Sponsored

Uconnect® absolute POS!! Stay away from it...

K-nuk

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, CJ7
... and the media hub has been replaced too!
update... Dealership says they called Chrysler and Chrysler will send a “Field Engineer” to the dealership to try to figure out why the radio keeps crashing and rebooting.

Dealer has now had my Jeep for 7 weeks. Seriously. 7 weeks!!!

Now waiting to hear when this field engineer will be available....
Sponsored

K-nuk

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, CJ7
update... Dealership says they called Chrysler and Chrysler will send a “Field Engineer” to the dealership to try to figure out why the radio keeps crashing and rebooting.

Dealer has now had my Jeep for 7 weeks. Seriously. 7 weeks!!!

Now waiting to hear when this field engineer will be available....
Update: another sad update... so the dealer says the Chrysler field engineer “doesn’t want to come in for this issue”. The field engineer’s recommendation is to “wait for a new software update to see if it fixes the problem”

Totally unacceptable response. Pathetic.

UConnect case has been open for 2 years and they’ve done absolutely NOTHING to solve this defect.

Opened a new case with Chrysler customer relation and now heading to arbitration.

Sad day...

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
Update: another sad update... so the dealer says the Chrysler field engineer “doesn’t want to come in for this issue”. The field engineer’s recommendation is to “wait for a new software update to see if it fixes the problem”

Totally unacceptable response. Pathetic.

UConnect case has been open for 2 years and they’ve done absolutely NOTHING to solve this defect.

Opened a new case with Chrysler customer relation and now heading to arbitration.

Sad day...
wow... Good luck on your arbitration!

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
I haven’t had any issues with my uConnect 8.4 but the software is buggy. There have been too many complaints to deny that. The uC 7” is much worse.

But I do have one suggestion when it comes to Carplay. Have you tried cleaning out any link in the lightning port of your iPhone? I‘ve found that this is the cause of several CarPlay issues. Just take a wooden or plastic toothpick (plastic is best) and gently clean out any lint that has accumulated in there. I’ve gotten into the habit of doing this every few months and you’d be surprised by how much lint gets in there.

It might not do anything to help your situation, but it doesn’t hurt to try it either.

K-nuk

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, CJ7
I haven’t had any issues with my uConnect 8.4 but the software is buggy. There have been too many complaints to deny that. The uC 7” is much worse.

But I do have one suggestion when it comes to Carplay. Have you tried cleaning out any link in the lightning port of your iPhone? I‘ve found that this is the cause of several CarPlay issues. Just take a wooden or plastic toothpick (plastic is best) and gently clean out any lint that has accumulated in there. I’ve gotten into the habit of doing this every few months and you’d be surprised by how much lint gets in there.

It might not do anything to help your situation, but it doesn’t hurt to try it either.
Thanks for that tip. I’ve seen that cause issues for sure. However in this case the behavior is consistent with many phones. In fact the service manager told me that the radio crashes with everybody’s iPhone that works at the dealership! I purchased a brand new iPhone 12 Pro Max and held the ios at 14.2 to hopefully solve the problem and it crashed within 30 minutes.

I think what’s happening here is that it is a early 2018 Jeep and there was or is a software bug in the radio unit. I suspect they solved in future versions in 2018 and BeyondMenu Npd but never went back to fix the early models.

I think Chrysler know this and is choosing to do nothing about it.

Sponsored

rfm8os

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2022 Cadillac CT-5 V
The field engineer’s recommendation is to “wait for a new software update to see if it fixes the problem”
My Uconnect software self updated earlier this week so I waited a day or two to see what would happen but it crashed and rebooted on me once already since the update.

K-nuk

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, CJ7
My Uconnect software self updated earlier this week so I waited a day or two to see what would happen but it crashed and rebooted on me once already since the update.
What year is your JL?

rfm8os

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2022 Cadillac CT-5 V
Ugh. Is your phone and iOS on the UConnect compatibility list?
I haven't connected my phone by cable or bluetooth in over a month and it still freezes/reboots randomly. Also, it worked fine without this BS for about the first six months or so that I owned the Jeep with me using carplay all the time. When it started happening I swapped cables, plugged it in a different port, etc. Then after the last time the dealership looked at it I decided to not connect the phone to it at all and deleted the bluetooth profile etc... Hasn't made a difference.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Ugh. Is your phone and iOS on the UConnect compatibility list?
Hey Scott
I had similar issues as you in regards to Uconnect. I have a 2018 Sahara built in August
I would have random reboots, carplay disconnects, freezes, blue screens, black screens, all sorts of weird stuff.
Even had once that the radio wouldn't turn off after I turn my Jeep off and walk away..

Everything seemed to have resolved itself however, after the recent uconnect update and I got a new iphone, and new cables..

Now I'm using the USB-C to lightning cable only. No issues so far.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I had a Mercedes that was at the dealer for 6 months to fix an info system issue. Eventually they just put in a new HU. Problem fixed. I just don't think any dealership is capable of working with these things.

It didn't bother me too much because they kept me supplied with newer gen models. If it was time for an oil change, or I wanted a different color, I'd just swap to a new car.

The new Uconnect looks great but it's not available in Wranglers. All the next gen units from manufacturers seem to be using more modern hardware/software platforms, which provides a much more smart phone like experience.

