Sponsored

Uconnect® absolute POS!! Stay away from it...

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
This POS unit that came with my JL has been nothing but trouble and Uconnect doesn't give 2 bits about even trying to fix the issue. If I had to do it again, I would order my Jeep with the cheapest Uconnect unit and then just upgrade with an aftermarket several of which look pretty darn good!

So here is the story:

I have been having issues with my 8.4 Uconnect "Premium" stereo unit pretty much since day one. I have taken it to the dealer on many occasions and all they have done is to reset the unit or install a new software when it was available and pretty much all they arre telling me is that there is a new firrmware coming up in the first quarter of 2021 but it is not out yet and there is nothing else they can do.

Meanwhile, the unit randomly fails to recognize my phone, apps appear and disappear at random, the unit freezes and becomes non-responsive which forces me to remove the fuses and put it back to get the unit to respond... I have learned the reset procedure and have execute it countless times--I have stopped choosing any preferences since each time I have to reset the unit it loses all my choices and so there is no point is keep setting them... All is all, it is a POS.

So in a post I complained about how Uconnect is in fact a POS and @JeepCares responded and asked me if I wanted to start a case. I said sure--why not and they put me in touch with Uconnect to see what can be done about my complaints about the functionality of the unit in my Jeep. They even assisted me in getting a case number. So when I did not hear back from Uconnect, Jeepcares looked into it and I noticed that the email from Fredy went into my junk folder. I promptly "whitelisted" email from Connect so that this does not happen again. Fredy also said he had tried to call me... but I did not have an record of any calls. Puzzling but whatever...

I was able to talk to Fredy finally and he directed me to get the software information. I spoke with him on the phone and he sent me an email with directions on how to get that information. I followed the direction, got the software version information, took a screen shot with my phone and sent the screen shot along with an email containing the information requested. That was March 25, 2021.

Since then, I have been ghosted!

I have called and left Fredy several messages and I have sent email--all of which have gone unanswered.

Today, I finally decided to talk to a supervisor. So I call Uconnect and get a Customer (dis)Service on the phone and ask to speak with a supervisor. he first ignored me and tried to get me connected with Fredy--Fredy wasn't available. I then requested again to speak with a supervisor. I was told that he isn't going to let me speak with a supervisor because the only person from whom I can ask for a supervisor is Fredy and Fredy isn't available and isn't responding to me!!

So, looks like I will have to rip this Uconnect POS from my Jeep and go with either Insane Audio or another one... Sorry about the rant! But if I can prevent anyone to do the same mistake I did, I am happy! So F-ck Uconnect.

NOTE: I am using an apple cable. I have used nothing but Apple products to connect the phone. I connect it to the center console. I have used various Apple cables... In any event, the cable does not explain the other issues like disappearing/reappearing "off road pages", and other apps at random and radio freeze etc... :like:

NOTE 2: Folks have focused on CarPlay as the possible culprit. While, also my initial thought, the unit has frozen on me even without a phone attached. Last time it did that, none of the buttons worked, I was listening to XM and the radio kept on playing but none of the buttons for volume or changing the station worked. The unit was frozen. Even after I turned the vehicle on and off, the unit stayed frozen. I had to pull the fuse to get it back to working status. So it's not CarPlay! Good guess tho!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

that sucks. i hate how they add these overcomplicated systems into vehicles nowadays. my cheapo 5" radio has been issue free, which is still surprising. it seems like the 8" model has the most issues from complaints posted on this forum. i hope it gets resolved for you.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
UConnect is recognized as one of the best systems, if not the best, in the industry for its user-friendly interface and connectivity.

I’ve had zero issues with Uconnect on my Chrysler vehicles for the past 10+ years. The system on my JL is the best to date.

Now, the Mazda infotainment system on my Fiat 124 Spider is a different story. That POS system won’t connect with anything in a 10-mile radius!

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Sorry you are having trouble. I absolutely love my Uconnect 8.4.

It sounds like the problem maybe the connection between your phone and Uconnect. Test with a different smartphone and a new cable.

I had some connectivity issues with my last one and bought some high quality USB cables and that fixed the problem. Bluetooth connectivity, which I rarely use, has always connected flawlessly.

Sponsored

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
That sucks! So far so good with mine for first three weeks of ownership. I am using the cable that came with my phone and plugging it in the center console

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
UConnect is recognized as one of the best systems, if not the best, in the industry for its user-friendly interface and connectivity.

I’ve had zero issues with Uconnect on my Chrysler vehicles for the past 10+ years. The system on my JL is the best to date.

Now, the Mazda infotainment system on my Fiat 124 Spider is a different story. That POS system won’t connect with anything in a 10-mile radius!
I suppose I squarely and firmly fall in the 30% dissatisfied group! And perhaps that's the reason why Uconnect doens't give a crap about helping me figuring out what the issue is... As I said... F-ck Uconnect.

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry you are having trouble. I absolutely love my Uconnect 8.4.

It sounds like the problem maybe the connection between your phone and Uconnect. Test with a different smartphone and a new cable.

