Two piece front fenders?

JayV

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2015 Ford Expedition EL 4x4
Are we gonna be able to take the black trim piece and turn signals off the front fenders to get the same look as the Safari concept? Maybe that got covered in the TFL live show?
Sponsored

gumbyhoss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: '87 YJ '96 TJ '06 TJ '11 WKII '13 JK 2dr Sport Current: '18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
jeep-safari-concept.jpg

Pic for reference. I haven't seen anything about being able to do it officially, but would love to know if it's possible. Would also like to know if they'll sell that front grill with the JK style signals in the grill. We know there will be an aftermarket for front fenders, so might be a good Mopar option.

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Looks like the lines perfectly match! I was wondering if this mod was possible! These are aluminum right? That is the only thing that scares me.

A0DF3FA0-2B21-4FE7-8399-1CFDD06271DA.jpeg

5A30B267-73AD-4705-A79E-979E597B1521.jpeg

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
wow those do look like exact matches that is pretty awesome, which ones are aluminum? The concept Jeep fenders or the JL fenders? JL fenders are not aluminum and are just plastic from what I understand. Safari Jeep on the other hand...no idea.

Sponsored

jeepin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon
From multiple videos I watched of the LA auto show, Jeep reps made multiple hints at a character line(the line between the painted and non-painted) that could be trimmed.

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel
and that grill was that inspiration for the jl

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
in an interview with one of the designers he actually said, notice the "separation" line? "That looks like where it might separate, hint, hint"

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
wow those do look like exact matches that is pretty awesome, which ones are aluminum? The concept Jeep fenders or the JL fenders? JL fenders are not aluminum and are just plastic from what I understand. Safari Jeep on the other hand...no idea.
At the LA auto show they were said to be aluminum.

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Jeep JLR
Are we gonna be able to take the black trim piece and turn signals off the front fenders to get the same look as the Safari concept? Maybe that got covered in the TFL live show?
They could be two separate components. I’m wondering if it’s a molded one piece with the inner fender. The engine and suspension protection may be compromised. If this is the case, the inner could be left behind by a little bit of careful trimming.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Upon close inspection of a JL Rubicon today, it very much looks like you could separate them and run 37's. Lots of clearance in there.

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'm surprised this is not a 'top 5 topic' with respect to Wrangler JL discussion on forums and YouTube. Specifically, that the 2017 EJS prototype with clear doors WAS/ IS the Wrangler JL and that the vehicle's concept was in fact about hiding the new machine in 'clear' site. In fact it's likely that so many prototypes were shown last year, specifically with quite a few JK based models in the mix, in order to water down the group enough to divert attention from the fact that the two most radical concepts shared identical, completely redesigned windsheilds, grills and more importantly, structural dimensions forward of their B pillars. Jeep management has changed as much as the manufactured product. FCA knows that the company is the jewel in their crown and have been tempted with (well) above-market cash offers for Jeep at least twice in the last 18 months, likely more. They've correctly identified Wrangler as the brand's most important product and what's more, hardcore Jeepers as the most important customers. They made more than a few of them critically important members of the JL team. Reasonable as this is it is nonetheless new to the brand.

Point is, these guys are capable of a lot more than some cartoon Easter eggs sprinkled around. I'm pretty sure they've worked hard to find a fender design that will stay on the vehicle even in the hands of the 37+ crowd. Thing is, "Go ahead and remove the signal and safety lights" is not something their lawyers will let them come out and say, so instead we get a 'concept' with the piece removed and then at the launch an executive drops the "running 35s without a lift" comment. Its clever as hell and I think it looks great, I just can't believe no-one has much to say about it except for this post that's a month old and hasnt seen many views.

