wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
So I picked up the JLUR back in Nov of 2018.
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Years of Wheeling, 32 badge trails 39,000+ miles, a short report out on trail damage and general observations. 1604955872754

And immediately put 37s on it. Then started wheeling it the two days later.
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Years of Wheeling, 32 badge trails 39,000+ miles, a short report out on trail damage and general observations. 1604956024542

Next week, the JLUR will be two years old. This is a current picture from today.
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Years of Wheeling, 32 badge trails 39,000+ miles, a short report out on trail damage and general observations. 1604956285358

Here is a pics of the 32 badges that we have done. We have also wheeled many non-badge trails around the country also. Almost flipped the JLUR over backwards at Rausch Creek.

Jeep Wrangler JL Two Years of Wheeling, 32 badge trails 39,000+ miles, a short report out on trail damage and general observations. 1604922346548

Jeep Wrangler JL Two Years of Wheeling, 32 badge trails 39,000+ miles, a short report out on trail damage and general observations. 1604922394524

The bead lock rings took a beating though...
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Years of Wheeling, 32 badge trails 39,000+ miles, a short report out on trail damage and general observations. 1604955249651

Jeep Wrangler JL Two Years of Wheeling, 32 badge trails 39,000+ miles, a short report out on trail damage and general observations. 1604955276315

Jeep Wrangler JL Two Years of Wheeling, 32 badge trails 39,000+ miles, a short report out on trail damage and general observations. 1604955299386

Jeep Wrangler JL Two Years of Wheeling, 32 badge trails 39,000+ miles, a short report out on trail damage and general observations. 1604955320824

The only damage the Jeep took was on the last badge trail that we ran in Pennsylvania at Rausch Creek called Crawl Daddy. There was a rock sticking out that scrubbed the passenger rear fender flare. Not bad considering the trails we have ran over the last two years.

Jeep Wrangler JL Two Years of Wheeling, 32 badge trails 39,000+ miles, a short report out on trail damage and general observations. 1604955499757

Almost. My bud Gary was stacking rocks to help get the nose of the Jeep back down. This happened as my wife was backing down the hill climb. She made it to the top, but the breakover angle was to much for her to crest the top.
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Years of Wheeling, 32 badge trails 39,000+ miles, a short report out on trail damage and general observations. 1604955734041

This gives you a better view of how steep it was.
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Years of Wheeling, 32 badge trails 39,000+ miles, a short report out on trail damage and general observations. 1604955782989

Things that I have had repaired over the two years that was not general maintenance...

I or maybe my wife twisted an axle while wheeling in Moab or the Rubicon trail.
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Years of Wheeling, 32 badge trails 39,000+ miles, a short report out on trail damage and general observations. 1604956542024

I replaced the stock axles with Yukon Heavy Duty Chromalloy axles.

The dealer fixed a valve cover gasket that was leaking oil onto a O2 sensor.
I had the sensor in the rear diff go bad so I bought an axle to get a new sensor. That sensor went bad and then fixed that problem with the Z Automotive locker bypass harness. Jeep still pisses me off over the sensor in the rear of the Jeep.

The JLUR has been driven hard and has towed this camper over 14,000 miles in one year.

Jeep Wrangler JL Two Years of Wheeling, 32 badge trails 39,000+ miles, a short report out on trail damage and general observations. 1604956956984

I have not had any steering issues or Uconnect issues, or any of the other problems that some have experienced other than the Service axle locker light as described above. My Tazer JLmini has worked flawlessly. I wish that I would have bought 67 Design stuff first instead of last. I put a CB in my Jeep, used it one time. I bought a Mopar Sun Shade, used it one time.

Love the Bestop Sunrider. I use this all the time. Love the ARB fridge. I tinted the side windows and tinted a strip across the windshield at first I was like meh for the strip across the windshield. After a week, It grew on me and I would absolutely do it again. You can see it in the current picture at the beginning. The ACE Engineering rear bumper and Stand Alone Tire carrier has been flawless and I would buy them again. I am suprised at how well the Roam Side Step Armor has held up. It is the body mounted version and has taken a pounding at Windrock, Rausch Creek, Moab, and the Rubicon Trail. Love the Roam front Bumper. I love how the winch is tucked down under the radiator and is almost hidden. I have a Smittybuilt X2O 12,000 pound winch that has worked everytime that I needed it. That sounds glamorous, but it has only been twice for recovery. The bad thing is the wireless function stopped working a few weeks after I got the winch. Note, I do spool it out and back in before each major Jeep adventure.

Very pleased with how well this thing is holding up considering it is not a daily driver and is used primarily as a drive to trail rig all over the US.
Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Take away the locker issue and you have a great testimonial :like: Especially how it has been used

Outlawd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 punk'n Rubicon unlimited, 1968 Plymouth GTX, 1969 Coronet R/T 440 BDS 871 blower 900hp
Awesome, your using her for what she's built for. Live it up :like:

2019 JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Do you have any idea how often the locker problems are happening. Would it be a good thing to just buy the Z Automotive locker bypass harness so the problem can be avoided and never have to worry about the problem. Does this disable anything? Why would they not do this OEM.

Sponsored

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
Bro amazing .... I guess in 6 months I will be posting up my 2 year achievements :like: :like: not sure they will be as glorious as yours....

CenTX JPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 05 TJR 6spd
Any issues with the Roam slider/steps, as far as coatings? What coatings do you have on them? Are the body mount style more sturdy than frame mount? Those are on my to do list, so I am curious. Thanks, and love your writeup.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Years of Wheeling, 32 badge trails 39,000+ miles, a short report out on trail damage and general observations. 1604956956984

Next week, the JLUR will be two years old. This is a current picture from today.

