Turned my JL off while in drive, now it wont start

ajbacku1

First Name
Alex Backus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I turned my Jeep off in my driveway while it was still in drive. It also wont shift to park. From what I've read on this forum it went into accessory mode all night and both batteries are dead. I'm currently getting no power at all, no dash lights or anything. I tried jumping it the old fashioned way and nothing. I took the main battery out and put it on a charger for like 4 hours and still nothing. Does anyone have any advice for how to jump it? The Jeep dealership said I need to tow it to them which I would like to avoid if possible.

If it matters it's a 2019 3.6L Automatic.

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, but I saw a previous post about this issue was posted in here a while back.
Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Alex,

Have you tried to charge the batter(ies) there are two, while in the Jeep? There is a smaller AUX battery hidden underneath the fuse module which is responsible for the starter process.

With everything connected normally, put the charger plus on the main battery plus and the charger minus on a good ground bolt somewhere nearby. They no longer recommend connecting to the battery minus in order to prevent any potential spark igniting possible battery fumes in case of a damaged battery.

Leave the charger plugged in for quite a while since both batteries (should be) connected in parallel. Only when there is sufficient charge on this hidden AUX battery will the starter engage properly.

My understanding is that the 2019 model year JL's we're revised to be able to still start with a discharged AUX battery as long as the Main had enough energy to engage the starter relay and crank the starter. However, I'm not certain when that firmware update was applied.

Either way, a trip to the dealer to evaluate your electrical system is probably a good idea, towed there or not.

Hope this helps. Hang in there, this isn't normal. Also, there are third party products such as the Genesis Dual Battery kit that is designed to prevent what just happened. Many people swear by it for the insurance of nearly eliminating the possibility of becoming stranded.

[Edited]
You may also need to manually release the Gear Shift lever. The vehicle may also not start unless it is in either neutral or park. The manual release is in the compartment just above the shifter lever. The pull cord release is hidden underneath a plastic cover.

Jay

Last edited:

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
If the aux is dead the JL will not start but since yours is a 2019 I believe the aux being dead does not affect the starting process thru a update in the software, as stated just in front of the shifter is a small plastic cover and once you pop it off there is a orange tab pull that allows you to put it into park.

If after you have done that and it still won’t start you may try jumping N1 to N2 at the PDC and remove the ESS negative off the main and then give the main battery a good charge and see how it goes.

I personally got tired of all the nonsense with the motorcycle battery and went with a Genesis upgrade running two full size Full River 750-25 batteries and my JL really likes the extra power, my charging system so far has not been taxed.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
It's not going to start if it's still in drive, I think there's release for the shifter to get it in park.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The rope puts it in neutral.
It's not going to start if it's still in drive, I think there's release for the shifter to get it in park.
Charge your batteries, put the ignition in Run, shift to park, then start. Chock the wheels in the meantime.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ajbacku1

First Name
Alex Backus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
After trying to jump it multiple times and using a trickle charger there were no dash lights turning on and it still wouldn't even attempt to turn over. But I have free roadside assistance so I had someone come out and he managed to get it started with a jumper pack. So I drove it into the dealer to have them check it out, and see if there was any damage to the batteries.
Thank you for the help.