I had some connectivity issues with my last one and bought some high quality USB cables and that fixed the problem. Bluetooth connectivity, which I rarely use, has always connected flawlessly.
That sucks! So far so good with mine for first three weeks of ownership. I am using the cable that came with my phone and plugging it in the center console
I am using an Apple cable. I don't know how the cable would cause apps on Uconnect to appear and disappear at random or cause the entire unit to freeze while playing music and become non-responsive or other issues. But in any event, I have only used Apple cables for the connection to the center console.

drivingfool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4XE Rubi
That sucks. In my opinion, stop trying to fix it. Start keeping a diary of problems. When it locks up, just let it stay locked up til you bring it in.
Let the dealer see the problems in their entirety and they'll find the problem. It might take a couple of instances of the unit being locked up before they replace the whole unit, but they will.
Technicians can fix this. Work the system.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
🤷‍♂️ Mine works great. I use an Anker cable. No issues at all with CarPlay. I plug into USB-A port on the dash. My kids use one of the ports in the back. Both work.

I have an Anker USB-C cable that I have yet to try.

All our iPhones are Xs, XR, and 12 Pro. 5 total and they all work.

Sooooo... try an Anker cable?

Anker PowerLine+ II Lightning... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071WNF2ZZ

Sponsored

Trojan_Actual

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 2.0T
Occupation
Retired Military
Mine has been flawless. I’d definitely make a continuous stink about it. Hopefully they’d just replace the unit eventually. Sorry you’re dealing with that.

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
That sucks. In my opinion, stop trying to fix it. Start keeping a diary of problems. When it locks up, just let it stay locked up til you bring it in.
Let the dealer see the problems in their entirety and they'll find the problem. It might take a couple of instances of the unit being locked up before they replace the whole unit, but they will.
Technicians can fix this. Work the system.
Yes--you are right in this. I suppose @JeepCares gave me hope that Uconnect was going to do something... It looks like not only they aren't going to do anything, but they don't even give crap about it! An actually seriously considering an after market solution...

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
This POS unit that came with my JL has been nothing but trouble and Uconnect doesn't give 2 bits about even trying to fix the issue. If I had to do it again, I would order my Jeep with the cheapest Uconnect unit and then just upgrade with an aftermarket several of which look pretty darn good!

So here is the story:

I have been having issues with my 8.4 Uconnect "Premium" stereo unit pretty much since day one. I have taken it to the dealer on many occasions and all they have done is to reset the unit or install a new software when it was available and pretty much all they arre telling me is that there is a new firrmware coming up in the first quarter of 2021 but it is not out yet and there is nothing else they can do.

Meanwhile, the unit randomly fails to recognize my phone, apps appear and disappear at random, the unit freezes and becomes non-responsive which forces me to remove the fuses and put it back to get the unit to respond... I have learned the reset procedure and have execute it countless times--I have stopped choosing any preferences since each time I have to reset the unit it loses all my choices and so there is no point is keep setting them... All is all, it is a POS.

So in a post I complained about how Uconnect is in fact a POS and @JeepCares responded and asked me if I wanted to start a case. I said sure--why not and they put me in touch with Uconnect to see what can be done about my complaints about the functionality of the unit in my Jeep. They even assisted me in getting a case number. So when I did not hear back from Uconnect, Jeepcares looked into it and I noticed that the email from Fredy went into my junk folder. I promptly "whitelisted" email from Connect so that this does not happen again. Fredy also said he had tried to call me... but I did not have an record of any calls. Puzzling but whatever...

I was able to talk to Fredy finally and he directed me to get the software information. I spoke with him on the phone and he sent me an email with directions on how to get that information. I followed the direction, got the software version information, took a screen shot with my phone and sent the screen shot along with an email containing the information requested. That was March 25, 2021.

Since then, I have been ghosted!

I have called and left Fredy several messages and I have sent email--all of which have gone unanswered.

Today, I finally decided to talk to a supervisor. So I call Uconnect and get a Customer (dis)Service on the phone and ask to speak with a supervisor. he first ignored me and tried to get me connected with Fredy--Fredy wasn't available. I then requested again to speak with a supervisor. I was told that he isn't going to let me speak with a supervisor because the only person from whom I can ask for a supervisor is Fredy and Fredy isn't available and isn't responding to me!!

So, looks like I will have to rip this Uconnect POS from my Jeep and go with either Insane Audio or another one... Sorry about the rant! But if I can prevent anyone to do the same mistake I did, I am happy! So F-ck Uconnect.

NOTE: I am using an apple cable. I have used nothing but Apple products to connect the phone. I connect it to the center console. I have used various Apple cables... In any event, the cable does not explain the other issues like disappearing/reappearing "off road pages", and other apps at random and radio freeze etc... :like:
I think it’s your phone and the cable connection. My old iPhone 7 (with a faulty lightning port connection) was nothing but troubles on my uconnect. It would often freeze, crash, disconnect etc. Been to the dealer countless times to no avail. Ever since I upgraded to IPhone 11 Pro. It had a solid connection since and I’ve had zero problems so far.

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
🤷‍♂️ Mine works great. I use an Anker cable. No issues at all with CarPlay. I plug into USB-A port on the dash. My kids use one of the ports in the back. Both work.

I have an Anker USB-C cable that I have yet to try.

All our iPhones are Xs, XR, and 12 Pro. 5 total and they all work.

Sooooo... try an Anker cable?

Anker PowerLine+ II Lightning... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071WNF2ZZ
Using a different cable fixes all the other issues with the unit as well? ;)

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not an Apple phone user; UConnect connects quickly and seamlessly to my Samsung phone.

Having said that, I find it works A LOT BETTER via Bluetooth; the moment I connect my phone to the USB port, the system loses about 50 points of chip “IQ.”
Sponsored