Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sr. Applications Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
@BDinTX, his wife, and I took a trip to Moab last week to run a few of the badge trails and a few of the easy scenic trails in the area. I had a blast, upped my confidence in both my abilities as well as the Jeep's, and I will definitely be going back at some point as there is so much more to see and do there.

As we were coming from two different cities and our schedules for leaving didn't line up we agreed to meet up in Farmington, NM on Saturday night. The next morning we got up and hit the road towards Canyonlands NP in order to run the badge trail Elephant Hill. On the way we made a brief stop at Newspaper Rock to see the Petroglyphs.
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure IMG_5706.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure IMG_7389.JPG

Once we made it to the trail-head we aired down and headed up Elephant Hill. We ran the loop and the northern spur up to the Confluence overlook. The most challenging/technical section really is the hill itself that you tackle at the beginning and then again on your way out. The views of the Needles area were awesome and I really enjoyed the trail. The loop section did have a few other rocky climbs and descents that made it interesting, and As many of you have probably seen, there is a short section of switchback on the hill itself that you have to back down on the way in and back up on the way out.
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure IMG_0037.JPG

Me going back up Elephant Hill on the way out
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure IMG_7391.JPG

@BDinTX climbing one section of the hill
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure IMG_5710.JPG

The confluence of the Green and Colorado rivers.

After getting back to the trailhead we aired up and made our way into Moab to check-in to our lodging for the remainder of the week.
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure IMG_5760.JPG

The next morning we got up and headed for the Sand Flats Recreation area to tackle Hell's Revenge. This was a bucket list trail for both @BDinTX and I and we both wanted to conquer Hell's Gate. Hell's Revenge turned out to be one of my favorites of the trip (minus the exit area past the newly reopened Staircase; that section is just a bumpy mess crawling over rocks and getting bounced all over the place). There are lots of different obstacles along the trail and you can really pick your line on how difficult you want to make it in addition to the optional named obstacles. Hell's gate looks very intimidating when you are there, but we both walked right up it with no issues. We did skip the Escalator and the rowdier hot tubs as we both had driven our Jeeps from Texas to Moab and didn't want to break or flop and loose our way home.
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure IMG_7410.JPG

Airing down at the Hell's Revenge trailhead.
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure IMG_7421.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure IMG_7424.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure IMG_0047.JPG

Following Hell's revenge we had some lunch and then headed for Fins & Things. It was a lot like Hell's Revenge in scenery and obstacle type, but there were still some fun sections. We only ended up running the Southern portion of the trail, but that just gives us all the more reason to go back.
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure IMG_7438.JPG

@BDinTX coming down an obstacle on Fins & Things

Tuesday morning we got up and headed down Kane Creek road to Hurrah Pass. This is one of the easy trails in the area but the views more than make up for the lack of obstacles to conquer. Once over the pass we made our way to Catacomb Rock. This is a great place to stop for lunch and explore the multitude of wind caves.
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure IMG_7450.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure IMG_7457.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure IMG_7503.JPG

Inside one of the wind caves
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure IMG_0066.JPG

After exploring the area and having a bite to eat, we continued on down to Chicken Corners. Again, this trail is very easy but the views were great. Once we made it down to the hiking trail at the end we turned around and made our way back into Moab and some rest.
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure IMG_0069.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure IMG_7518.JPG

After a little rest we decided that we wanted to see if we could get into Arches NP to see an arch or two. Following @wibornz advice from the epic trip he is on, we took the back way (4X4 route) into Arches and avoided the lines and that whole process.
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure IMG_7525.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure IMG_7552.JPG

The next day we got up and drove outside of town about 40 minutes to run Top of the World. I had been told by a friend that this was a must do for the epic view at the end, and he was right. Top of the World is very bumpy and will try your patience with the time it takes to make it up and back, but there are a few obstacles along the way to make it fun and the view at the end just isn't describable with words. We both took the obligatory picture on the cliff edge and had lunch at the top. On the way back down the trail we ran into a large group of Broncos headed up. They were in town for the Bronco Safari. The Bronco Buster (YouTube) guy was there, however he had to abandon his rig on the side of the trail with what we later found out was a broken steering issue.
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure IMG_0085.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure DJI_0019.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure IMG_7565.JPG

Once off Top of the World we headed back towards Moab a few miles to Onion Creek Road. This is a gorgeous dirt road that winds through a narrow canyon below the overlook of Top of the World. There are about 27 creek crossings along this road, however you could run it in a passenger car as it is a well maintained gravel road. At the end of this road there is a fork that can take you on a long overland route or to another more difficult trail, but we were getting tired so we backtracked to the highway and back to Moab.

Our last morning we woke up and headed down Potash road to the trailhead for Poison Spider. This turned out to be my favorite trail of the week. The views of Moab, the La Sal Mountains, and the Colorado River were amazing and there were plenty of fun obstacles to play around on. In addition it connects several other trails and we explored a minimal amount on Where Eagles Dare and Golden Spike.
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure IMG_7576.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure IMG_0094.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure IMG_7589.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure IMG_7595.JPG

The next day we woke up and began our journey home. On the way we stopped at Cadillac Ranch outside Amarillo, TX to check it out.

