Sponsored

Type of oil from factory?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Did you read the section that I quoted out of the Wrangler warranty guide?
Yes; it does not change the fact that if they require you to use a specified anything they have to provide it free of charge. They cannot say "recommended" and then try to force a denied warranty because you chose to use something that was recommended versus required.

I TOTALLY get what you are saying, but lawyers love this type of wording and that is not to say that I would not follow recommendations, but it is important to note the difference. With that said, how many oil related failures has anyone had that was a result of the chosen oil versus lack of maintenance or other failed part? If anyone thinks that using XW-30 or xW-40 is going to cause an engine failure versus xW-20, there is some ocean front property in Arizona for sale...
Sponsored

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
Path of least resistance is to follow the owners manual recommendations for change interval, weight and spec. Anything else is conjecture that is not going to have anybody here standing next to you with help paying your legal fees arguing about the difference between "recommend" and "required".

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Yes; it does not change the fact that if they require you to use a specified anything they have to provide it free of charge. They cannot say "recommended" and then try to force a denied warranty because you chose to use something that was recommended versus required.
No, not really. For instance, the owner's manual requires the use of minimum 87 octane fuel. However, they do not provide it free of charge.

The fact remains that the use of an oil other than the recommended viscosity may not be the cause of an engine failure but the warranty guide specifically states that repairs will not be covered by damage caused by the use of non-recommended fluids. As the poster right above me pointed out, it gives the company a legal loophole to deny a warranty claim if they really want to fight paying for an otherwise covered repair. The hassle can be avoided by simply using a recommended fluid.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
No, not really. For instance, the owner's manual requires the use of minimum 87 octane fuel. However, they do not provide it free of charge.

The fact remains that the use of an oil other than the recommended viscosity may not be the cause of an engine failure but the warranty guide specifically states that repairs will not be covered by damage caused by the use of non-recommended fluids. As the poster right above me pointed out, it gives the company a legal loophole to deny a warranty claim if they really want to fight paying for an otherwise covered repair. The hassle can be avoided by simply using a recommended fluid.
How does that work in the western states where 85 octane exists? My owners manual says nothing about requiring 87 octane, but it does says that light knocking may occur using 87 octane, yet contradicts itself by stating there is no benefit to using higher octane fuel. It never says the warranty will be denied, it says may be denied.

I totally get what you and others have said, but the fact remains they cannot require you to use anything without supplying it free of charge, they can only recommend it. Read the guts of the Magnusson-Moss act to become really confused.

Jeep Wrangler JL Type of oil from factory? Screenshot_20210222-063526_OneDrive

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
How does that work in the western states where 85 octane exists? My owners manual says nothing about requiring 87 octane, but it does says that light knocking may occur using 87 octane, yet contradicts itself by stating there is no benefit to using higher octane fuel. It never says the warranty will be denied, it says may be denied.

I totally get what you and others have said, but the fact remains they cannot require you to use anything without supplying it free of charge, they can only recommend it. Read the guts of the Magnusson-Moss act to become really confused.

Jeep Wrangler JL Type of oil from factory? Screenshot_20210222-063526_OneDrive
I have the 2.0L turbo and was referring to that fuel requirement section where it says that using a gasoline with a lower than recommended octane number (87) can cause engine failure may void or not be covered by the new vehicle limited warranty.

I do not make these things up. It is spelled out right there in black and white as to what the consequences may be by the use of fuel or oil other than what is recommended in both the owner's manual and the warranty guide and it results in a component failure. As has been said before (and I will keep saying it) the use of the recommended fluids take the legal loophole out of their ability to easily deny a warranty claim because someone used the wrong fluid.
Sponsored