Sponsored

TurtleBack Expedition purchasing experience/review

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I’m creating this thread to share my experience with others, my purchase/ experience of a TurtleBack Expedition trailer. I purchased my trailer 4/20. I have posted in another thread on this same forum regarding my experience. Posting my experience in someone else’s thread seems like I might be high jacking his thread. Therefore I’m creating my own.
I do not recommend purchasing a TurtleBack product.
The only positive things I can say about the TB trailer I purchased, is the paint job is good and the the dust seals on the cargo boxes are good.

I Will follow with my experiences as time allows. Please search other threads to find my experiences and pics.

I apologize to anyone, who has purchased a TB trailer in the last year, for not sharing my experience sooner. I hope further sharing my experience will help explain my reasoning for this.
Sponsored

OP
OP
NCJL

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I narrowed my search down to three off-road trailer manufacturers. TB was my first choice because the similar look to a Adventure Horizon I had previously owned.
During my search for a new trailer, I noticed that a lot of manufacturers were using the Timbren set up. My final 3 choices all listed Timbren as the suspension set-up.
I called and talked to TB about my intended use for the trailer. I explained that pulling the trailer over the Rubicon was my end game. I was told that other customers had pulled TB Expeditions trailers over the Rubicon. I also stated that 37” tires was also my end game. TB told me that some customers were running 37” tires with slight modification. 35” tires would fit without modification. I also inquired about trailer weight. I explained that my search showed TB trailers were heavy. I was assured by TB that fully loaded/optioned trailers with Customer included cargogear was averaging 2700lbs with full tanks. The really heavy guys would be closer to 3000lbs.
We talked back and forth for a few days. Within a week the build and price was agreed. I had my bank overnight a check for the full amount to start the build.
I was basically getting every available option with the following exceptions:
I Would supply the tent. TB would install. Told this was common.
I wanted only the Timbren suspension not the upgraded ICON suspension.
I would supply, TB would install my JLUR Rubicon OEM wheels and tires. Told this was common. I would bring the wheels/tire combo when picking up the trailer.
I would supply and install the FridgeFreeze I currently owned.

The price was about 35K.
To be continued…

OP
OP
NCJL

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Pics of the first 5 days for reference.

570C9046-EDB0-4B98-B3D2-0029C8A1F98D.jpeg

2C9C2EB7-9768-4CF6-BA52-82B823AB4F09.jpeg

987BAA4C-6BC2-42F2-A61F-C3A3E32904D9.jpeg

E8C8A4BD-3CCD-4B06-8920-674EDD7D6A2E.jpeg

821DA486-B4B8-44D3-86E4-D1C8EC0D4361.jpeg

E81A0CC4-68E3-4F6D-87BC-203CE971FAAF.jpeg

6E28C116-416F-40ED-A69B-8965F5A9E516.jpeg

OP
OP
NCJL

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
The pick up was rushed do to COVID confusion.
The bullet points of the pick up:
Shocked by the use of wheel spacers. Told by TB assembly not to worry we do this all the time. We push 15 trailers a month out the door. We’ve only had 1 reported failure, a wheel flying off while in motion. The cause was the customer did not properly torque the wheel adapters. I was in Shock!!!
TB sales staff brought my attention to an improved tire carrier system. A locking mechanism had been recently added due to reported tire carriers opening while in motion. I was shocked again, however my first experience of Shock had not been gotten over yet.
The trailer was really tall and the stance quite narrow.
Hard to get a t-shirt.
We left to hotel to gather our thoughts and decide how to proceed.
We already paid full price to start the trailer build. My mistake.
We returned to TB before the return trip home to further express our concerns and document our disproval of the the trailer. We picked up the trailer around 6am Friday morning. We returned to a closed TB shop about 10am same morning. This was not a surprise. TB had explained that due to COVID they would be closing early. We started our return trip home camping once. My wife needed to return to work Monday am.
And so on….

Sponsored

OP
OP
NCJL

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Day 4 of ownership, Monday am. I removed driver side tire too notice tire rubbing on tire fender flare. Took pic forward to TB. A had recovered from the Shock by this time and formulated my response to the use of wheel spacers.
The first TB reply was the spacers needed to be increased from the TB installed 2” wheel spacers to 3”. I was again shocked!
My formulated reply to this still applied. I would only accept wheel spacers if certification from the wheel hub manufacturer was included showing the use of said wheel spacers was approved.
The next response was from the TB owner. He offered to upgrade my suspension to the TB ICON suspension eliminating the need the use of wheel spacers. I’ll I would need to do for this free upgrade was return to the TB shop 600 miles away at my cost.

TBC….

Last edited:
OP
OP
NCJL

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
……I replied back to the TB owner that new wheels and tires would need to be purchased. I had to explain why! I’m not going to keep pulling a trailer that has a tire rubbing issue.
The tires showed no signs of rubbing.
TB did not offer to help with the additional wheel/tire cost. They said I was getting a $2k upgrade for free. Shocked once again.

TB having all my money. Showing all signs that a legal type fight would be needed. I accepted the offer.

I bought new tires with wheels with 3.5” BS to return.

TBC….

