Sponsored

Turn on rock lights temporarily when unlocking the doors?

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
@Mmorreale you tapped into the wrong wire, that’s what I did initially!
The are two lights in the footwell, in the same block, one is ambient lights (always on) and the other is the courtesy lights.
Just tap into the other wire, and all should be good.
Sponsored

Mmorreale

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara Altitude 3.0 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Retired (disabled) Firefighter
@Moregone I wired up some cheap lights to come on underneath as courtesy lights, as @RenegadeJeeper said, just run into the cabin and tap into (the correct) wire in the footwell lights, ask how I know that you can tap into the ambient lights instead of the courtesy lights!

One thing to keep in mind, if you want to have them be switched and courtesy lights, you will probably need to install a diode or two to stop back feed, see the Backup Lights thread (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/backup-lights.10763/) for details. There are several posts and diagrams where folks want to accomplish a similar things with reverse lights.
I tapped into the footwell lighting as well but for some reason at night the lights will not turn off. Did I tap into the wrong wire? Any solutions or suggestions?

C9083886-1A1C-4D6A-9470-E8B8C90E0C86.jpeg

CD69F1BB-CB03-41BF-BDA7-BDF9C2B79718.jpeg

719E6077-6446-43A3-BB75-63DE69194551.jpeg

Mmorreale

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The are two lights in the footwell, in the same block, one is ambient lights (always on) and the other is the courtesy lights.
Ok great. Thank you I will replay the info to my installer. BTW are the lights connected together?

Mmorreale

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Does that light have three wires? I see other people talking about their foot well lights having three wires. Thanks in advance for the information I’m just trying to figure out how to correct this. I am disabled and I’m not able to do it myself so I want all the information that I can relay to the installer. Thank you.

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@Mmorreale Yes, it does have three wires, a common ground and two live wires (+12v), one for the ambient light, and one for the courtesy lights.
You can use the two dials on the left hand side of the steering wheel to turn on/off the courtesy lights, and the other dims the ambient lights, this will let you test out which is the correct wire.
Below is a pic that someone else uploaded, and if I remember correctly, my live wires are the other way around!
Jeep Wrangler JL Turn on rock lights temporarily when unlocking the doors? Footwell-wires

Sponsored

Mmorreale

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@Mmorreale Yes, it does have three wires, a common ground and two live wires (+12v), one for the ambient light, and one for the courtesy lights.
You can use the two dials on the left hand side of the steering wheel to turn on/off the courtesy lights, and the other dims the ambient lights, this will let you test out which is the correct wire.
Below is a pic that someone else uploaded, and if I remember correctly, my live wires are the other way around!
Jeep Wrangler JL Turn on rock lights temporarily when unlocking the doors? Footwell-wires
Great. Thank you!

OP
OP
Moregone

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
OP here

Well I eventually got around to installing some rock lights about two weeks back and then tonight got around to connecting it up to the courtesy lights with a diode. I went with Sunpie RGBW rock lights because I wanted true white.

Ive encountered an issue with the lights when activated by the courtesy lights. Just before the lights start to dim to off, they turn green. When I unlock they come on green and then after a second turn white. They don't always turn white when coming on. Sometimes they stay green and turn off green.

If I turn them on by the Aux switch when green they will turn white. I've noticed when they've turned green on me I am not able to control the color with the remote.

This makes me think they're getting inadequate power from the courtesy light. I used the yellow wire of the three from the picture above.

I will figure out a relay and see if that remedies my problem. I'm guessing with the relay I may lose the dimming effect.

Anyone else ever experienced this?

I'm pretty sure I got the correct wire (yellow), if I did the other wire they would act differently right?

Thanks

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I will figure out a relay and see if that remedies my problem. I'm guessing with the relay I may lose the dimming effect.
I would agree with you, but have no first hand experience to back this up :)
I think that you maybe able to achieve some form of dimming effect using capacitors, maybe someone on here has more electronics experience than me!
  • Example:

As for turning green, 🤷‍♂️, it sounds like you are going down a good path in terms of providing constant voltage, particularly as all is good with the Aux Switch

OP
OP
Moregone

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I would agree with you, but have no first hand experience to back this up :)
I think that you maybe able to achieve some form of dimming effect using capacitors, maybe someone on here has more electronics experience than me!
  • Example:

As for turning green, 🤷‍♂️, it sounds like you are going down a good path in terms of providing constant voltage, particularly as all is good with the Aux Switch
The last time I messed with capacitors I got stuck in the wrong year.. .. Wait different story 😂

If the relay gets it working without the dim I'll be happy with out any additional steps.

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
We can bring you back....
Jeep Wrangler JL Turn on rock lights temporarily when unlocking the doors? 1605796848279

Sponsored

Marco1217

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Thank you for the links.
Headlights, Tail Lights, Fender Lights, Backup Camera Lights, all installed, good to go.
The backup light thread assisted both my tail light and reverse light install.
I think my explanation was a very pisspoor attempt to explain my intentions.
Believe me, I have relentlessly searched here, web, etc, trying to figure this out on my own.
What I am hoping to accomplish:
KeyFob - Unlock - lights come on, follow the same behavior as interior footwell/dome light. (I plan to leave all 4 Rocklights the same color, for daily activities, white or purple, or let me daughter pick a solid color)
Engine off - door open, lights come on.
Lights off when KeyFob lock is selected.

My thoughts were also:
RockLights Bluetooth Module
Module + into Splitter
Module - to chassis, grounding bolt, or battery.
Splitter 1 - diode - Footwell
Splitter 2 - diode - Battery

Now, let's say my daughter takes the Jeep to the lake, and they are listening to music. She wants to mess around with the lights, and opens the App to control the colors and whatnot. By using the power button on the App, the lights come on without the need to turn over the Jeep, along with leaving the dome lights on.
With the setup above, will this work?

It's pretty obvious I have no idea what I am talking about, but I am trying to learn.
It's also hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
I do appreciate the help, and I apologize for stupid questions.
Jeep Wrangler JL Turn on rock lights temporarily when unlocking the doors? 1605796848279

Thanks, again.
@ToPar9 I wanted to check and see what the final verdict was on your install. I have almost the exact scenario as you (except this is for a 2012 F150). I have Rock lights installed but I want to be able add a rocker switch for ad-hoc use of turning on/off the Rock lights and also tap into the courtesy light feed so lights can be powered on by keyfob or anytime courtesy lights are on. Any help or guidance on what type of switch and additional products, and wiring diagram you used would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Marco

COHiker

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Can confirm, my 2019 JLUR is also courtesy on the yellow and ambient on the green and white. Installed rock lights and tapped the white and green to trigger the relay and the lights work on the door lock unlock etc, but stay on when driving if ambient is on. Could be a nice shortcut though if you didn't want to use the aux switches or a different switch. Can turn them off using the ambient dial on the drivers left side. So not the end of the world but not what I was going for.

gpoverland

First Name
Devon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I'm considering rock lights for some ambient light around camp. One thing that would really make me want them is if they would turn on temporarily as a courtesy light when unlocking the doors.

Is there any power source that could be tapped to provide temporary power when unlocking?

Thanks
Hi @Moregone .. i posted something a while back on how I wired up some rock rails on my old jeep. Complete with instructions.. thought it might help. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/roam-rock-rails-w-lights-wiring.25675/

aham23

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
what is the best way to splice into that courtesy wire in the footwell. the space is tight and not a lot of slack in those wires. much thanks.

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase