Two Proposals on JLU Sahara order, could use some advice!

halw9000

Active Member
First Name
Hal
Joined
Apr 1, 2018
Messages
41
Reaction score
58
Location
Austin TX
Vehicle(s)
'07 JKU, Ordering JLU Sahara
Build: JLU Sahara, granite, tow/JD electrical, LED, CWG, infotainment, LSD, Black hardtop, tan leather, slush mats, headliner.

MSRP: 49210
Sales tax rate: 6.25%

CarMax trade appraisal: 9500
Trade-in fully paid off.

Called all Jeep dealerships in the area. Told them about offer #2 and many declined to match.

Offer 1: 46008 (-1% invoice), trade 8950.

Comes from the dealer who I test drove with. More convenient dealership location. Seems to see me as a novice because I am 25. Gave me a pretty “official looking” price breakdown. Said he wants my trade in by Friday.

2: 44500 (~4% under invoice) Won’t value trade-in until closer to arrival.

Dealer ~25miles away. Gave me a build sheet w/ 44500, OTD 47,700 w/o trade written in pen w/signature. Haven’t dealt with them much but very friendly on the phone. Says they couldn’t take my car now as a trade because of the time between trade and actually receiving the vehicle.


Basically, I’m not sure whether I should push it on the first guy to try and match #2. It’s complicated because I don’t want to drive my trade-in the next 8 weeks and risk losing value. I think I’m going to be able to work something out with my dad’s business vehicles as a loaner, though.

So I need help with a couple things:

Besides losing tax savings from trade, what other costs are associated off the 9500 from CarMax if I sell this week? Do they take anything out of that figure when buying it?

Any advice on negotiating with #1? Should I send him an email with the other offer or bring it in person? Leave it be and just go with #2? What are the rules about trading in a vehicle 10(god-willing) weeks in advance of receiving my order? Any other advice is obviously welcome.

I am a bit of a novice at 25, but I don’t want them to know that and take advantage. This is my first time going through this process.

Thank you to you all! I’ve learned so much from all your posts already.





Advertisement

 

kkuntz01

Well-Known Member
First Name
Kevin
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
1,017
Reaction score
809
Location
Mount Juliet, TN
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
The number one thing to remember, the power of purchase is in your hands. There are some dealers who like to hang on to the belief that what they have is a rare unicorn and the only reason you are there is because they possess it. Don't be afraid to be assertive and lay out what you want. If they are not willing to give you what you want, don't be afraid to walk. You'll find another Jeep at another dealer or you can order one. The best piece of advice I can dispense is just don't care. When you become emotionally attached to the potential purchase you end up making a bad buying decision.

I've been in a similar position when I was shopping for my wife's Ram 2500 CC. She had to have the blacked out package and it had a few options that I liked. After striking out with having my preferred dealer try and do a dealer trade I went in and started working out a deal. The sale guy was being a Delta Bravo and acting like he had this hot commodity that everyone wanted. When he wasn't willing to give me what I wanted I walked out the door and shortly thereafter e-mailed the internet guy I started working with saying, sorry didn't work out, too bad so sad. The next day I got calls and e-mails asking me what it would take to get me back in the door. I laid out what it would take and came out smelling like roses.

Now as far as the other dealer goes. It's kind of hit or miss, some dealers are cool and will give you a trade in value and hold, while others don't want to touch it until the day the deal closes. With this, I suppose it depends on what kind of vehicle you're trading in and how many miles you're putting on it. If you are not putting a lot of miles on the vehicle it "technically" shouldn't be a problem and the value shouldn't fluctuate terribly much. If you're racking on big miles every week, then yeah I can understand their stance.
 
OP
halw9000

halw9000

Active Member
First Name
Hal
Joined
Apr 1, 2018
Messages
41
Reaction score
58
Location
Austin TX
Vehicle(s)
'07 JKU, Ordering JLU Sahara
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
The number one thing to remember, the power of purchase is in your hands. There are some dealers who like to hang on to the belief that what they have is a rare unicorn and the only reason you are there is because they possess it. Don't be afraid to be assertive and lay out what you want. If they are not willing to give you what you want, don't be afraid to walk. You'll find another Jeep at another dealer or you can order one. The best piece of advice I can dispense is just don't care. When you become emotionally attached to the potential purchase you end up making a bad buying decision.

I've been in a similar position when I was shopping for my wife's Ram 2500 CC. She had to have the blacked out package and it had a few options that I liked. After striking out with having my preferred dealer try and do a dealer trade I went in and started working out a deal. The sale guy was being a Delta Bravo and acting like he had this hot commodity that everyone wanted. When he wasn't willing to give me what I wanted I walked out the door and shortly thereafter e-mailed the internet guy I started working with saying, sorry didn't work out, too bad so sad. The next day I got calls and e-mails asking me what it would take to get me back in the door. I laid out what it would take and came out smelling like roses.