71199419-76BA-4343-8E68-C87995FA8FB5.jpeg

D733FCC3-73D1-4926-8F00-ED6D54E257E0.jpeg

OP
OP
NCJL

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Day 1 thru 4 trailer measurements.
The Trailer height was +\-84”.
The trailer width was 72”.
The WMS was 60” plus the 2” wheel
spacers.
Trailer tire JLUR OEM stock 33”
Trailer was never loaded. About 1/2 tank of water no propane. Maybe a duffel of cloths
The JLUR as show for reference.
The Height was +\-76”.
AEV 2.5” lift.
AEV wheels.
35” tires.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NCJL

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Day 5 of ownership 4/14/20.
Installed new wheels and tires. Pic shown previous post. Tire size never changed.
Day 6 start return trip to TB for suspension replacement.
Day 7 4/16/20 TB replaced suspension with ICON. No TB apologies. Surprised it happened. Good luck. Suspension change out took less than an hour. This is when I realized they had a suspension frame system that was interchangeable to the trailer frame.
The ICON suspension raised the height of the trailer too about 85”. No extra width in regard to WMS was noticeable. Still not loaded.
Started the return trip home.
The change in suspension was definitely noticeable. The ICON was more active. Take more time to settle after hitting a bump.
We arrived home 4/18/20.

Pics with new set up.

212E3D16-DC7C-4964-BBB7-6D9BB643F56B.jpeg

0C7137E0-9C50-487E-917E-458CC5420771.jpeg

79FC64A6-FEEC-4181-A8B5-2B59A332A424.jpeg

OP
OP
NCJL

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
4/19 thru 4/28/20. I took this time to actually inspect the trailer. During this time I installed the FridgeFreeze with custom built slider. I also made a cargo area change above the water tank area to increase usable cargo space. Concerning discoveries were made during this time. The water tank TB installed was shifted to the passenger side, the same side the 6 gallon water heater was installed on. The water pump was installed using hard water piping with brass fittings. The water tank support system was not fully attached to the side frame of trailer in the upper frontal area. I also took this time to remove the tent rack to help with lowering the overall height trailer, lower the center of gravity. The tent was lowered and centered side to side. TB installed the tent Approximately 4” to the water heater side.
Removing the tent rack lowered the overall height by about 10”. Also reducing the weight by about 75lbs.
Pics.

Jeep Wrangler JL TurtleBack Expedition purchasing experience/review C2CC9E04-8CBB-4765-9B76-A85153041F2E

Jeep Wrangler JL TurtleBack Expedition purchasing experience/review 38A0BA6D-3461-461C-8DEF-B1ACCBD7F06E

Jeep Wrangler JL TurtleBack Expedition purchasing experience/review A86DABBE-525E-4532-9699-C846B6512349

Jeep Wrangler JL TurtleBack Expedition purchasing experience/review 3361DAA1-99D8-4054-A5EA-1787ED8A403B

Jeep Wrangler JL TurtleBack Expedition purchasing experience/review A214D3B4-51A7-45C9-A768-F0898F49A78D

Jeep Wrangler JL TurtleBack Expedition purchasing experience/review 567EE3ED-6249-45C6-BBAD-E93AC9C5AE88

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Yikes

OP
OP
NCJL

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
So did you get everything fixed?

How do you like that iKamper?
I have not fixed everything yet. The safety related issues for the most part have been fixed.
Stay tuned. I’ve only shared the first 3 weeks of ownership.
Cliffhanger! It gets way stupider!

The IKamper is awesome. The mattress could be better.
Preview pic of the current IKamper.

Jeep Wrangler JL TurtleBack Expedition purchasing experience/review 79E31316-B2F4-457A-896F-D8261C628544

Jeep Wrangler JL TurtleBack Expedition purchasing experience/review 1990DCBD-20D2-47A6-A8F1-76ACAF6A2B10

OP
OP
NCJL

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Still 4/19 thru 4/28. In retrospect. I did a lot of work to the trailer during this time frame. Also a lot of looking and inspection of the trailer. Items of concern that I also inspected do to my first 10 days of ownership where, the suspension system and tire carrier.
I confirmed my previous thoughts (Shock) with the tire carrier. The tire carrier system was attached to the trailer frame using stainless steel u bolts. The system did not provide a clamp type connection on the latch side. The latch side was allowed to float, shake, rattle and hum. The cane type lock position latch used when the tire carrier was in the open position, was weak. I mean really weak. Also allowing movement and floating. The mount of the cane pin type latch would twist with slight pressure. This new, verified discover only added the “Shock” that would become normal to my early experience with my TB trailer.
The previous may need to be reread to fully understand. Describing things in detail, using print is not my specialty.

The new ICON suspension system was also inspected. I noted items of concern, however further testing would be needed. I had not loaded my trailer yet. Done any test drives with a loaded trailer to properly evaluate.

During this time I also started the process of locating local, professional help with my Discoveries.

The changing of the area above water tank was something I had hoped was possible during the pre purchase process.
Relocation of the water pump was necessary. I would be changing the orientation of the water pump. I reviewed pump manufacturer installation instructions to verify this was possible. It was. I also learned that it was recommended to use only flexible hose with plastic adapter fittings when installing. This made sense, so I purchased the pump manufacturer kit for doing this.
The relocation of pump also required me to find additional/new fittings for the water piping retrofit. The search for new fittings alerted me to a possible new problem. The new fittings I was finding had stamps indicating “Not for use with Potable water systems”. This made me Think. I was not shocked by this, only alarmed. I formulated a question to ask TB regarding this information. Was the water system installed on my TB trailer Potable, including all fittings and accessories used to create the system? I have never received an answer to this question, either thru email or phone conversation. The only response has been, this is how we have done it.
With this information I decided to only reuse parts that I could confirm meet the for use in potable water systems. This required replacing a lot of parts.

TBC…

Last edited:
OP
OP
NCJL

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
…..continued.
For clarification: I’m not a Plumber. I have no professional experience with water. I do know water runs down hill and potable means drinkable.
I do not remember seeing anything at any time in regard to the water system being potable. Before, during or after purchase.
I do not know if the water system is required to be potable.
Other. more informed people (with water) than me have told me that non potable water must be labeled.

Once again I was Shocked!
Sponsored