First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Get the dual.top.
This is what I did but only so I can use the hard top on vacations where I may need to lock my luggage in it temporarily while eating or something.
Sponsored

Pink Shark

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler UJL
I had a JK Rubi and now a JL Rubi. The JL is much smoother, much quicker,y, handles much better.. I have the premium soft top. I decided the ease of loading in the back cargo area with the hardtop didn't outweigh being able to put my top down in 1 minute or less. On the highway, the top is pretty quiet up to 75 mph. I daily drive mine and will put 12k-14k a year on it. No complaints at all, no issues, great Jeep (my 3rd)

chilly_one

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara; Granite Metallic
This is what I did but only so I can use the hard top on vacations where I may need to lock my luggage in it temporarily while eating or something.

I saw pictures of someone who installed the jeepbackbone rear deck. Basically provides a locking trunk for your jeep. Seems like a pretty cool aftermarket investment, especially if you're going to have the soft top on most of the year. https://www.jeepbackbone.com/

BBDOC

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 5-Series, Honda Civic, Honda Minivan
I have a fully loaded Rubi with dual tops and love it! Another option, is to get a Toplift pro and quick bolts for the hard top. You can have the hard top off in just a few minutes. Just check weather for rain:rain:. My daughters can help me with the top and have it off in less then 5 minutes. I’m in love with the new safari top and run like that most of the time. Keeps the sun off my head but still open and airy:rock:. I close it up in the evening for the kids to keep the chill out :like:

5C937BDB-FE78-4C75-8651-964DC9454BFD.jpeg

Turfman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Curious since I do not have mine yet? Does the soft top have to be completely removed to install the hard top or partially or left on?

Sponsored

Turfman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Vehicle Showcase

Peanut Butter

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL?
I have a JL Rubi with premium soft top as my daily driver.

I have about 1,000 miles. I wouldn't change a thing.

Waiting

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon, 3.6L, 8-spd auto
I find it very easy to leave rear window in the upper slide channel and flip it onto the roof to load stuff in the back. I used to have dual tops on a JK. Flipping it up on the roof take 5 seconds longer than opening the hard top glass. It takes 10 seconds to put it back down by sliding the plastic fins in their grooves and snapping the tail gate bar in. By my estimation, that's 15 second longer than using the hard top. To me this extra 15 seconds on each load is worth the hassle of hardtop. I also think the JL premium fabric is waaaay better (quieter) than my '09 JK's; and.... soft tops just look better.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Since I don't yet have a JL I can't add anything to this thread other than . . . WDE!!!

Sponsored

AggieJeepGuy

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (replaced 2007 JKUR); 2016 Durango Brass Monkey edition; 2011 Expedition; 2002 Trans Am WS6 6spd
Vehicle Showcase
Dual top for the win. Huge savings vs buying separate. The back window on the softop really can’t be rolled up/ bent awkwardly like on previous models so it you need loads to hang out the back it doesn’t work as well. But love the premium cloth that comes with dual top vs the standard soft top and the safari look is pretty cool. Just finally got mine on last weekend and have been out of town so look forward to some open air this weekend.

Can’t wait to get new springs/shocks on mine with a lift ... compared to my 07 JK it feels like I’m driving a Buick or Cadillac almost with the ride. I mean it’s an awesome ride, but it’s so good I can’t used to it after 11 years of the other!

Compared to my old leaky, underpowered 3.8 it’s like driving a corvette (slight exaggeration) so it’s just not even a fair comparison... plus the 8 spd trans, it’s just a knife at a gunfight type comparison. Only thing not worth getting as an option unless you are driving it stock forever is the steel bumpers and upgraded wheels. Save the $2g and use that for your dual top!

UrbanRogue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
With the removal of the zippers I personally find it SOOOOO much easier to flip up the rear window when I need to get something larger in. Before I had to fight with zipper on each side to go up.
Sponsored