wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
So I posted pics of traveling. But at home this is my favorite set up for my Jeep. I think I love cruising with the top and doors off around town almost as much as being out on the trail at times.

Jeep Wrangler JL Two Years of Wheeling, 32 badge trails 39,000+ miles, a short report out on trail damage and general observations. 1606737003336
Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I also split the fenders last week and added the American Adventure Lab fender brace and LEDs with LED lights added under the turn signals.
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Years of Wheeling, 32 badge trails 39,000+ miles, a short report out on trail damage and general observations. 1606737282276

Jeep Wrangler JL Two Years of Wheeling, 32 badge trails 39,000+ miles, a short report out on trail damage and general observations. 1606737303525

Now to add the Midland MicroMobile Two-Way radio this week.

Penguinking

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR 4xe
So I picked up the JLUR back in Nov of 2018.
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Years of Wheeling, 32 badge trails 39,000+ miles, a short report out on trail damage and general observations. 1606737303525

And immediately put 37s on it. Then started wheeling it the two days later.

Next week, the JLUR will be two years old. This is a current picture from today.

Here is a pics of the 32 badges that we have done. We have also wheeled many non-badge trails around the country also. Almost flipped the JLUR over backwards at Rausch Creek.

The bead lock rings took a beating though...

The only damage the Jeep took was on the last badge trail that we ran in Pennsylvania at Rausch Creek called Crawl Daddy. There was a rock sticking out that scrubbed the passenger rear fender flare. Not bad considering the trails we have ran over the last two years.

Almost. My bud Gary was stacking rocks to help get the nose of the Jeep back down. This happened as my wife was backing down the hill climb. She made it to the top, but the breakover angle was to much for her to crest the top.

This gives you a better view of how steep it was.

Things that I have had repaired over the two years that was not general maintenance...

I or maybe my wife twisted an axle while wheeling in Moab or the Rubicon trail.

I replaced the stock axles with Yukon Heavy Duty Chromalloy axles.

The dealer fixed a valve cover gasket that was leaking oil onto a O2 sensor.
I had the sensor in the rear diff go bad so I bought an axle to get a new sensor. That sensor went bad and then fixed that problem with the Z Automotive locker bypass harness. Jeep still pisses me off over the sensor in the rear of the Jeep.

The JLUR has been driven hard and has towed this camper over 14,000 miles in one year.

I have not had any steering issues or Uconnect issues, or any of the other problems that some have experienced other than the Service axle locker light as described above. My Tazer JLmini has worked flawlessly. I wish that I would have bought 67 Design stuff first instead of last. I put a CB in my Jeep, used it one time. I bought a Mopar Sun Shade, used it one time.

Love the Bestop Sunrider. I use this all the time. Love the ARB fridge. I tinted the side windows and tinted a strip across the windshield at first I was like meh for the strip across the windshield. After a week, It grew on me and I would absolutely do it again. You can see it in the current picture at the beginning. The ACE Engineering rear bumper and Stand Alone Tire carrier has been flawless and I would buy them again. I am suprised at how well the Roam Side Step Armor has held up. It is the body mounted version and has taken a pounding at Windrock, Rausch Creek, Moab, and the Rubicon Trail. Love the Roam front Bumper. I love how the winch is tucked down under the radiator and is almost hidden. I have a Smittybuilt X2O 12,000 pound winch that has worked everytime that I needed it. That sounds glamorous, but it has only been twice for recovery. The bad thing is the wireless function stopped working a few weeks after I got the winch. Note, I do spool it out and back in before each major Jeep adventure.

Very pleased with how well this thing is holding up considering it is not a daily driver and is used primarily as a drive to trail rig all over the US.

Great write up man. So glad to see your rig has been working great for you. Always appreciate the time you put into these posts because I absolutely love reading them. Cheers!

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
@wibornz How do you like the SST Pros on our Michigan winter roads?
They are a Mud tire that does well on snow and ice. Are there better tires for snow and ice, yes. Does it mean that I am driving slower, not really. I plow snow in the winter, so every time we get a snow storm, I am driving on terrible roads to get to the shop where the plow truck is 16 miles away.

