deleted the profile of my phone from the bluetooth setup in Uconnect and have no devices currently paired to the unit via bluetooth. It still happens

I've had it to the dealer twice. Once it was there for a different issue but I asked them to check it. Then I brought it in again a month or two later because it was still happening. They have updated the software and all that. They can't get it to happen when they have it. I showed them videos and they believe me but they say they have to see it happening.

I have an outstanding recall for something else right now so I am going to bring it in soon and tell them to check into the Uconnect again. The problem is that even though it's happening more often it may go several days to a week without happening so their chances of seeing it are slim.
Sponsored

Sidspider

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2021 JLU Willys
I work on integrated commercial and residential AV system (not automotive). If you have taken all of the steps you outlined and the dealer has flashed the software and firmware I would guess (and it’s a total guess) that there is an issue with the units RAM. The head unit starts working hard, it runs out of memory and apps quit causing them to disappear from the screen or the whole thing locks up. I don’t know if they have a way to check system resources or pull logs from the unit, but that would be what I would try if I were uconnect.

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't read the whole thing but i guess they don't want to replace the unit and judging by the year there is no more warrantee ?
Yes on accounts except I have extended warranty! They gave me the run around long enough for me to run out of warranty!! I should have predicted it...

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
I work on integrated commercial and residential AV system (not automotive). If you have taken all of the steps you outlined and the dealer has flashed the software and firmware I would guess (and it’s a total guess) that there is an issue with the units RAM. The head unit starts working hard, it runs out of memory and apps quit causing them to disappear from the screen or the whole thing locks up. I don’t know if they have a way to check system resources or pull logs from the unit, but that would be what I would try if I were uconnect.
So how do I check for this or have the dealer check for this... It sounds pretty believable!

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
I own a 2020 JLUR with the 8.4" unit with premium sound. I have similar issues with the Uconnect system, but I have not had all the issues the OP has. Mainly my issue is with the unit freezing and then rebooting. I have not had issues with apps missing or the other things you describe.

Here is what usually happens:

I start the car and put it in reverse and start backing out of my driveway. The backup camera comes on and then the unit freezes at some point so the backup image remains as I put it in 1st and drive forward.

OR Sometimes it doesn't freeze right away but freezes shortly after I put it in 1st and start to drive forward or a mile or two down the road.

In both scenarios If the radio was playing when it froze it continues to play and whatever image was on the screen at the time freezes. None of the virtual buttons on the unit work, the on/off button, volume knob and mute controls on the dashboard don't work either... Eventually the system reboots on its own after a few seconds.

When this first started to happen it was usually after having backed up so I thought it was something with that but more recently it has just started to freeze on me randomly while driving so doesn't always depend on having backed up.

At first it was once every couple of months now it's once or twice a week or so. Sometimes it daisy chains a few times where it freezes, reboots then immediately freezes and reboots again. But usually only once or twice.

I have eliminated USB cable connections for Carplay. I have tried using brand new Apple Certified cables and I have tried both the center console and dash USB ports. I finally decided to stop connecting it to the car altogether and havent for a few weeks, It still happens.

I also eliminated bluetooth as I disconnected/deleted the profile of my phone from the bluetooth setup in Uconnect and have no devices currently paired to the unit via bluetooth. It still happens

I've had it to the dealer twice. Once it was there for a different issue but I asked them to check it. Then I brought it in again a month or two later because it was still happening. They have updated the software and all that. They can't get it to happen when they have it. I showed them videos and they believe me but they say they have to see it happening.

I have an outstanding recall for something else right now so I am going to bring it in soon and tell them to check into the Uconnect again. The problem is that even though it's happening more often it may go several days to a week without happening so their chances of seeing it are slim.
All the best to you!! I hope you do better than I did...

Sponsored

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Yes on accounts except I have extended warranty! They gave me the run around long enough for me to run out of warranty!! I should have predicted it...
What I thought ..typical dealer tactics.

Sidspider

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2021 JLU Willys
So how do I check for this or have the dealer check for this... It sounds pretty believable!
There is probably a diagnostic page somewhere but it may be something only the dealer can access. The dealer may be able to pull logs, but they almost definitely would need to send them to uconnect to read them.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
My 2020 GMC AT4 Bluetooth will not let me control the volume from the phone while playing music.
So when it goes back to the radio it blast the volume which gives my wife another thing to complain about when she drives it after me.
Don't have that problem on my 2019 JLU

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
I use a dual system battery from Genesis...
What does the dealer say about your Genesis dual battery setup? Being it's an electrical modification, are they suggesting it could have lead to the problem? I can see how they might consider that a major electrical mod.

Last edited:

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I think a few have mentioned it, but if you have an older iPhone, that may be the culprit. Also, make sure you have the latest updates installed on your phone.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
What does the dealer say about your Genesis dual battery setup? Being it's an electrical modification, are they suggesting it could have lead to the problem? I can see how they might consider that a major electrical mod.
They haven't mentioned it.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I find that Bluetooth in 100% of all the vehicles I had diminishes the sound quality. It's like listening to music through a vacuum tube.
You do realize Bluetooth is a digital signal right? Bluetooth is a packet based wireless technology that transfers data cross a link. It’s impossible for audio quality to diminish through a digital signal.

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
You do realize Bluetooth is a digital signal right? Bluetooth is a packet based wireless technology that transfers data cross a link. It’s impossible for audio quality to diminish through a digital signal.
Mmm...ok. Just talking about my experience compared to a wired connection (in cars).

SpaceCase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
Actually, that's not true. The audio data in the transmission is not lossless, and has to be compressed. Between the codec capability of the phone, the codec capability of the head unit, and the distance between them, the compression level can make the audio sound pretty bad. Here is a good read:

https://www.soundguys.com/understanding-bluetooth-codecs-15352/

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
Do you have any more info about that cable? Where it is, part #, pictures by any chance? I'd love to ex;ore than angle... I have nothing else to go by!!
Here's all the info I have:
Jeep Wrangler JL Uconnect® absolute POS!! Stay away from it... IMG_8673.JPG
Sponsored