JohnnyB

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Firecracker Red,
Evening ladies & gents,

I’ve been reading lots of interesting information on this site for approximately 6 months and wondered whether someone could offer some advice regarding tyre sealant?

I’m about to take delivery of my first jeep - a MY20 firecracker red JLUR! I’ve been waiting since April and can’t believe the time is almost here! In all of my other cars and motorbikes, I have used PunctureSafe with great results even with TPMS. I have read in the 2019 JL user manual that tyre sealant may cause problems and wondered what the general consensus is amongst current owners? Cheers.
Sponsored

Howi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019
Evening ladies & gents,

I’ve been reading lots of interesting information on this site for approximately 6 months and wondered whether someone could offer some advice regarding tyre sealant?

I’m about to take delivery of my first jeep - a MY20 firecracker red JLUR! I’ve been waiting since April and can’t believe the time is almost here! In all of my other cars and motorbikes, I have used PunctureSafe with great results even with TPMS. I have read in the 2019 JL user manual that tyre sealant may cause problems and wondered what the general consensus is amongst current owners? Cheers.
I think most including me don't worry about this as we have a big old spare hung on the boot!

ps good luck with her , bet you can't wait! + Pictures!!!!

IceBerg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XR 392
In a lot of cases small punctures are easily repaired but the sealant stuff can make things difficult. Over time that sealant stuff can also harden up and both not work/throw off tire balance.

I'd avoid it completely in all scenarios. You have a full sized spare tire, swap that on and warranty out your tires/repair them as needed.

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2020 2.2 Diesel Punk'n RHD
I'd avoid tyre sealants as well. You gonna have a full size spare (which you should put in place of other wheels while rotating anyway) and in the worst case you can use something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tyre-Repai...690809?hash=item1efdf4b1b9:g:SeUAAOSw-ftdJ-9P

P.S. Lucky you, seems like you were a good boy as you gonna get your Jeep by Christmas, and obviously I did something bad this year as ETA moved to January already... :angel:

OP
OP

JohnnyB

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think most including me don't worry about this as we have a big old spare hung on the boot!

Thanks

Yes, I can't wait! Thanks for the advice. Pictures will defo be posted when I get it!

Sponsored

OP
OP

JohnnyB

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd avoid tyre sealants as well. You gonna have a full size spare (which you should put in place of other wheels while rotating anyway) and in the worst case you can use something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tyre-Repai...690809?hash=item1efdf4b1b9:g:SeUAAOSw-ftdJ-9P

P.S. Lucky you, seems like you were a good boy as you gonna get your Jeep by Christmas, and obviously I did something bad this year as ETA moved to January already... :angel:

I think with regards to being good, it rather depends on who you ask! I'm keeping everything crossed, although Christmas is rapidly approaching!!! Bummer regarding your revised ETA? With all of those goodies that you've purchased(rock slides etc), it'll look fantastic when it arrives.

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2020 2.2 Diesel Punk'n RHD
Yeah, I’m a bit pissed of, as initially I was told the delivery time gonna take 6 month, meaning 3 of January and I was pretty sure they will manage to bring it before the new year.
But after they made it MY2020 looks like that allowed them to move the delivery to 2020 as well :CWL: anyway, another forum member from Cyprus got a bit deeper into their logistics and he told me it’s crazy, especially considering that shipping company has cancelled a direct route from Italy to Cyprus, so now Jeeps sail through Greece or Spain with multiple stops :facepalm:

Yes, I’ve spent a lot of money and time to get those upgrades and can’t wait to put them on. I will start a separate thread here in Europe section as it will be interesting only for EU-spec Rubi’s owners. Cheers!

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
I'm aware of tyre shops refusing to repair (patch from the inside) tyres in which sealant was used because of the mess...
As others said, forget about the sealant, and take along a good repair kit if going off-road as self recovery, for the rare event in which you would be so unlucky to face two flats...

OP
OP

JohnnyB

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In a lot of cases small punctures are easily repaired but the sealant stuff can make things difficult. Over time that sealant stuff can also harden up and both not work/throw off tire balance.

I'd avoid it completely in all scenarios. You have a full sized spare tire, swap that on and warranty out your tires/repair them as needed.
Apologies for not replying sooner - its an age thing! Thanks for the advice - It seems that the general consensus is exactly how you describe! Not sure what it's like stateside, but a lot of the European vehicles seem to run around on run flats - certainly all of mine have in the past. I keep forgetting that Jeeps have 5 wheels!! Cheers again
Sponsored