I drive 65 to 70 mph usually in 4h with zero issue. The traction control and stability control on the Jeep work great. The tires can float some as they are a wide tire. but it really has not been a big issue. Sure the KO2s on the plow truck work better, but not so much better that I would sacrifice the off road capabilities of the STT Pro tires. I use the Jeep in all types of terrain and the STT Pros have done very well at all the different types of terrain. For instance there are way better sand tire, but you would never use the great sand tires on your Jeep hook up to a camper and then drive across the country and do the Rubicon Trail. All the rocks would destroy a good sand tire and all the road driving would wear them out fast.

With that said, it is a balancing act. They are good enough in the snow that I do not feel like I need a winter specific tire, and still shine at other things, like durability, puncture resistance, and excellent overall off road capabilities while still having good road manners.

Sponsored

29_Palms

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
They are a Mud tire that does well on snow and ice. Are there better tires for snow and ice, yes. Does it mean that I am driving slower, not really. I plow snow in the winter, so every time we get a snow storm, I am driving on terrible roads to get to the shop where the plow truck is 16 miles away.

I drive 65 to 70 mph usually in 4h with zero issue. The traction control and stability control on the Jeep work great. The tires can float some as they are a wide tire. but it really has not been a big issue. Sure the KO2s on the plow truck work better, but not so much better that I would sacrifice the off road capabilities of the STT Pro tires. I use the Jeep in all types of terrain and the STT Pros have done very well at all the different types of terrain. For instance there are way better sand tire, but you would never use the great sand tires on your Jeep hook up to a camper and then drive across the country and do the Rubicon Trail. All the rocks would destroy a good sand tire and all the road driving would wear them out fast.

With that said, it is a balancing act. They are good enough in the snow that I do not feel like I need a winter specific tire, and still shine at other things, like durability, puncture resistance, and excellent overall off road capabilities while still having good road manners.
I have enjoyed your posts as well, and can also be grateful for having a good woman who is also a good co-pilot. I run 37" K02s and love them, especially their light weight; 70lbs instead of 80-84lbs for a good M/T, but they did just ok in the snow. I would have liked a little more traction. While in Big Bear last month during a two-day snow storm I drove up the mountain in 2wd, and when off-road I had a bit of a scary backwards slide (see my last post), and driving down the mountain I was in 4h most of the time as it seemed a bit sketchy. It was still coming down, and icy, and dark. Next time I am getting some M/Ts, maybe the Coopers are the trick. Can't wait to order some AA Labs fender mod.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
I have enjoyed your posts as well, and can also be grateful for having a good woman who is also a good co-pilot. I run 37" K02s and love them, especially their light weight; 70lbs instead of 80-84lbs for a good M/T, but they did just ok in the snow. I would have liked a little more traction. While in Big Bear last month during a two-day snow storm I drove up the mountain in 2wd, and when off-road I had a bit of a scary backwards slide (see my last post), and driving down the mountain I was in 4h most of the time as it seemed a bit sketchy. It was still coming down, and icy, and dark. Next time I am getting some M/Ts, maybe the Coopers are the trick. Can't wait to order some AA Labs fender mod.
My wife is kick ass. She has been killing the Overtime lately to buy cool Jeep parts. She is working five 16 hour shifts this week and worked six 16 hour shifts last week. As she always says, "Jeep parts don't buy themselves."

Also she rocks as a co-pilot. True be known, she drives on 90% of the hard obstacles with I spot. She will tell you she can drive better than she can spot. I think she just says that so she can wheel the cool stuff.

I am glad you guys are enjoying my writing style.

Gurk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 21 JL Hemi Sold: JL, JK, TJ, XJ
Occupation
IT Infrastructure Security
1604955872754.png

1604956024542.png

Next week, the JLUR will be two years old. This is a current picture from today.
1604956285358.png

Here is a pics of the 32 badges that we have done. We have also wheeled many non-badge trails around the country also. Almost flipped the JLUR over backwards at Rausch Creek.

