Sponsored

Typical jeep owner aside, there is just no reason for people to own a Jeep Wrangler

Johnczar4

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2029 Wrangler Sport S
Author of that probably the same type of idiot that speeds around on black ice thinking he’s fine because he has 4 wheel drive. Then wonders why he can’t stop when he slams on the brakes
Sponsored

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
Great post ... laffed so hard my coworkers were like WTF ... LOL
I can't believe the number in this thread alone that took it seriously !!!

RubyV8

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 392 and Ram 1500
It's not fuel efficient, it's horrible for the environment, it's no more capable than a regular car, and it's one of the most dangerous vehicles on the road.

I had a trip out to Utah, and the rental place didn't have any other SUVs on the lot. They offered a Wrangler and I figured it would be fun. Lot was empty so I spend a little bit driving over the curbs in their lot and they come running out like madmen telling me to stop. It's a Jeep and yet it can't drive over small bumps? What a fucking joke. So apparently its not offload capable if it can't handle curbs at like 20mph.

So get on the road and head to hotel. Half way there I decide to open the sunroof which is super hard with like 6 latches, and the fucking thing flies off. There's no hinges or anything on the sunroof, it's just a big piece of plastic that's completely unsecured. Luckily it was a 30mph road so there was just scrapes on it.

After that - and for EVERY. FUCKING. DAY. Every jeep I passed would wave me down or just wave like they fucking knew me. The first few times I stopped and pulled over, but they never turned around or anything. Just randomly waving at other jeeps like jackasses. Like who the fuck were these people?

I also tried out the 4 wheel drive and the thing went soooooooooo slow. The engine was running at the fastest it would go and I was only going like 20MPH. Ridiculous. Didn't even get to drive it in 4 wheel on the dirt, after only 5 miles the whole thing started shaking and I had to turn around. Maybe 4 wheel drive is more fun in the dirt but it's god awful slow on pavement.

Sorry, I just had to share this with you guys. I found it on the internet on a reddit post. Personally I found it hilarious.
I thought of another silly reason to have a Wrangler. Stuff a 392 hemi in it that gets worse mileage!!
Mine is built and on the way 😆

OP
OP
LiveToWork

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
I thought of another silly reason to have a Wrangler. Stuff a 392 hemi in it that gets worse mileage!!
Aw man im jealous. Id trade mine for a hemi any day!! Congrats man. But a hemi jeep isnt for someone who cares about mpg. In my opinion a jeep in general isnt for someone who cares about mpg.
My wife choose a Wrangler for two reasons - it's an SUV, and a convertible. Well I suppose there is one more secondary reason - she could get it in yellow.

The facts being discussed in this thread are the reason why I call BS on anyone who says "I bought a Wrangler purely for it's off-road capability". Almost no one would honestly do that - at least not a JL. A JL is far too expensive to be a good choice for that role. Furthermore, most any lifted mid-size or full-size body-on-frame truck can do 90-95% of what a Wrangler can do off-road, and that's more than enough for 99.9% of buyers...then there's the fact that any of those trucks would be far better choices ON-ROAD. No, the appeal for the Wrangler is it's utilitarian style coupled with the top-off option, and THEN off-road capability. Because really, that's the end of the list of things the Wrangler is especially good at. Everything else is a compromise in a Wrangler, and comparing that fact with it's sales numbers shows just how powerful the style factor is.
i agree. Its no ones business what we do with our jeeps. I find the people in this forum are actually quite accepting of mall crawlers. A few arent but most are because they understand we dont all have another 80 grand sitting aside for when we roll our new jeeps.

Imagine if all the jeep owners did that. We all only went off road. Now every trail would be overpopulated like its rush hour but on 45 degree slopes. No fun.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Congratulations, let me know if they did away with ESS, when you get it.

Sponsored

gschones

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited
From the sound of your whiney post I don't think you are competent enought to own a wrangler.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
My wife choose a Wrangler for two reasons - it's an SUV, and a convertible. Well I suppose there is one more secondary reason - she could get it in yellow.

