Sponsored

Tweaking half doors for the perfect fit.

ВџУМεΆј℮℮℗

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AMC GREMLIN, GMC SIERRA, 21 WILLYS
I guess I'm N00bing out here. I'm trying to get to step 30 in the instructions. Which I believe is where you slide the dollar through. I have seen the Jeep Factory video so when it comes to adjusting the window if you need the window to seal tighter against the door you loosen the nut and then you turn the screw I'm guessing counterclockwise. Then you hold the screw and tighten the nut. Anyone got any clarification or tips?

Maybe I'll already figure it out by the time I get replies. But any will be appreciated thank you it may help the next n00b.
Sponsored

Kfoo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Hello again! I'm not stalking you I swear :)

Effectively: turn the nut clockwise with the 8mm wrench to 'loosen' the bolt of the post, then adjust the bolt with the 3mm hex. To bring the upper closer to the frame, turn the 3mm hex counter clockwise. After adjusting the bolt, retighten the nut with the wrench counter clockwise to complete the adjustment.

When adjusting the upper, take care not to flex the post. If flexed too far outwards, it will make it very difficult to pull the upper off of the door and the post will rub against the paint in the hole.

I found that for one of my uppers, I needed to use the sticky pad to bring the upper high enough to 'seal'.

OP
OP
ВџУМεΆј℮℮℗

ВџУМεΆј℮℮℗

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Effectively: turn the nut clockwise with the 8mm wrench to 'loosen' the bolt of the post, then adjust the bolt with the 3mm hex. To bring the upper closer to the frame, turn the 3mm hex counter clockwise. After adjusting the bolt, retighten the nut with the wrench counter clockwise to complete the adjustment.

When adjusting the upper, take care not to flex the post. If flexed too far outwards, it will make it very difficult to pull the upper off of the door and the post will rub against the paint in the hole.

I found that for one of my uppers, I needed to use the sticky pad to bring the upper high enough to 'seal'.
I have been doing little quarter terms. But it seems most of my Gap now is in the middle of the window. Where the dollar does require a touch of effort but I think it doesn't just stop like the ends. If that makes sense. And thanks for your help

Kfoo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have been doing little quarter terms. But it seems most of my Gap now is in the middle of the window. Where the dollar does require a touch of effort but I think it doesn't just stop like the ends. If that makes sense. And thanks for your help
Yeah, same deal for me. I have some sections where the seal isn't great. For the one upper where I used the sticky pad, the corner was way off before the pad.

The dollar bill test I think should end up taut such that you can't just pull it out without some resistance.

I think at the end of the day, jeeps are made to have easy-clean interiors. It's rained quite a bit here in the past couple weeks and mine has been fine. I wouldn't sweat it too much. If you do get rain in, you could try adjusting it more.

OP
OP
ВџУМεΆј℮℮℗

ВџУМεΆј℮℮℗

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will just wait for a Jeep Jamboree or something like that and someone tells me who in the hell installed your windows son?? They are all sorts of jacked up. And then everyone starts laughing at me. Throwing around terms like Mall crawler at me.:CWL:

Sponsored

OP
OP
ВџУМεΆј℮℮℗

ВџУМεΆј℮℮℗

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since this thread is more for noobs. I will add this. I washed the Jeep and sprayed doors trying to make them leak,there wasnt any issue. At 70+ mph following a semi i was able to see daylight inbetween the door and frame. It Only did that under ceratin conditions. CHANGED Hardtop to soft, it did seam to change the sealing .. the dollar did move a bit easier. But no light is able to be seen at 70 +mph unless certain conditions exist..... havent tried the leqk test yet.

Kfoo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As an update, I washed my jeep with the half doors and soft top on for the first time today. I use a pressure washer (a sunjoe) and targeted the seams to see how they performed.

All four uppers had some leaks. None of them were significant, just some minor pooling. At most, a one inch diameter. My guess is that the water probably got in through the zippers.

My impression on my 'tweaking' job is that I felt like I had a good seal on some of the uppers and a bit looser on the others. So in the end, I don't think it matters how tight you get it, you're likely going to have some minor leaking either way.

Mroliver927

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2021 Sahara Unlimited 4xe
Just went to the dealer today to order my half doors for my 21 JLUR
You can order half doors from your dealer? I thought that wasn't an option after purchase of your Jeep. Can you order them in the same color, stupid question but want to make sure.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ВџУМεΆј℮℮℗

ВџУМεΆј℮℮℗

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was just using a hose with an attachment.. I'm sure I didn't even throw a hundred PSI at it just what would be a good sideways rain. I'm going to start to research a random rattle I get sometimes it 70 + miles an hour under certain conditions. Either way I still love the half doors. To me this Jeep is still a Cadillac. It wasn't that long ago I was driving I'm thinking this was a 79 CJ7 . . And I had like. Doors on it driving around in the rain and snow having to wear a rain suit or gortex and gloves going to work. That's th when I lived in Delaware . it was a rust-bucket 304 . But she ran like a top . I miss the simplicity and low-end torque .
Jeep Wrangler JL Tweaking half doors for the perfect fit. FB_IMG_1624750544275

As an update, I washed my jeep with the half doors and soft top on for the first time today. I use a pressure washer (a sunjoe) and targeted the seams to see how they performed.

All four uppers had some leaks. None of them were significant, just some minor pooling. At most, a one inch diameter. My guess is that the water probably got in through the zippers.

My impression on my 'tweaking' job is that I felt like I had a good seal on some of the uppers and a bit looser on the others. So in the end, I don't think it matters how tight you get it, you're likely going to have some minor leaking either way.

Beebe Senior

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
You can order half doors from your dealer? I thought that wasn't an option after purchase of your Jeep. Can you order them in the same color, stupid question but want to make sure.
Well, I went in and asked, they said they would call me on Monday but that if it was an option in build and price, they can order it (even if they have to order it with a build and sell it to me) and yes in body color.

OP
OP
ВџУМεΆј℮℮℗

ВџУМεΆј℮℮℗

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So they will throw it on one of their Jeeps that they order as an option and sell you the doors separately?

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
They're orderable, but it's a challenge if the dealer isn't familiar. Lots of parts. No kits. There's a mopar parts online company that has a kits, and is a forum sponsor, I believe. You'll have to paint them on your own though.

Gfcronus

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Go cart.

I guess the only question I have is what is “clockwise” and what is “counterclockwise” given that the nut is upside down?
Sponsored