Sponsored

Two-door Model is Popular, but Jeep Ends It in Europe. Sign of Things to Come?

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I think a slightly longer 2-door wheelbase would be welcome by most Jeep enthusiasts, I know I would be fine with it-as long as it is only slightly longer.
Yep, I think it brings a lot of additional usability to the vehicle which will increase take rate, but as you said -- as long as it's only a fair bit longer. Maybe a foot, at most.
Sponsored

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
From a CAFE standpoint, discontinuing the 2-door would be retarded. In any configuration you care to name, it gets better mileage than a similarly equipped 4-door.
But that's not how CAFE works.

The economy of any individual model matters less than the fleet average and the target that must be met.

That target is determined from vehicle footprint of the vehicles which are produced. Larger vehicles reduce the target.

So while the 2 door is more efficient than the 4 door, it actually increases the target the overall fleet needs to meet.

Even though FCA/Stellantis still needs to buy credits, lowering the target would reduce the credits they need to buy as well.

This Xtreme Recon package, even though it will result in less fuel efficient vehicles, would actually lower the fleet target. This is because the wide axles and larger tires increase the average track width when calculating the footprint.

LFMS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
The 2.0 and 2.2 diesel were both discontinued from the lineup, and theyā€™re only selling the 4xe now. Wranglers are a rare sight in Europe, even more uncommon than Defenders were in the US, and the majority of them used to be 2 doors. A sport there costs more than a rubi here and gas is very expensive, along with tougher emissions regulations, making the wrangler is a niche vehicle for those that can afford it. If Stellantis develops an EV version of the 2door JL itā€™ll likely return.
It now seems certain that a PHEV 2door JL is not in the cards, but as a model the 2door wonā€™t be going anywhere, especially with the latest competition (and yes Iā€™m totally jealous of the cargo space of the bronco).

Last edited:

Sponsored

AgentWolf

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I predicted it in another thread. The jist of it is that jeep will slowly give all the new features, engines, upgrades etc.. to the 4 door only and then people will all be drawn to only look at 4 doors.

Then you discontinue the 2 door saying the public didnā€™t demand it enough when it was the plan all along.

McKenzie

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR; 2016 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Education
I predicted it in another thread. The jist of it is that jeep will slowly give all the new features, engines, upgrades etc.. to the 4 door only and then people will all be drawn to only look at 4 doors.

Then you discontinue the 2 door saying the public didnā€™t demand it enough when it was the plan all along.
Agreed. It's easy to say "people don't buy it!" when you don't actually offer it. See: manual transmissions

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Wrangler 2-door US sales are lower than they ought to be partly because of FCAā€™s own boneheaded decision to exclude 2-door from Sport Altitude, Sahara, Moab, Sahara Altitude, High Altitude, and now 4Xe, 392 and Recon Xtreme.

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
As long as Bronco is offering a 2 door so will Jeep!
Bronco wonā€™t be offering much of anything until it resolves its litany of production hang ups.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
First off, let me say I am a big fan of encouraging people to get more efficient vehicles.

Now, let me also say, that I despise standards of fuel efficiency by footprint!!!!!!!

Argh!

All of these damn cars are probably going to spend most of their time on the road with 1 driver, no passengers, anyway!

It'll probably be an unpopular thought, but I think the most effective way to encourage people to drive more efficient vehicles is to charge more for the fuel. When gas was $5/gallon nobody wanted a giant fuel guzzler except enthusiasts of such vehicles.

Still, I don't understand why a 2 door SUV with 1 person in it getting 12mpg is scandalous, but a corvette getting 12mpg with 1 person in it is ok.

Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
I personally love the 2dr. Iā€™ve had a few. No 4dr Jeep for me, Iā€™d go elsewhere. With that said, why in the world didnā€™t they put the 2.2 diesel in ā€˜em. Easily be 30+ mpg ( likely closer to 35). THAT Iā€™d buy tomorrow in a JLšŸ‘

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
The 2 dr is long enough. They make small off road trailers for those who want to bring their house with them. You can buy the four door or a truck also. Iā€™ve seen some very good off road trailers(utility) by members on this forum that were made by themselves. Most off road Jeeps loaded to the hilt never even get unloaded at the camp site, some do. Travel lite and enjoy the great outdoors. A tent, cooler, chair, sleeping bag camp fire and quietness and personal protection. I think maybe 2 inches shorter and more narrow. Just my opinion. Itā€™s great to have choices. We could use a few more.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Hmm, where are those numbers available? I'm not doubting it just curious. I hope we see it stay alive, that's still a healthy number. If anything, I see the "2 door" becoming reimagined, and becoming a bit longer to provide more cargo room, a longer wheel base, etc., to improve take rate. It'll also allow them to keep it electric.
unfortunately, there are no official numbers released, but that was a number hinted at a few times in some FCA docs. Based on an unscientific pool I did (asking dealerships, polls on here and checking local inventory levels), it matches out. It is definitely not uniform, as some areas were as high as 40% 2-door, others are less than 10%.

A search for all of Canada shows 1426 total Wranglers, only 65 are 2 door ā€¦ less than 5%. Not sure if that is Stellantis just building more expensive units or the market demand.

I am curious as to what the ratio will be for the Bronco. The 2-door offers about as much room as the old TJ unlimited in the back, which is a major reason why many moved from a 2 to a 4 door. I think an extended 2-door will have more appeal.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
The point of cancelling the 2dr in Europe is to help their CO2 emissions, which are much more highly regulated. I suspect the 2drā€˜s length doesnā€™t allow it to easily accommodate odate the hybridā€™s battery.

Most likely, Jeep will either bring it back with the next gen Jeep. That one, IMO, will be designed to be an EV from the get go and let them sell 2 or 4drs in Europe.

JDChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
I'd be shocked if the 2 door Jeep goes away any time soon. It's been around for 80 years and it would be a crime against Jeep heritage to kill it off. Might as well get rid of the 7 slot grill while you're at it.

I think I've owned 6 Jeeps over the years and am currently driving a '16 JKU, waiting for Jeep to add the Mojave to the Wrangler. Hoping that if and when it comes it will be available in a 2 door as it would fit my needs better than a 4 door.
Sponsored