Sponsored

Turn headlights off = Blinded by instrument panel??

Guy N Cognito

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi 2.0t
hope all you auto-lights people are diligent about manually/actively turning lights ON when raining or when visibility is challenging but not yet dark enough for the sensors to activate lights.
On my Rubi, the headlights come on automatically when the wipers are engaged...

My JKU was the same way...

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
The wipers have to be on for like a full cycle of slow, like 6 or 8 seconds, then the headlights will come on.

obiwankabaldi

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Does everyone's JL do this?
I am a hunter and the first thing I do when I pull into my parking spot in the "early" AM is turn off my lights....BAM! the dash lights up like you are saying. So goes any chance at getting a head start to night vision.....If anyone figures how to override that, PLEASE PLEASE let us know.....Thanks.

obiwankabaldi

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
FYI if you d turn off the radio the uconnect screen goes off and that helps some with that crazy bright light up.....

Sponsored

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Is there a setting to change the dash lights color? In my Mustang, I changed all my light settings to red to preserve my night vision. It's also normal for every car's cluster to go brighter when the headlights are off, because headlights off = day time = brighter gauges so you can see during the day time and vice versa for night

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
I spoke with Joe at Zautomotive Sounds like he is eventually going to add the capability to dim the dash to the TazerJL.
Have you heard any update on this, or figured out how to stop them from blinding you when turning off the lights? Trying to figure this out still... Thanks!!

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
Have you heard any update on this, or figured out how to stop them from blinding you when turning off the lights? Trying to figure this out still... Thanks!!
I know this is an old thread, but I just picked up my new 2021 Rubicon, and was hoping that somebody had found an answer to this problem.

The instrument panel goes to full brightness when the headlights are turned off, either with the engine running or in the ACC position.

When parking at night, especially when off-roading or camping in the woods at night, the instrument panel is blinding when the headlights are turned off, either in ACC or RUN position.

If you want to listen to the radio at night with the headlights off, the full bright instrument panel ruins your night vision.

Anybody find a solution?

Mr.JS

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL Unlimited
I've had my new JLUR for a couple days now and I'm starting to figure things out. One thing I can't figure out is the instrument panel dimming. I like to keep my interior lighting dim for better night vision. So I set the instrument panel dimmer to as dim as it will go, both screens and lights dim to nice and dark. Then I stop driving and turn the headlight switch to O (off) and the instrument panel lights, screen and Uconnect 8.4 screen changes to full 100% brightness!? It is BLINDING and EXTREMELY annoying! The dimmer switch has no affect on the instrument panel lights/screen when the headlight switch is off..:angry: Is this how it's supposed to work??

I did find that I can dim the 8.4 screen under the display settings. But that only changes the 8.4 screen, the instrument panel lights and screen remain at 100% brightness.. I just want the dimmer switch to work when the headlight switch is turned to the O (off) position.

If this is considered normal, can the TazerJL change this idiotic setup?
Yep, my jeep does the same thing. It's awful!
Does everyone's JL do this?
My 2020 Wrangler does this. It's awful! When you turn off the lights it basically ignores the light sensor 🤬

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I know this is an old thread, but I just picked up my new 2021 Rubicon, and was hoping that somebody had found an answer to this problem.

The instrument panel goes to full brightness when the headlights are turned off, either with the engine running or in the ACC position.

When parking at night, especially when off-roading or camping in the woods at night, the instrument panel is blinding when the headlights are turned off, either in ACC or RUN position.

If you want to listen to the radio at night with the headlights off, the full bright instrument panel ruins your night vision.

Anybody find a solution?
Have you tried turning only the parking lamps on?

Sponsored

jc_clark

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Definitely interested if there is a solution out there...

For me, having the parking lights (or any exterior lights) on is not desirable.

Mabar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2-Door
Definitely interested if there is a solution out there...

For me, having the parking lights (or any exterior lights) on is not desirable.
Agree