Sponsored

U-Connect Map Update for $99 - what improvements / feedback?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Just got a e-mail about purchasing a map update for $99. Has anybody done the update and if so what improvements besides the maps did you see?

Thanks!
Link to share?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks guys. I wanted to see how out of date mine was and what it would cost to update.

Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I started to do this update, but then I saw somewhere that the date on the map update is 2020, and mine is a 2019... Think I'll wait a couple of years or so...

OP
OP
Mark Elliott

Mark Elliott

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I started to do this update, but then I saw somewhere that the date on the map update is 2020, and mine is a 2019... Think I'll wait a couple of years or so...
Mine is a 2018, but yeah, I noticed the 2020 date also. Maybe thatā€™s why its discounted?

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is a 2018, but yeah, I noticed the 2020 date also. Maybe thatā€™s why its discounted?
Probably so... I figure there has to be a new update coming soon anyway. And the speed limit on the GPS map is about as accurate a broken compass...

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I interstate travel thousands and thousands of miles yearly in my 2018 JL....... and even I can't see paying $ for that update. Makes little sense to me..... a waste of $.

Anyone, that travels... uses GPS, is far far far better off using Google Maps with Android Auto or Apple CarPlay.

Stock NAV .... onboard Nav, even when running current ver. maps is laughable at best. Same same regarding any brand vehicle's onboard GPS.

OP
OP
Mark Elliott

Mark Elliott

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I interstate travel thousands and thousands of miles yearly in my 2018 JL....... and even I can't see paying $ for that update. Makes little sense to me..... a waste of $.

Anyone, that travels... uses GPS, is far far far better off using Google Maps with Android Auto or Apple CarPlay.

Stock NAV .... onboard Nav, even when running current ver. maps is laughable at best. Same same regarding any brand vehicle's onboard GPS.
I agree, but I was wondering if the interface is improved, or any other changes to the looks of it.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I agree, but I was wondering if the interface is improved, or any other changes to the looks of it.
@Mark Elliott

I have briefly looked over the "interface" on a 2021 JL and to be honest it looks quite like the what I see on my 2018....

If you travel lots or geeez, even drive around town, every minute, every hour, every day, 24/7, 365, roads and streets are closed, heavy traffic, name changes (destinations, monuments, streets, roads) thanks to all the nonsense going on this past year... then you have rerouting of roads, long term or temporary and on and on....

Thousands of streets, roads, destinations, buildings etc. have received name changes just in the last say 10 months... Names are changing as I type, especially in Southern States.

Your 2018, 2020 and newer map programs are not aware of these changes... Google Maps and Waze are aware and alerting you on the fly so to speak...

With that said onboard NAV is not the thing to use.... even around town... A driver is far far better off never using stock/built-in Nav and just using Google Maps or Waze.

Google Maps and Waze are updated each second..... if a road is blocked you get redirected immediately for example... You get Cop alert, accident alert, object in road alert, etc.. Your onboard Nav is oblivious to this and well oblivious to anything going on at that moment/that locale, period..

I do think the day will soon come when onboard/built in NAV will be no more. You will get into a vehicle and your Google Maps or Waze will just tie into your 8.4 - 10"+ radio screen and ......

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I've never understood why they continue to even make/update in-car navigation at this point. Surely it costs money, and I've never met anyone who actually uses it. Anyone I've ever met who actually needs in-car nav always uses their phone.

Tellurian

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Wrangler JLUR Ocean Blue (MT); ā€˜20 Grand Cherokee White; ā€˜12 Volvo C30 (MT)
Occupation
Analyst
I got the email earlier in the week about this. Complete waste of money and the fact that they claim itā€™s $50 off is a joke. Unless they added a treasure map for the Beale Ciphers, I will be sticking with Waze, Apple Maps, and Gaia GPS for my needs.

What I would pay $100 for is a solid off-road mapping program on the Jeep - think Badge of Honor trails along with other trails that fellow Jeepers record with notes. You could then sync it with an Android and iOS app for those who donā€™t have Unconnect.

Talk about community driven off-roading! (pun intended)

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I got the email earlier in the week about this. Complete waste of money and the fact that they claim itā€™s $50 off is a joke. Unless they added a treasure map for the Beale Ciphers, I will be sticking with Waze, Apple Maps, and Gaia GPS for my needs.

What I would pay $100 for is a solid off-road mapping program on the Jeep - think Badge of Honor trails along with other trails that fellow Jeepers record with notes. You could then sync it with an Android and iOS app for those who donā€™t have Unconnect.

Talk about community driven off-roading! (pun intended)
I was really kind of hoping that the Offroad Pages would be kinda like this - a terrain map view with an overlay of the vehicle details (pitch, roll, etc). It would insanely useful on the trails to be able to simultaneously see where I am AND how my vehicle is doing.
Sponsored