Turning off 4cyl mode on the 392?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I always said I wanted to get the $7500 tax credit, because my 392 self identifies as a 4xe. It‘s pronouns are Ev/Phev…
I object to you plugging in with the 4xe Jeeps. Clearly you have a physical advantage from birth. It's not fair.
Sponsored

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Sure I wish that was the case. But we live in the coldest place in Colorado, probably North America. We only have about 60 days a year where we stay above freezing and we usually have 90 days a year where we don’t get above freezing and 30 days where we don’t get above 0. 2 winters ago we spent a few nights at -40° without wind chill.

I spent a few years north of monument. So know that area well. Bought my JKur from Perkins. Too crowded now had to move…
Not to be ornery, but while Grand County is surely one of, if not the coldest spots on average in Colorado, it is NOT the coldest in North America. Fraser used to be on the news all the time for it's cold temps. They did not like the reputation it brought. Daughter and Son in law lived in Granby for several years before locating to the Montrose area. Lived in Colorado my entire life and have definitely seen some cold days.

BTW, your 392 is a Unicorn. Your fuel economy is nuts. Best I can get is around 13-15mpg.
Of course 39"BFGs don't help.:LOL: Even when stock it was not close to yours. Kudos to you

Sam

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Not to be ornery, but while Grand County is surely one of, if not the coldest spots on average in Colorado, it is NOT the coldest in North America. Fraser used to be on the news all the time for it's cold temps. They did not like the reputation it brought. Daughter and Son in law lived in Granby for several years before locating to the Montrose area. Lived in Colorado my entire life and have definitely seen some cold days.

BTW, your 392 is a Unicorn. Your fuel economy is nuts. Best I can get is around 13-15mpg.
Of course 39"BFGs don't help.:LOL: Even when stock it was not close to yours. Kudos to you

Sam
Around Fraser is the coldest place in North America that has An official weather station.. Not that they didn’t like the reputation it brought they sold the right to be called that to a city that wanted it, for money…. Where I live is colder than Fraser by a measurable amount every day…. We have no official weather record and don’t want one or the publicity. Granby is not cold at all, kind of the banana location in the county…. snapped this last winter. That is the closest town to me.. not just a 1 time thing. 2 winters ago we went 25 days straight in negative numbers as a high…

Jeep Wrangler JL Turning off 4cyl mode on the 392? 8A4AB7C2-2320-4662-A385-393F3EC96346

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sting Gray 392, 2000 Supercharged WJ
Just going back to the original subject. I didn't notice anyone saying that the Off Road + button disables the annoying 4cyl mode. Gas mileage definitely suffers, but drivability is much more fun. I think it only functions like this on the Xtreme Recon package. That said, I'm pretty sure it must be possible to enable the anti-4cyl mode on the non-XR Jeeps.

Barney392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
Just going back to the original subject. I didn't notice anyone saying that the Off Road + button disables the annoying 4cyl mode. Gas mileage definitely suffers, but drivability is much more fun. I think it only functions like this on the Xtreme Recon package. That said, I'm pretty sure it must be possible to enable the anti-4cyl mode on the non-XR Jeeps.
The XR and lowly non-XR (like mine) work entirely the same in this situation, and in most other situations.

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
The XR and lowly non-XR (like mine) work entirely the same in this situation, and in most other situations.
???- the only way to disable 4-cyl on my lowly pre-XR is manual shift. Having heard reports of OR+ disabling on XR’s it was the first thing I checked after getting what Jeep called the “package re-flash” for 4.56’s & 35’s, Nope- Damn It - 😖 - yours does disable in OR+ ?, even more aggravating

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sting Gray 392, 2000 Supercharged WJ
I'm not positive, but I *think* the Jeep dealer needs to re-flash the computer with the XR sales code. If the PCM on these work the same way as other Stellantis electronics work, all it should take is a re-flash with the sales code. On my '17 Viper, I upgraded a ton of options myself, and then to activate them, I took it to the dealer and they entered the proper sales cade to enable them. I'm not sure about this, but my guess is that they didn't want to develop an entirely 392 specific PCM/BCM because of cost. The easy way to do it is to just add a sales code to the programming to unlock things.

Hopefully it is possible because I hate the 4cyl mode. I can feel the vibration through the steering wheel when it goes into that mode, and it sounds like a jake-brake is activated when going downhill.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I'm not positive, but I *think* the Jeep dealer needs to re-flash the computer with the XR sales code. If the PCM on these work the same way as other Stellantis electronics work, all it should take is a re-flash with the sales code. On my '17 Viper, I upgraded a ton of options myself, and then to activate them, I took it to the dealer and they entered the proper sales cade to enable them. I'm not sure about this, but my guess is that they didn't want to develop an entirely 392 specific PCM/BCM because of cost. The easy way to do it is to just add a sales code to the programming to unlock things.

Hopefully it is possible because I hate the 4cyl mode. I can feel the vibration through the steering wheel when it goes into that mode, and it sounds like a jake-brake is activated when going downhill.
As soon as up to cruising speed, even short distances in town, I tap it into manual shift and use until a stop or near stop then tap into drive. Repeat as needed to minimize 4-cyl. It has become automatic for me and when I forget the horrid sound reminds me.
Sponsored