Awesome adventures thats what its all about!
Here is a pics of the 32 badges that we have done. We have also wheeled many non-badge trails around the country also. Almost flipped the JLUR over backwards at Rausch Creek.

The only damage the Jeep took was on the last badge trail that we ran in Pennsylvania at Rausch Creek called Crawl Daddy. There was a rock sticking out that scrubbed the passenger rear fender flare. Not bad considering the trails we have ran over the last two years.

Almost. My bud Gary was stacking rocks to help get the nose of the Jeep back down. This happened as my wife was backing down the hill climb. She made it to the top, but the breakover angle was to much for her to crest the top.

Things that I have had repaired over the two years that was not general maintenance...

I had the sensor in the rear diff go bad so I bought an axle to get a new sensor. That sensor went bad and then fixed that problem with the Z Automotive locker bypass harness. Jeep still pisses me off over the sensor in the rear of the Jeep.

The JLUR has been driven hard and has towed this camper over 14,000 miles in one year.

I have not had any steering issues or Uconnect issues, or any of the other problems that some have experienced other than the Service axle locker light as described above. My Tazer JLmini has worked flawlessly. I wish that I would have bought 67 Design stuff first instead of last. I put a CB in my Jeep, used it one time. I bought a Mopar Sun Shade, used it one time.

Love the Bestop Sunrider. I use this all the time. Love the ARB fridge. I tinted the side windows and tinted a strip across the windshield at first I was like meh for the strip across the windshield. After a week, It grew on me and I would absolutely do it again. You can see it in the current picture at the beginning. The ACE Engineering rear bumper and Stand Alone Tire carrier has been flawless and I would buy them again. I am suprised at how well the Roam Side Step Armor has held up. It is the body mounted version and has taken a pounding at Windrock, Rausch Creek, Moab, and the Rubicon Trail. Love the Roam front Bumper. I love how the winch is tucked down under the radiator and is almost hidden. I have a Smittybuilt X2O 12,000 pound winch that has worked everytime that I needed it. That sounds glamorous, but it has only been twice for recovery. The bad thing is the wireless function stopped working a few weeks after I got the winch. Note, I do spool it out and back in before each major Jeep adventure.

Very pleased with how well this thing is holding up considering it is not a daily driver and is used primarily as a drive to trail rig all over the US.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Do you have any idea how often the locker problems are happening. Would it be a good thing to just buy the Z Automotive locker bypass harness so the problem can be avoided and never have to worry about the problem. Does this disable anything? Why would they not do this OEM.
It is a big enough problem that it has caused a national shortage for the Dana JL 44 rear end. It is a shame that Jeep has not fixed this yet. Not a real problem for anyone that leaves it stock as Jeep fixes it by putting a new rear end in the Jeep or two or three. They really should just address the problem. It was a problem for me as I had re-geared and they would not cover it under warranty. The Z Automotive locker Bypass harness fixes it and you loose nothing in the way of function.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Bro amazing .... I guess in 6 months I will be posting up my 2 year achievements :like: :like: not sure they will be as glorious as yours....
Well we are all lucky as we are not in a competition with each other. We all have different circumstances and different pulls and priorities on our time. I am retired, all my kids are grown, my parents have passed on and my wife is close to retirement. Speaking of my wife, she is super cool and I can say things like, "hey going to take off for a week or two and go Jeeping." Her typical response would be, "Do the dishes before you leave and I will see you when you get back." She rocks and we give each other a lot of freedom. She also loves Jeeps, maybe even more than I do. I have to curb her enthusiasm often. She says things like, "We need a Hemi or a 6.0 LS" or "Hey lets put on 1 tons and forties." I showed her some Jeep lights that go with the American Adventure Lab Front fender brace and LED turn signals the other days and she was like that is awesome. I told her that I was thinking about ordering them. She pulled money out of her purse and said, "I will pay for them if you order them right now."

Waiting on the new lights and a few other things right now.....

In the end of the day, Just plan and go on an adventure. If you have kids, take them with you. Show them the world is bigger than their home town.

Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Any issues with the Roam slider/steps, as far as coatings? What coatings do you have on them? Are the body mount style more sturdy than frame mount? Those are on my to do list, so I am curious. Thanks, and love your writeup.

My bud Bill with this Jeep has the frame mounted Roam slider/steps. He took a very hard drop on to the sliders on the Rubicon trail and did flex them up into the tub. It made a very small ding in the tub. He noticed it while cleaning his Jeep. The hit was so hard that it actually bent the lip on the underside of the slider. The hit must of been incredibly hard as I don't think this would happen under normal off-roading situations. Then again, the Rubicon trail is not normal. We did not take any of the bypasses.

I have their ecoating.... I think is what they call it. It has held up well. I have repainted the underside and the bottom leading up to the step several times. The sliders have done wonderful in protecting my tub and doors. As you can see by looking at the bead lock rings, It as taken a beating. After wheeling trips, I clean the underside of the Jeep and use a flat black rust inhibitor spray paint to touch up all the scrub marks on the frame, sliders, and skid plates.

I am considering taking the sliders off and having them Line-X over the winter.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Great to hear your JL is treating you well!

My JL turned 1 year last weekend. It’s been brilliant: the Jeep is a blast to drive on and off-road, play with in the snow, and it’s been totally trouble-free so far.

Knock on wood!

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

I do love me some wheelin stories... great write up Ted, and tell your wife I can empathize with her about being vertical.;)

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
@wibornz first thanks for sharing and you really have enjoyed your Wrangler.

Second can you explain the diff issue systems a bit more. We have wheeled our 18 but not a ton. When we try to put it in 4 lo it struggles to go in. It then also “pops” out very often. Folks around me have always said that’s normal. This is our first Wrangler so I do not know what “normal” is.
Sponsored