Sponsored

Turning Tube (only) doors into trail doors?

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
So, I have a chance to pick up some Body Armor Trail doors from my buddy who sold his '16 JKUHR.

Has anyone ever modded doors like this to be these doors?

I'm thinking you could get a local marine upholstery shop to make door skins out of boat cover material to keep it water resistant, with either velcro or snaps, to make them removable, and then mod the frames to accept the Bestop door uppers.

these wouldn't be used as daily driver doors, but moreso for weekends when we are going wheeling, and the weather is a little sketchy, or for a longer weekend run, like driving from Upstate NY to Rausch Creek (4 hours) or a vacation (Upstate NY to either Maine or Cape Cod).

As always, if I've missed one of these threads- link me please.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Mikeb16

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
So, I have a chance to pick up some Body Armor Trail doors from my buddy who sold his '16 JKUHR.

Has anyone ever modded doors like this to be these doors?

I'm thinking you could get a local marine upholstery shop to make door skins out of boat cover material to keep it water resistant, with either velcro or snaps, to make them removable, and then mod the frames to accept the Bestop door uppers.

these wouldn't be used as daily driver doors, but moreso for weekends when we are going wheeling, and the weather is a little sketchy, or for a longer weekend run, like driving from Upstate NY to Rausch Creek (4 hours) or a vacation (Upstate NY to either Maine or Cape Cod).

As always, if I've missed one of these threads- link me please.

Thoughts?
I haven't seen anybody mod them other than the ones that are currently sold. Also I don't think doors for a JKU will fit a JLU, I know its been talked about but I don't think they fit 100% but I could be wrong. I ordered the Bestop element door enclosures and element doors, I received the enclosure kit but the doors are currently on backorder.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
my understanding the between the jk and the jl the doors are similar but not directly swapable, the strikers are in different spots and the dimensions are a little off that even with the latch re-positioned the body lines do not align well

besides re positioning the latch you are also going to have to extends the frame to match the body because the the tube doors do not even come close to the body to make a weather tight seal, plus the line for the top of the tube doors does not look to match the line for the bottom of the besttop uppers and thats not even considering that the overall height and positioning will work.

if you really want the fabric doors by the time you modify the jk tube doors to work and pay someone to wrap them in plastic you could of just gotten the bettop doors and be done with it

the besttop doors are built with like 1/4" rod and the idea is that tension of the the whole things keeps it sealed but at speed things can bow out a little creating gaps that people tend not to like

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
I will echo the sentiment about JL and JK doors not being interchangeable. The strikers are in a significantly different location in addition to other dimensional differences between the two.

Our Element doors with enclosures and uppers are a great option!

Lee
- the Bestop team
www.bestop.com

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
Thanks for the info everyone! Looks like the Bestop doors are going on my list!
Sponsored