1604922346548.png

1604922394524.png

1604955249651.png

1604955276315.png

1604955299386.png

1604955320824.png

The only damage the Jeep took was on the last badge trail that we ran in Pennsylvania at Rausch Creek called Crawl Daddy. There was a rock sticking out that scrubbed the passenger rear fender flare. Not bad considering the trails we have ran over the last two years.

1604955499757.png

Almost. My bud Gary was stacking rocks to help get the nose of the Jeep back down. This happened as my wife was backing down the hill climb. She made it to the top, but the breakover angle was to much for her to crest the top.
1604955734041.png

1604955782989.png

Things that I have had repaired over the two years that was not general maintenance...

1604956542024.png

I had the sensor in the rear diff go bad so I bought an axle to get a new sensor. That sensor went bad and then fixed that problem with the Z Automotive locker bypass harness. Jeep still pisses me off over the sensor in the rear of the Jeep.

The JLUR has been driven hard and has towed this camper over 14,000 miles in one year.

1604956956984.png

I have not had any steering issues or Uconnect issues, or any of the other problems that some have experienced other than the Service axle locker light as described above. My Tazer JLmini has worked flawlessly. I wish that I would have bought 67 Design stuff first instead of last. I put a CB in my Jeep, used it one time. I bought a Mopar Sun Shade, used it one time.

Love the Bestop Sunrider. I use this all the time. Love the ARB fridge. I tinted the side windows and tinted a strip across the windshield at first I was like meh for the strip across the windshield. After a week, It grew on me and I would absolutely do it again. You can see it in the current picture at the beginning. The ACE Engineering rear bumper and Stand Alone Tire carrier has been flawless and I would buy them again. I am suprised at how well the Roam Side Step Armor has held up. It is the body mounted version and has taken a pounding at Windrock, Rausch Creek, Moab, and the Rubicon Trail. Love the Roam front Bumper. I love how the winch is tucked down under the radiator and is almost hidden. I have a Smittybuilt X2O 12,000 pound winch that has worked everytime that I needed it. That sounds glamorous, but it has only been twice for recovery. The bad thing is the wireless function stopped working a few weeks after I got the winch. Note, I do spool it out and back in before each major Jeep adventure.

Very pleased with how well this thing is holding up considering it is not a daily driver and is used primarily as a drive to trail rig all over the US.
A Real Jeeper and props to the Wife!
Thanks for content.

troubledog

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon diesel

very compelling story on the STT Pro's. Did you get the 12.5 or 13.5 width? 5 more pounds on the 13.5

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
very compelling story on the STT Pro's. Did you get the 12.5 or 13.5 width? 5 more pounds on the 13.5
I have a set in 37x12.5R17. These are my preferred wheeling/traveling Jeep tires. For mall crawling around town, I have a set of 40x13.5r17. I use the 40s just around town and switch back to the 37s for wheeling. The 40s, help keep the miles off my off road/travel tires.

Sponsored

TheDirtyDangla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.6 E-Torque
If I had to guess that fender scuff came at the gatekeeper for Crawl Daddy! We had one JLUR in our group that had a trickier time going through being just a smidge wider then the rest of us

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
If I had to guess that fender scuff came at the gatekeeper for Crawl Daddy! We had one JLUR in our group that had a trickier time going through being just a smidge wider then the rest of us
Crawl Daddy should be named Scuffs and Scrapes Daddy.

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD

Glad I caught this thread. Nice work and a great achievement. I can only hope my wife would enthusiastically join me or just give me multi-hall pass punch card.

I am about to build out a Diesel and am torn on tires. STT Pros are at the top of my list. Seems like you like them off road which is understandable. On road over long distance, I am going to assume you like them as well. How is the volume of the tire on-road after that many miles. Significantly louder?

Kojava

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon

I'll add my thanks and appreciation to all the others' and tell you thank you for the great write up! You have had some amazing adventures and I love your set up. I especially appreciate that you haven't modded the heck out of every bit of hardware but have addressed things as you've gone. That keeps it in reach for a guy like me. These Rubis are so capable anyhow. I'm taking notes on some of the mods you've made, so thanks for the extra info about what you've done to your Jeep.
A "Jeep wave" from AZ. Hoping to move up north soon to enjoy a different type of terrain. Miss the snow, trees and mud.
Sponsored