AUjeepgirl23

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Rubicon JLU 2.0 Turbo
Hello!

I’m researching everything about the new JL. I’m on the fence about taking the plunge. I have a 2015 JKU Sahara that I love. Already have 53K, so I must really love it lol.

I’m considering the JL Rubicon and wanted some insight from those that have a Rubi as a daily driver. How does it perform on-road? I’ll mostly use it for the beach and trail riding, but I like the idea of having something capable of tackling the big stuff as well.

Also, if I can get opinions on the soft top? I have a hard top and actually love it. I am in and out of the cargo area a lot and it’s just so easy to load and go, but I like the look of the soft top and the ease of being completely topless.

Hope to hear some opinions on both. Thanks!
Sponsored

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
Hello!

I’m researching everything about the new JL. I’m on the fence about taking the plunge. I have a 2015 JKU Sahara that I love. Already have 53K, so I must really love it lol.

I’m considering the JL Rubicon and wanted some insight from those that have a Rubi as a daily driver. How does it perform on-road? I’ll mostly use it for the beach and trail riding, but I like the idea of having something capable of tackling the big stuff as well.

Also, if I can get opinions on the soft top? I have a hard top and actually love it. I am in and out of the cargo area a lot and it’s just so easy to load and go, but I like the look of the soft top and the ease of being completely topless.

Hope to hear some opinions on both. Thanks!
I had a JK Rubi and now a JL Rubi. The JL is much smoother, much quicker,y, handles much better.. I have the premium soft top. I decided the ease of loading in the back cargo area with the hardtop didn't outweigh being able to put my top down in 1 minute or less. On the highway, the top is pretty quiet up to 75 mph. I daily drive mine and will put 12k-14k a year on it. No complaints at all, no issues, great Jeep (my 3rd)

Thermodynamicles

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I'm a first-time Jeep owner and have a JLU Sahara with a soft top. I love the soft top. I'm in and out of the cargo area quite a bit and don't really think it's that bad, but I don't really have much to compare it with either. Same as Chemy350, up to around 70 it's not too noisy.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Soft top for the win!

2 dr Rubi, daily driver. Drives like a Wrangler, but better, if that makes any sense.

No regrets.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Sounds like you really love your current Jeep. What's your hurry to get a new one?

Sponsored

Grousemont

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2014 Roadster 981S, 2009 CLK350 AMG/coupe
I am not an owner yet (still in D1), but the one bit of technology I don't like in the rubicon version (which I still did order) is the pseudo limited slip rear diff. The rubicon has Dana 44 differentials which I presume prevent having limited slip. Instead in 4WD H when a tire spins loose it applies the brake to that wheel. This obviously will wear brake pads faster than I'd like and possibly unevenly. Of course in 4WD L, you have rock eating lockers! Sahara has an option of auto select 4WD H with limited slip. But no lockers.

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
I am not an owner yet (still in D1), but the one bit of technology I don't like in the rubicon version (which I still did order) is the pseudo limited slip rear diff. The rubicon has Dana 44 differentials which I presume prevent having limited slip. Instead in 4WD H when a tire spins loose it applies the brake to that wheel. This obviously will wear brake pads faster than I'd like and possibly unevenly. Of course in 4WD L, you have rock eating lockers! Sahara has an option of auto select 4WD H with limited slip. But no lockers.

You can only lock it in low not 4 hi ?

KillaRubi

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon (on order)
Occupation
IT
I had a 15 JK sport (60k miles) with bilstein shocks and stiffer springs, which made it much better than stock, and now have a JL rubi and it blows my JK out of the water as far as handling and ride. I've never driven a sahara so i cant make a comparison there, but i dont mind the stiff suspension of the rubi and neither does anyone who rides in it. To me it drives amazing on road and is a major upgrade from my JK all around. I was worried it might be too rugged for a daily driver but i have zero complaints.

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
Hi Jennifer...

Honestly...and it's just my opinion here...I'm not sure that there's anything bad about the JL Rubicon I can point out. First off, let me say that I think the aesthetics of the JL Rubicon compared to the other JL models is superior, mainly because of the high fenders and the hood. But if you're making me point out one thing that I really don't like, I think it would be the size of the gas tank. I would prefer to have at least a tank that would hold 25 to 30 gallons as opposed to...I think it's 21.5 gallons...that the JL Rubicon currently has. I could be incorrect on that...it could be 22.5 gallons but at any rate, I would've preferred a larger gas tank or at least an option for a larger gas tank. At first, I was looking to just purchase an Unlimited Sport but as I kept researching the new JL, I felt the Rubicon was just a better match for what I wanted and what I was wanting to do with the Jeep. While I didn't buy one off a dealer lot, I instead ordered mine to make it feel a little more.....personal for/to me. I got it just the way that I wanted it to be. I don't have a soft top yet but plan on getting one when they become more readily available. Mine is also not a daily driver. During the week, you can find her out of the blazing Texas sun and sitting in my garage. She comes out on weekends and the occasional Friday here and there. I do think the road performance of this Jeep has already exceeded my expectations...even with the mud tires I have on her, I think she handles very well...even at speeds of around 80 mph. Now...with that being said, I did have to play with the inflation pressures in the tires but I have since found a happy medium for me at 36 psi per tire. I feel that she is extremely well balanced and responsive from both the power and the steering perspective. I also really enjoy my upgraded infotainment system and the Sirius/XM package that was included with it. What I think is really nice is the weather radar that comes with it all. Personally, I find that pretty handy...not to mention my Jeep is a wifi hotspot as well. The JL is certainly "not your father's Jeep"...that's for sure.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/w5mqs-granite-jlur-build.7003/

Anyway...that's my 2 cents...best of luck in your decision. I'm sure you'll pick what is just right for you.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
In my opinion, you should get the dual top group when you order. Definitely get both tops when you order!

I am just like you. I love the ease of access in the cargo area with the hard top, but I love the ease of making the Jeep an open air experience with the soft top. Unfortunately, I didn't get both! I wish I had!

The new soft tops are SWEET. One handed operation to put it down and up again. SO nice!

Sponsored

Grousemont

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2014 Roadster 981S, 2009 CLK350 AMG/coupe

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Don't forget one of the attributes that come ONLY with the RUBICON !

JIMBO
PICT0251.JPG

OP
OP
AUjeepgirl23

AUjeepgirl23

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone for chiming in. Good stuff :)

I’m leaning toward sticking with the hardtop and then perhaps picking up a soft top at a later date.

I park outside and then defrost comes in really handy to clear up the back windows lol.

OP
OP
AUjeepgirl23

AUjeepgirl23

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like you really love your current Jeep. What's your hurry to get a new one?
I think I just love all Jeeps lol. I know I don’t want to keep it for the next 4 or 5 years, so now is the time to trade it in to get the most for it...or at least that’s what I’m thinking lol.