I hope you enjoyed the pictures and the overview of our trip. @BDinTX may have some pictures or comments to share as well.
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Good write up and thank you again for letting us tag along.
Edit:
Would also like to commend @B_AIRS for doing an excellent job planning out the trails for each day and keeping things organized.

5/1
Just starting the drop in on Elephant Hill
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure 1652461876173

At the bottom of the hill we saw a full sized pickup that had a flat tire in the bed.
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure 1652463232985

Getting the squeeze
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure 1652462063194

Heading out
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure 1652462157070

5/2
Hells Revenge
Everybody has seen this hill, it always seems to look smaller videos. Second pic for reference:
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure 1652462632434

Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure 1652462672533

Hells Gate, also looks wayyyy steeper in person. As my wife is recording from the top, a couple of folks stop to watch. One of them you can hear in her video saying that it's entertaining to watch people flop and roll down the hill. Not nice!
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure 1652462807156

I believe this is the Dragons Tail? You get to that last mark visible in the picture and you can't see anything. Also, would be nice if it exited to the parking lot at this point. As Brian mentioned, the exit is a beating.
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure 1652463063925

Fins and Things, surrounded by an amazing lanscape.
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure 1652463381892

5/3
Hurrah pass water crossing
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure 1652463474840

Top of the pass
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure 1652463666409

Coming down on the other side of the pass
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure 1652463768416

A little climb above the turnaround point for Chicken Corners was a beautiful view and a couple of touching tributes to loved ones lost
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure 1652464112996

Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure 1652464129561

5/4
First couple of ledges near the beginning of Top of the World, Brian making them look easy
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure 1652464299996

Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure 1652464393290

Coming down, my wife doing an excellent job spotting
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure 1652464603569

I think we were the first ones on the trail this morning since we never had anyone pass us going the opposite direction until later but there was a bit of a traffic jam from all the broncos coming up later
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure 1652464663963

PSA - if you're going to be nice and yield to traffic even though you have right of way... please don't do it in such a way that you're blocking the only reasonably passable stretch of trail.
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure 1652464840051

Busted bronco @B_AIRS mentioned - it's a nice looking rig. We also heard about another one on a different trail that same day with a similar problem. It's unfortunate they seem to suffer from weak steering components.
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure 1652465087675

Onion Creek, amazing scenery on an easy trail which was welcome after the previous trail
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure 1652465535457

PSA - This is a really smooth road but has lots of blind corners. Brian almost had somebody hit him because they were going way to fast with zero visibility
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure 1652465719113

It finally opens up to a green valley floor. The Top of the World overlook is over my left shoulder at this point
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure 1652465818736

5/5
Poison Spider
I got out to spot and asked my wife to run up the first several good obstacles. She also happens to be a good driver. Yup, I'm bragging on her.
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure 1652466160785

Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure 1652466090096

Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure 1652466197746

Wife doing the Wedgie
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure 1652466977579

View from the top overlooking Moab
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure 1652466496471

Another couple of memorials
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure 1652466546989

Final thoughts:
Moab was a bucket list location for me and it didn't disappoint. I had put the most though and had the most anticipation for Hells Gate and it was great. Top of the World and Poison Spider weren't even on my radar so I didn't know what to expect. I'd be hard pressed to pick which of the three was my favorite as they both offered something a little different. Both my wife and I would like to go back.

I am also one that doesn't like to put stickers on my vehicles besides the eagle globe and anchor of course. So when I added this one, it really says something about how much I enjoyed it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Two Texas JLWranglerForums members on a Moab Adventure 947D19D5-C350-469A-A042-E048F9E3943D

Last edited:

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Great write up and pics. Moab is a beautiful place. It has a tendency to spoil me for other places. The wheeling is so good it makes other trails that if you had not been to Moab you would say this is an awesome trail, but after zMoab some trails are now just kind of okay when compared to trails and views that are in Moab.

For example, Monument Valley is beautiful. But if you go to Monument Valley after being in Moab or Valley of the Gods, Monument Valley is just okay.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Day 2 video is ready!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Great write ups!!! So awesome to see others out there hitting those epic trails. You nailed it... the exit to Hell's Revenge sucks balls. Try doing it in the pitch black on your first ever wheeling trip... lol.
The good news is you no longer need to take it. They opened up the original exit, I think it's called the staircase and it loops you back to the parking lot. Check it out next time :)

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@mgroeger OMG doing it in the dark would have been nerve wracking! I wanted to do a night trail but we were only days past a new moon and had never done any of the trails before so figured it would be wise to try it another time.

We did stop and look at staircase and what we could see from the top it looked pretty reasonable, with the only minor consideration was an area where roof scraping might happen if you weren't careful. Since we didn't know what was beyond that we followed the right fork.

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully I’m not pushing my luck with the moderators, but only two more after this.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here’s #4 of 5 - Top of the World:

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last one

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol ya she’s pretty solid. You’ll love it there!
Sponsored