Sponsored

Two days in a JK and I’m ready for a JL

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
i was pretty sure I wanted a 2dr JL after a few test drives, but wasn’t completely sure how it would do as a daily driver in various conditions including traffic. I visited Los Angeles this week and rented a V6 JK 2dr and did about 200 miles in two days, visiting Malibu Canyon PCH, and across LA in traffic, freeways, and even found a few goat trails to play on.

I’m totally sold on a 2dr, and the Sport JK model I rented convinced me I don’t need a full blown Rubicon for the fun I want to have. The JK wasn’t as polished as the various JL models I drove, and the V6 lacked the more sophisticated 8 spd, but boy was it a blast to drive. Off road goat trails were a breeze, even in 2wd.

Only nits were:
-the god awful radio, improved in the JL, and the Bluetooth integration as well as lack of Airplay. That said, I had phone calls where the caller was surprised to learn I was 55 mph with the top portion off. I work out of my cars during commutes, so oddly this is an important requirement
- the LED display on the gauges as barely legible with the two front panels on the freedom top removed
-The gas mileage in the V6 was just ok - 17.3 mpg in a mix of conditions. I’m holding out for the 2020 Sport S with non BSG turbo, hoping to keep the mpgs in the 20s, and avoid the complications of E-torque.
- V6 in the two door really scoots from a stop, but power rolls off early and it feels less sophisticated and more old school than the turbo. Not a bad thing, but I actually like the quieter sophistication of the turbo.

Glad I rented the Jeep as it convinced me that switching to a 2dr Jeep wasn’t folly. Nothing like rolling down PCH, wind in your hair, in a Jeep!
Sponsored

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
The JK is sweet if you never drove a JL, I had no personal dislike with my JKU other than the fact I did not get it with the Alpine, my fault. But after getting my JLU, this thing is just really peppy and handles very well compared to the JKU, plus the updated interior.

Start stop is my only dislike.

After my YJ, I never test drove any of the other 4 Wrangler models prior to buying them.

Last edited:

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve said it before on these forums and I’ll say it again... the JK was an abomination against humanity and will be remembered as the worst jeep (of the CJ/Wrangler line).

Having said that, I’d rather own a JK than the vast majority of vehicles on the road. It’s still a jeep. And the JKU saved the Wrangler line so there’s no denying its importance.

Glad you’re going to be getting a 2-door! Those have to sell too for FCA to justify building them.

Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
the JK was an abomination against humanity and will be remembered as the worst jeep (of the CJ/Wrangler line).
I've heard that sentiment a bunch of times before on another forum, but never really could understand how someone would hate the JK and not also hate the JL. They're still really similar looking in a lot of ways, except the tops and the dashboard.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I've heard that sentiment a bunch of times before on another forum, but never really could understand how someone would hate the JK and not also hate the JL. They're still really similar looking in a lot of ways, except the tops and the dashboard.
Dude, don’t even get me started ;)

The JL is what the JK should have been upon launch (with the obvious exception of certain tech features like Apple Carplay and a backup camera). The JK looks rushed, lazy and not thought-out, probably because it was rushed, lazy and not thought-out. The JL is like they took the JK and finished designing it.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The JL is what the JK should have been upon launch (with the obvious exception of certain tech features like Apple Carplay and a backup camera). The JK looks rushed, lazy and not thought-out, probably because it was rushed, lazy and not thought-out. The JL is like they took the JK and finished designing it.
Not seeing it. My only beef with the JL's design is that little lip spoiler on the hard top. It's fuuugly and this is a Jeep, not an Infinit QX35 or something. Hopefully they don't move to a jellybean top for the JM lol. :)

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Dude, don’t even get me started ;)

The JL would have been a massive leap from the TJ, the only things about the 2007 JK I think they should have done differently is not use the minivan 3.8 and 4x2 nonsense.

Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
The JL would have been a massive leap from the TJ, the only things about the 2007 JK I think they should have done differently is not use the minivan 3.8 and 4x2 nonsense.
I just came from an 04 TJ and the JL is literally light years ahead. I'm extremely happy:like:

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Jeep have to be very careful when the Wrangler moves from one generation to other.

I never had any real gripes, except at times they tend to go batty and delete useful features like from the TJ to the JK we lost the little "rain fall measuring" tray on the dash, and the tumble front seats, losing the TJ engine to the minivan 3.8 was disappointing but bearable.

YJ to TJ was awesome, .

I'm much older now so JK to JL creature comforts are welcome, the nanny stuff are not, but what are we to do, win some, lose some, at least we can actually drop the windshield in a few minutes and freak out the neighbourhood folks.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Much like all of Chrysler's model year offerings between '07-'11, the JK was a POS when it debuted. This was at a time when Chrysler was close to circling the drain, so there was some serious penny pinching going on and it shows by the fact it was a parts bin vehicle that paled in comparison to the solid feel and confidence of the TJ. It was certainly a capable vehicle, but they got a lot wrong and obviously didn't test it whatsoever.

There was just zero pride in the early JKs until Fiat took over. Sergio Marchionne actually admitted publicly the JK was garbage and deserved better and that's when it started getting the love it deserved with the new interior, powertrain upgrades, and albeit largely goofy, the various appearance packages.

The various CJs, the YJ, and the TJ came out all strong when they launched and, aside from the haters, were very much accepted. The JK was not. In fact, I'd argue the only thing that saved the Wrangler from getting shitcanned at that time was the 4-door. Obviously, people warmed up to it and the JK ended up being a success, but it took a lot more time, effort, and change than any previous Wrangler and CJ ever did.

OP
OP
Hudson

Hudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
To be sure, the JL is much better but my time with the JK was just a big bunch of fun. I owned a TJ in 1997 and I forgot how much fun this rig was.

The Sport vs Rubicon issue was a real dilemma for me on paper, but I can easily see after 2 days where the Sport S will be just fine. The idea of getting 24+mpg in a fun vehicle outweighs the chance I may go rock crawling one day. (It would be an interesting day when I’d take a newer $50k rig onto a trail where I could do some real damage to it).

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
Much like all of Chrysler's model year offerings between '07-'11, the JK was a POS when it debuted. This was at a time when Chrysler was close to circling the drain, so there was some serious penny pinching going on and it shows by the fact it was a parts bin vehicle that paled in comparison to the solid feel and confidence of the TJ. It was certainly a capable vehicle, but they got a lot wrong and obviously didn't test it whatsoever.

There was just zero pride in the early JKs until Fiat took over. Sergio Marchionne actually admitted publicly the JK was garbage and deserved better and that's when it started getting the love it deserved with the new interior, powertrain upgrades, and albeit largely goofy, the various appearance packages.

The various CJs, the YJ, and the TJ came out all strong when they launched and, aside from the haters, were very much accepted. The JK was not. In fact, I'd argue the only thing that saved the Wrangler from getting shitcanned at that time was the 4-door. Obviously, people warmed up to it and the JK ended up being a success, but it took a lot more time, effort, and change than any previous Wrangler and CJ ever did.
Wrangler sales 2007-2011 were pretty much the same trend from the TJ, and it's known that the 4dr cannibalised 2dr sales, I'm one of those people that moved from a 2 to a 4, sticking with a 2 would have resulted in me needing a second vehicle, or giving up owning a Wrangler all together. Aside from the engine(common practice) and radios, I'm not sure what other parts were shared with other vehicles? The power window controls from the old PT cruiser?
Sponsored