Turn off all lights? An IR lighting question

nismo1013

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 392 AEV370
I am looking for a solution to turn off all interior and exterior lights (including halo) while the Jeep is running and in drive. I have some IR lights but need to eliminate visible lights so the IR doesn’t get washed out. If I'm reading through the forum comments correctly, it appears the Tazer JL mini has the ability to do this but only when parked. Any solutions for while the Jeep is in drive?
Sponsored

brennaman

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 WK 2014 JK, 2021 JLR snazzberry
Occupation
damn near retired
I am looking for a solution to turn off all interior and exterior lights (including halo) while the Jeep is running and in drive. I have some IR lights but need to eliminate visible lights so the IR doesn’t get washed out. If I'm reading through the forum comments correctly, it appears the Tazer JL mini has the ability to do this but only when parked. Any solutions for while the Jeep is in drive?
Oh, sounds like you are getting into some cool stuff. Care to indulge? I just bought a PVS-14, (taliban is selling them cheap these day's) and just curious if you are doing something fun. But sorry, not sure how to get rid of all the lights while moving other than pulling them out.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
This might help. In the JL fuse box:
F20 30A Pink = CBC 1-Interior Lights
F26 40A Green = CBC 2-Exterior Lights #1
F29 40A Green = CBC 2-Exterior Lights #2

I'm not sure if it will take out something you need besides lights or if the ECM will adamantly complain, but it might be worth seeing what happens if you pull those fuses. If they do take out what you want maybe you can find a way to put a relay on them connected to an Aux switch?

Jeep Wrangler JL Turn off all lights? An IR lighting question 1631736827578

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Would this get you close enough? Turn off the radio, full dimming dash, turning off halos and DRLs with Tazer.

Sponsored

OP
OP
nismo1013

nismo1013

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 392 AEV370
Oh, sounds like you are getting into some cool stuff. Care to indulge? I just bought a PVS-14, (taliban is selling them cheap these day's) and just curious if you are doing something fun. But sorry, not sure how to get rid of all the lights while moving other than pulling them out.
These hogs won’t take care of themselves!

OP
OP
nismo1013

nismo1013

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 392 AEV370
This might help. In the JL fuse box:
F20 30A Pink = CBC 1-Interior Lights
F26 40A Green = CBC 2-Exterior Lights #1
F29 40A Green = CBC 2-Exterior Lights #2

I'm not sure if it will take out something you need besides lights or if the ECM will adamantly complain, but it might be worth seeing what happens if you pull those fuses. If they do take out what you want maybe you can find a way to put a relay on them connected to an Aux switch?

Jeep Wrangler JL Turn off all lights? An IR lighting question 057c5e3e-0faa-4b9c-8419-76fa97485d61_text
Thanks- this is helpful. I will give it a try and report back with results.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Install normally closed relays in the light wiring. Trigger relays with a switch in the cab. Have done this on past vehicles. Sometimes you want to go dark.

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
I texted with someone at Z auto about this before I bought my Tazer Mini which has the dark mode automatically shut off >5mph. He told me that he would send me custom software to change that limit, which is why i bought it. Then he went dark. Kinda frustrating.

my buddy and i are each running PVS1531 goggles from L3, with our girlfriends running L3 PVS14 with unfilmed white tubea. We love driving at night. I have two low power IR light cubes wires to Aux 4 and the higher 850nm 10” bar wired to Aux 3 for open road driving.

for now, i could the dash lights with foam. If my buddy is behind me, i have foam that covers my brake lights so i dont wash out his goggles when he is in his Jeep. Sucks Z Auto went dark.

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
I texted with someone at Z auto about this before I bought my Tazer Mini which has the dark mode automatically shut off >5mph. He told me that he would send me custom software to change that limit, which is why i bought it. Then he went dark. Kinda frustrating.

my buddy and i are each running PVS1531 goggles from L3, with our girlfriends running L3 PVS14 with unfilmed white tubea. We love driving at night. I have two low power IR light cubes wires to Aux 4 and the higher 850nm 10” bar wired to Aux 3 for open road driving.

for now, i could the dash lights with foam. If my buddy is behind me, i have foam that covers my brake lights so i dont wash out his goggles when he is in his Jeep. Sucks Z Auto went dark.
This past summer I got pulled out of a water/mud crossing by a couple guys running dark with some very expensive night vision goggles.

Wharton state forest in NJ, was this you? Or is this a somewhat common thing to do?

Sponsored

tehfrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4XE 20th
I live on the opposite end of the country but I do it too. And have the same issues.

FreedomFur

First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
This past summer I got pulled out of a water/mud crossing by a couple guys running dark with some very expensive night vision goggles.

Wharton state forest in NJ, was this you? Or is this a somewhat common thing to do?
That's pretty badass! Unfortunately not me, I am up in NH. I can't think of anyone I know in NJ but I do know some guys in MD, will have to ask if they were in that area.

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
That's pretty badass! Unfortunately not me, I am up in NH. I can't think of anyone I know in NJ but I do know some guys in MD, will have to ask if they were in that area.
Yeah I got their number at 9pm, we got stuck at 1am, they were about 45 minutes away on their way home, they turned around and came and winched me out. Had a tacoma and something else. Had their tailights covered in tape.

They let me look through the goggles and didn’t tell me anything about them, with only minor knowledge of night vision I immediately knew they were some legit goggles. That was super cool, wish I had more time to soak it in.
Sponsored