The facts being discussed in this thread are the reason why I call BS on anyone who says "I bought a Wrangler purely for it's off-road capability". Almost no one would honestly do that - at least not a JL. A JL is far too expensive to be a good choice for that role. Furthermore, most any lifted mid-size or full-size body-on-frame truck can do 90-95% of what a Wrangler can do off-road, and that's more than enough for 99.9% of buyers...then there's the fact that any of those trucks would be far better choices ON-ROAD. No, the appeal for the Wrangler is it's utilitarian style coupled with the top-off option, and THEN off-road capability. Because really, that's the end of the list of things the Wrangler is especially good at. Everything else is a compromise in a Wrangler, and comparing that fact with it's sales numbers shows just how powerful the style factor is.
I mean, I literally bought mine solely because I wanted to go off-road. The reason I bought the JL is because I hated the basic cabin of the older Jeeps, I wanted all the tech that came with the JLs. Taking doors and tops off is nice but that was 100% not part of the main selling points for me. I wanted an off roader that could also be my daily and everyone that I know who off-roads uses a Jeep, not a Truck.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
I mean, I literally bought mine solely because I wanted to go off-road.
You say that here but then...

I wanted an off roader that could also be my daily and everyone that I know who off-roads uses a Jeep, not a Truck.
If you truly ONLY cared about off-road capability, you would have bought a stripped down JK Rubicon with a lift and 37's. You didn't do that because JLs are much better on-road vehicles than JKs. Despite all this, you probably still spend the vast majority of mileage ON road anyway, right?

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
If you truly ONLY cared about off-road capability, you would have bought a stripped down JK Rubicon with a lift and 37's. You didn't do that because JLs are much better on-road vehicles than JKs. Despite all this, you probably still spend the vast majority of mileage ON road anyway, right?
Maybe I wasn't clear in my previous post.

I did not want any other Jeep other than a JL as I was not happy with any of the creature comforts offered by any other model of wrangler. I like to off-road in comfort with leather seats, entertainments system, gadgets, etc. The JLR had everything I wanted tech wise and interior, at the time it was also going to become my daily. The JL is complete trash on the road and I bought a new car 3 months after buying the JLR, lol. Now the JLR sits around until I take it out in the dirt, usually 1-2 times a week once the weather starts to warm up. By the way, I'm on 37s with a lift.

I'm the kind of person that goes in the dirt with top on, doors on, and AC, lol.

Last edited:

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Maybe I wasn't clear in my previous post.

I did not want any other Jeep other than a JL as I was not happy with any of the creature comforts offered by any other model of wrangler. The JLR had everything I wanted tech wise and interior, at the time it was also going to become my daily. The JL is complete trash on the road and I bought a new car 3 months after buying the JLR, lol. Now the JLR sits around until I take it out in the dirt, usually 1-2 times a week once the weather starts to warm up. By the way, I'm on 37s with a lift.

I'm the kind of person that goes in the dirt with top on, doors on, and AC, lol.
No that was my point, we're in agreement.

Sponsored

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
Most Wrangler owners I know don't take the top or doors off, or go off-road, or deal with snow climates. So in a way I have no idea why they bought a Wrangler to begin with.
Because, after owning everything from Land Rovers to Corvettes to Honda Ridgeline's to Pathfinder's, to Ford F150's to Toyota Tundra's to VW Tiguan's to Mine Countryman's and on and on.... My Wranglers are the only vehicles I've owned that I love so much, only another Wrangler can possibly put a real honest smile on my face when I drive it.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
I had to laugh when I read the post. I laugh a lot with many of the posts on this forum. I personally don't give a hoot in hell about why anyone else buys a Jeep Wrangler. I care about why I drive a Wrangler. I have been fortunate to have had many. Since my very first one my reason for wanting one remains the same. When I clime in it is like being with an old friend. I hunt, fish camp and go wheeling and I have never had one leave me stranded. I had had to fix um up to get me out but we came out together. As for Gas Mileage, When you drive an oversized brick with low gears and big ass tires its not even on my scope.

Burt

First Name
Burt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2014 FJ Cruiser (TTUE), 2016 Camry XLE (wife’s)
Occupation
Retired
Was driving an old Baja bug, my mechanic told me to buy a 4 wheel drive, saw an old blue CJ, bought it and no divorce in site, upgraded to a TJ, now a JL..

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Once I asked a rich Asian mom why she drives a Wrangler.

She asked, what a Wrangler?

I point to it, your car.

She replied ‘Oh. it look safe.’

I peeked inside there were rows of what looked like Hallo Kitty dolls (I can’t really tell the difference) lined up on top of the dash.

Here is your typical Jeep owner.

Last edited:

Francis405

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue 2 door Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.6
A guy I work with bought his first Jeep. Said he took his doors off for the first time and he will never do it again because of how hard it was. Instead of just taking out the top and bottom door hinge nut he took the entire assembly apart. 🤦‍♂️ therefore the hinges remained on the vehicle body while he drove around.
^ That's way funnier than the original post^
Sponsored