With this, I suppose it depends on what kind of vehicle you're trading in and how many miles you're putting on it. If you are not putting a lot of miles on the vehicle it "technically" shouldn't be a problem and the value shouldn't fluctuate terribly much. If you're racking on big miles every week, then yeah I can understand their stance.
This has been helpful, thank you! I think my trouble right now is that my current jeep needs some work to be driven safely. I don't want to put more money into it at this point, especially when I have a loaner situation about worked out. Do you think I should press the dealer to accept it now? Is it possible for a dealer to apply trade-in value for a vehicle traded in months before arrival?

Regarding option #1--I think I may just tell him I have the 44.5 offer in writing. If he can do something close to that, I'm willing to place a small premium on service. Just not $30/month for 5 years.
 

cmb

Well-Known Member
First Name
Chad
Joined
Jan 24, 2018
Messages
335
Reaction score
922
Location
Austin TX
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2020 Toyota Tacoma
I had a similar situation. Ended up going with the dealer (in another town) that offered the 4% under invoice without having to haggle. Had a couple local dealers that kept calling me asking what it would take but would not match, just wanted me to come in about talk about it.

Like you I didn’t want to hold on to my trade until the Jeep arrived so I sold back to Mazda (had a miata) as soon as I knew I was placing the order. On that deal they cut a check for the agreed amount, there were no other fees. Sure my trade value would have dropped as I ordered a 2 door first week of Feb and I really don’t plan on see the Jeep before June.

Here in Austin I believe Leif Johnson advertises they will beat any CarMax offer by $500. Think the ad says you just need to supply the written offer.
 
OP
halw9000

halw9000

Active Member
First Name
Hal
Joined
Apr 1, 2018
Messages
41
Reaction score
58
Location
Austin TX
Vehicle(s)
'07 JKU, Ordering JLU Sahara
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
I had a similar situation. Ended up going with the dealer (in another town) that offered the 4% under invoice without having to haggle. Had a couple local dealers that kept calling me asking what it would take but would not match, just wanted me to come in about talk about it.

Like you I didn’t want to hold on to my trade until the Jeep arrived so I sold back to Mazda (had a miata) as soon as I knew I was placing the order. On that deal they cut a check for the agreed amount, there were no other fees. Sure my trade value would have dropped as I ordered a 2 door first week of Feb and I really don’t plan on see the Jeep before June.

Here in Austin I believe Leif Johnson advertises they will beat any CarMax offer by $500. Think the ad says you just need to supply the written offer.
Thanks, Chad! I was not aware that Leif Johnson did that--I'll definitely look into it. I've got my fingers crossed you'll be seeing that Jeep sooner than you expect.
 

kkuntz01

Well-Known Member
First Name
Kevin
Joined
Jan 20, 2018
Messages
1,017
Reaction score
809
Location
Mount Juliet, TN
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
This has been helpful, thank you! I think my trouble right now is that my current jeep needs some work to be driven safely. I don't want to put more money into it at this point, especially when I have a loaner situation about worked out. Do you think I should press the dealer to accept it now? Is it possible for a dealer to apply trade-in value for a vehicle traded in months before arrival?

Regarding option #1--I think I may just tell him I have the 44.5 offer in writing. If he can do something close to that, I'm willing to place a small premium on service. Just not $30/month for 5 years.
I hear you. I'm in a similar boat I've got a JL Rubi on order and I'll be trading in my '12 Rubi that needs a little work that I'm trying to avoid putting money in. Knock on wood the new one will get here before I ultimately have to do anything, but yeah it's not the great feeling.

Don't be afraid to play hardball with them. Tell them what you want and if they don't give it to you're going to head to Xxxxx dealer right afterward to go sign the papers. If they play ball, great. If they don't, go order it at the other dealer then be a dick and send the sales guy an e-mail with a pic of the buy order you just signed.
 
OP
halw9000

halw9000

Active Member
First Name
Hal
Joined
Apr 1, 2018
Messages
41
Reaction score
58
Location
Austin TX
Vehicle(s)
'07 JKU, Ordering JLU Sahara
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #7
I hear you. I'm in a similar boat I've got a JL Rubi on order and I'll be trading in my '12 Rubi that needs a little work that I'm trying to avoid putting money in. Knock on wood the new one will get here before I ultimately have to do anything, but yeah it's not the great feeling.