Dan Richie

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
This POS unit that came with my JL has been nothing but trouble and Uconnect doesn't give 2 bits about even trying to fix the issue. If I had to do it again, I would order my Jeep with the cheapest Uconnect unit and then just upgrade with an aftermarket several of which look pretty darn good!

So here is the story:

I have been having issues with my 8.4 Uconnect "Premium" stereo unit pretty much since day one. I have taken it to the dealer on many occasions and all they have done is to reset the unit or install a new software when it was available and pretty much all they arre telling me is that there is a new firrmware coming up in the first quarter of 2021 but it is not out yet and there is nothing else they can do.

Meanwhile, the unit randomly fails to recognize my phone, apps appear and disappear at random, the unit freezes and becomes non-responsive which forces me to remove the fuses and put it back to get the unit to respond... I have learned the reset procedure and have execute it countless times--I have stopped choosing any preferences since each time I have to reset the unit it loses all my choices and so there is no point is keep setting them... All is all, it is a POS.

So in a post I complained about how Uconnect is in fact a POS and @JeepCares responded and asked me if I wanted to start a case. I said sure--why not and they put me in touch with Uconnect to see what can be done about my complaints about the functionality of the unit in my Jeep. They even assisted me in getting a case number. So when I did not hear back from Uconnect, Jeepcares looked into it and I noticed that the email from Fredy went into my junk folder. I promptly "whitelisted" email from Connect so that this does not happen again. Fredy also said he had tried to call me... but I did not have an record of any calls. Puzzling but whatever...

I was able to talk to Fredy finally and he directed me to get the software information. I spoke with him on the phone and he sent me an email with directions on how to get that information. I followed the direction, got the software version information, took a screen shot with my phone and sent the screen shot along with an email containing the information requested. That was March 25, 2021.

Since then, I have been ghosted!

I have called and left Fredy several messages and I have sent email--all of which have gone unanswered.

Today, I finally decided to talk to a supervisor. So I call Uconnect and get a Customer (dis)Service on the phone and ask to speak with a supervisor. he first ignored me and tried to get me connected with Fredy--Fredy wasn't available. I then requested again to speak with a supervisor. I was told that he isn't going to let me speak with a supervisor because the only person from whom I can ask for a supervisor is Fredy and Fredy isn't available and isn't responding to me!!

So, looks like I will have to rip this Uconnect POS from my Jeep and go with either Insane Audio or another one... Sorry about the rant! But if I can prevent anyone to do the same mistake I did, I am happy! So F-ck Uconnect.

NOTE: I am using an apple cable. I have used nothing but Apple products to connect the phone. I connect it to the center console. I have used various Apple cables... In any event, the cable does not explain the other issues like disappearing/reappearing "off road pages", and other apps at random and radio freeze etc... :like:

NOTE 2: Folks have focused on CarPlay as the possible culprit. While, also my initial thought, the unit has frozen on me even without a phone attached. Last time it did that, none of the buttons worked, I was listening to XM and the radio kept on playing but none of the buttons for volume or changing the station worked. The unit was frozen. Even after I turned the vehicle on and off, the unit stayed frozen. I had to pull the fuse to get it back to working status. So it's not CarPlay! Good guess tho!
My Jeep is 1 week old and I have no climate control and lost rear camera guide lines. Disconnect Pwr. and all was restored for 1- day. I agree, U connect is unimpressive. I’m concern what the real cost will be after the 3- year warranty is up.

K-nuk

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, CJ7
I haven't connected my phone by cable or bluetooth in over a month and it still freezes/reboots randomly. Also, it worked fine without this BS for about the first six months or so that I owned the Jeep with me using carplay all the time. When it started happening I swapped cables, plugged it in a different port, etc. Then after the last time the dealership looked at it I decided to not connect the phone to it at all and deleted the bluetooth profile etc... Hasn't made a difference.
That is so completely unacceptable. Seems a halfway decent dealership should replace the head unit for you. Are you going to try to get that done?

K-nuk

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, CJ7
Hey Scott
I had similar issues as you in regards to Uconnect. I have a 2018 Sahara built in August
I would have random reboots, carplay disconnects, freezes, blue screens, black screens, all sorts of weird stuff.
Even had once that the radio wouldn't turn off after I turn my Jeep off and walk away..

Everything seemed to have resolved itself however, after the recent uconnect update and I got a new iphone, and new cables..

Now I'm using the USB-C to lightning cable only. No issues so far.

Jerry I think you and I might be in similar situation regarding 2018. I’m suspecting the early production units had defects that FCA never got around to fixing and now the “business case” isn’t strong enough to go back and do it. My 2018 JLUR was built in 2017/12 so I’m thinking it was a very early production unit. Dealer denied the existence on my complaint for 2 years and then finally started replacing parts: head unit twice, media hub twice, plus a wiring harness. No luck. Dealer told me the radio still crashes using CarPlay with every iPhone in his shop. I asked them to replace head unit with a 2020 model and they said FCA will only approve replacing with the same model that came with my Jeep (NOS). So it makes sense that the problem repeats.

My 12 pro max running iOS 14.2 works perfectly in my Audi and in every other vehicle I try it in.

Try to get a newer model head unit. It might help. Good luck! I know how frustrating it is...
Sponsored