Maybe I should start a new thread on this, or on my questions about the upcoming deisel. I've noticed that the former product planning manager for JL, who now works for Dynatrac, when pressed about the torque output of the upcoming deisel was initially evasive but eventually when pressed and reminded that the Ram 1500 installation performed with approx. 440ft lbs., wouldn't agree that any number over 410 was likely. If you recall, Audi's ingeniously illegal deisel engine emissions test defeat software worked by running engines differently when onboard computers recognized vehicle was being tested for emmisions. A byproduct was substantially less horsepower and torque output during the test, however, the tests weren't measuring power and companies don't commit to those figures by that point in the process. Audi's deisels weren't any more powerful that other manufacturers at the time, when closely compared, and so it's not unreasonable to question whether perhaps the cheat was widespread. The new efficiency regulations put manufacturers under tremendous competitive pressure as they came at the height of an historic horsepower war and a surge in software's complexity and systems control. Is it possible that the same deisels, now installed in Wrangler won't have the benefit of an emmisions test "mode" and flashed for maximum emmisions control will produce 15% less torque that Ram 1500, a truck tested before any defeat software was discovered? Whatever, I'm still going to drop an LT4 in mine after I've secured a Dana 80 in the back, a 60 up front, baer racing brakes and ox lockers. Even more exciting than that though, I'll need to get around to breaking everything else first! Oh yeah!

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
I'm surprised this is not a 'top 5 topic' with respect to Wrangler JL discussion on forums and YouTube. Specifically, that the 2017 EJS prototype with clear doors WAS/ IS the Wrangler JL and that the vehicle's concept was in fact about hiding the new machine in 'clear' site. In fact it's likely that so many prototypes were shown last year, specifically with quite a few JK based models in the mix, in order to water down the group enough to divert attention from the fact that the two most radical concepts shared identical, completely redesigned windsheilds, grills and more importantly, structural dimensions forward of their B pillars. Jeep management has changed as much as the manufactured product. FCA knows that the company is the jewel in their crown and have been tempted with (well) above-market cash offers for Jeep at least twice in the last 18 months, likely more. They've correctly identified Wrangler as the brand's most important product and what's more, hardcore Jeepers as the most important customers. They made more than a few of them critically important members of the JL team. Reasonable as this is it is nonetheless new to the brand.

Point is, these guys are capable of a lot more than some cartoon Easter eggs sprinkled around. I'm pretty sure they've worked hard to find a fender design that will stay on the vehicle even in the hands of the 37+ crowd. Thing is, "Go ahead and remove the signal and safety lights" is not something their lawyers will let them come out and say, so instead we get a 'concept' with the piece removed and then at the launch an executive drops the "running 35s without a lift" comment. Its clever as hell and I think it looks great, I just can't believe no-one has much to say about it except for this post that's a month old and hasnt seen many views.

Maybe I should start a new thread on this, or on my questions about the upcoming deisel. I've noticed that the former product planning manager for JL, who now works for Dynatrac, when pressed about the torque output of the upcoming deisel was initially evasive but eventually when pressed and reminded that the Ram 1500 installation performed with approx. 440ft lbs., wouldn't agree that any number over 410 was likely. If you recall, Audi's ingeniously illegal deisel engine emissions test defeat software worked by running engines differently when onboard computers recognized vehicle was being tested for emmisions. A byproduct was substantially less horsepower and torque output during the test, however, the tests weren't measuring power and companies don't commit to those figures by that point in the process. Audi's deisels weren't any more powerful that other manufacturers at the time, when closely compared, and so it's not unreasonable to question whether perhaps the cheat was widespread. The new efficiency regulations put manufacturers under tremendous competitive pressure as they came at the height of an historic horsepower war and a surge in software's complexity and systems control. Is it possible that the same deisels, now installed in Wrangler won't have the benefit of an emmisions test "mode" and flashed for maximum emmisions control will produce 15% less torque that Ram 1500, a truck tested before any defeat software was discovered? Whatever, I'm still going to drop an LT4 in mine after I've secured a Dana 80 in the back, a 60 up front, baer racing brakes and ox lockers. Even more exciting than that though, I'll need to get around to breaking everything else first! Oh yeah!
I would counter that it had some JL elements, but it certainly wasn't a JL. Too many differences to point out here.

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
Wasn't there a recent report about the FCA Jeep diesel engine having problems with the EPA ala the Volkswagen situation?