Don't be afraid to play hardball with them. Tell them what you want and if they don't give it to you're going to head to Xxxxx dealer right afterward to go sign the papers. If they play ball, great. If they don't, go order it at the other dealer then be a dick and send the sales guy an e-mail with a pic of the buy order you just signed.
Haha I like what you've been saying minus that last part--now THAT is too confrontational for me. I will however be telling option #1 that if he can match, let's do it, otherwise I am going to go with #2. We will see what happens... (give me a day or so and I will update on how that goes)
 
OP
halw9000

halw9000

Active Member
First Name
Hal
Joined
Apr 1, 2018
Messages
41
Reaction score
58
Location
Austin TX
Vehicle(s)
'07 JKU, Ordering JLU Sahara
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
I had a similar situation. Ended up going with the dealer (in another town) that offered the 4% under invoice without having to haggle. Had a couple local dealers that kept calling me asking what it would take but would not match, just wanted me to come in about talk about it.

Like you I didn’t want to hold on to my trade until the Jeep arrived so I sold back to Mazda (had a miata) as soon as I knew I was placing the order. On that deal they cut a check for the agreed amount, there were no other fees. Sure my trade value would have dropped as I ordered a 2 door first week of Feb and I really don’t plan on see the Jeep before June.

Here in Austin I believe Leif Johnson advertises they will beat any CarMax offer by $500. Think the ad says you just need to supply the written offer.
Chad... you are awesome man! So, I called Leif and mentioned I heard from a friend they would beat any CarMax offer by $500. The guy didn't know what I was talking about, but I took it in anyway. They offered me the trade at 10! The offer is good for another week which buys me time to work out my loaner situation (I won't bore you with that).

You rock. Thank you.
 

cmb

Well-Known Member
First Name
Chad
Joined
Jan 24, 2018
Messages
335
Reaction score
922
Location
Austin TX
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2020 Toyota Tacoma
Chad... you are awesome man! So, I called Leif and mentioned I heard from a friend they would beat any CarMax offer by $500. The guy didn't know what I was talking about, but I took it in anyway. They offered me the trade at 10! The offer is good for another week which buys me time to work out my loaner situation (I won't bore you with that).

You rock. Thank you.
Great to hear. Was going to post a correction that Henna is actually the dealer running the current ads that guarantees the extra $500. Think I heard about Johnson from a friend that was a buyer at CarMax and had told me about a number of dealers in Austin that would automatically go $500 over a CarMax offer.
 

Mordin Solus

Well-Known Member
First Name
Jason
Joined
Mar 17, 2018
Messages
463
Reaction score
1,482
Location
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Hey there, fellow Austin peeps! Was curious what dealer you went with and overall experience with the dealerships. Already have an order placed, just looking to compare notes :)
 

cmb

Well-Known Member
First Name
Chad
Joined
Jan 24, 2018
Messages
335
Reaction score
922
Location
Austin TX
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2020 Toyota Tacoma
When I ordered the Austin dealers I talked with were not willing to match the quote I had from a Houston dealer so I ordered there. Ordered a 2 door on Feb 6 from River Oaks in Houston, they were great to deal with on pricing/ordering. Haven't received yet so i don't have any feedback on delivery yet. We have been looking to a take couple day trip over to Houston anyway so will just plan that around the Jeep delivery.

Was looking at updating my suv a couple weeks ago and was thinking about a 4 door for that (need a bigger vehicle for the kids), talked with Maxwell again and they were willing to match now.
 

Mordin Solus

Well-Known Member
First Name
Jason
Joined
Mar 17, 2018
Messages
463
Reaction score
1,482
Location
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
When I ordered the Austin dealers I talked with were not willing to match the quote I had from a Houston dealer so I ordered there. Ordered a 2 door on Feb 6 from River Oaks in Houston, they were great to deal with on pricing/ordering. Haven't received yet so i don't have any feedback on delivery yet. We have been looking to a take couple day trip over to Houston anyway so will just plan that around the Jeep delivery.

Was looking at updating my suv a couple weeks ago and was thinking about a 4 door for that (need a bigger vehicle for the kids), talked with Maxwell again and they were willing to match now.
Nice, and thanks for the for the response! I sent emails to three of the local dealers here, Maxwell was the only one to respond. They matched the Houston offer, though wanted more for a deposit. No biggie, and I live 10 minutes away from them so that's a plus. And oddly enough, I will be trading in or selling to Carmax a Miata as well! 2016 Launch Edition.
 

cmb

Well-Known Member
First Name
Chad
Joined
Jan 24, 2018
Messages
335
Reaction score
922
Location
Austin TX
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2020 Toyota Tacoma
Check with Mazda on Burnet, they made me a good offer on my 2013 Miata.
 

Rusty Teeth

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2018
Messages
206
Reaction score
50
Location
York,PA 17408
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Electronics Tech/ Fabricator/ 5G Fiber Optic Cellular Tech
They use kbb around here. I wont take any less than stated by a 3rd party.
Then i inform all jeep dealers what i want and let them fight. Amazing end of the month they all are begging you!

I trade a car in every year for last 25 years.
I let them haggle. I sit back.

Just another 1 cent worth.
 

Advertisement




JTopsUSA
 



Advertisement
Top