zzman930

zzman930

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I just found this from turbosmart https://www.turbosmart.com/news/five-facts-about-wastegates-that-are-wrong/

The sound of turbo flutter, or compressor surge, is sometimes referred to as ā€˜wastegate chatterā€™ ā€“ but this noise has nothing to do with the wastegate. Compressor surge, as the name suggests, occurs on the compressor side of the turbocharger, where outside air is drawn in and compressed for the engine to consume. A wastegate is used on the turbine side, where exhaust gasses are used to spin the turbine wheel to operate the compressor. That fluttering sound, which typically occurs when the throttle is suddenly closed, is the sound of the turbo trying to push air into the engine but failing, so the compressor blades ā€˜chopā€™ through the air. You can read more about this phenomenon here.
I donā€™t think itā€™s turbo flutter. That usually happens instantly after letting go of the gas and it sounds a little different

JROOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
I donā€™t think itā€™s turbo flutter. That usually happens instantly after letting go of the gas and it sounds a little different
Ok no one ever confused me as a mechanic ;)

OP
OP
zzman930

zzman930

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Ok no one ever confused me as a mechanic ;)
Iā€™m not either haha it was a great guess that I havenā€™t thought of before but I just started watching a ton of videos of turbo flutter to see what it sounded like

Katej1213

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Occupation
Paralegal
Well I went to a different dealership for a second opinion, and was told again that the noise was completely normal - but this time was told that the sound is related to the differential; BUT, there is a cover that is made to muffle the noise, and it was missing... which is why I was hearing it! So they replaced it yesterday, and I have not heard the noise since. I will update if I begin hearing it again. Iā€™ve also included the notes that I got back from the dealership.

678DC063-0E3F-4309-A34C-390C63C329EA.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
zzman930

zzman930

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Well I went to a different dealership for a second opinion, and was told again that the noise was completely normal - but this time was told that the sound is related to the differential; BUT, there is a cover that is made to muffle the noise, and it was missing... which is why I was hearing it! So they replaced it yesterday, and I have not heard the noise since. I will update if I begin hearing it again. Iā€™ve also included the notes that I got back from the dealership.

Really?! Something so small and so simple ā€ā™‚

JROOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0
Vehicle Showcase

Iā€™m printing this and taking to my dealer, many thanks. And Iā€™m happy this is a non issue for you.

Did they show you the grommet and if so if you wouldnā€™t mind taking a pic.

Katej1213

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Occupation
Paralegal
Really?! Something so small and so simple ā€ā™‚
I know! I couldnā€™t believe it, but at least I now feel confident that the noise is actually normal (and wonā€™t cause future damage to my car), and there was a real solution! He was really surprised that the grommet had fallen off, but I have no idea how it happened. If others end up having the same issue, it couldā€™ve just been a manufactured defect or something.

Iā€™m printing this and taking to my dealer, many thanks. And Iā€™m happy this is a non issue for you.

Did they show you the grommet and if so if you wouldnā€™t mind taking a pic.
I hope that it works out! Definitely update when you find out the issue. They did not show me the grommet or really explain what the ticking noise is... he just said that the tick noise is related to the differential and that the grommet was missing that was part of the cover that muffled the noise. I drove it around yesterday though with the windows down and top off and didnā€™t hear the noise. Good luck, and I hope your issue is the same!

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
Reviving an old thread because I took my Jeep in specifically to look at this issue the other day. The mechanic at the shop went for a ride with me and I was able to replicate the sound. As soon as he heard it he thought of the wastegate. @Katej1213 has the noise returned after the diff cover was replaced? Has anyone else had any luck with their shop or are people just living with it?

Katej1213

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Occupation
Paralegal
Reviving an old thread because I took my Jeep in specifically to look at this issue the other day. The mechanic at the shop went for a ride with me and I was able to replicate the sound. As soon as he heard it he thought of the wastegate. @Katej1213 has the noise returned after the diff cover was replaced? Has anyone else had any luck with their shop or are people just living with it?
I still can't hear any noises inside the Jeep anymore after putting the cover back on; however, when I take my doors off, I can still hear the clicking/ticking noise. I have just been living with it, since I already took it in twice and didn't really get any assistance. Please let me know if you find anything else out!

Sponsored

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I still can't hear any noises inside the Jeep anymore after putting the cover back on; however, when I take my doors off, I can still hear the clicking/ticking noise. I have just been living with it, since I already took it in twice and didn't really get any assistance. Please let me know if you find anything else out!
I can't hear the noise inside my jeep either or with the doors on, really. Without the doors though, I can hear it. I am going back to the dealership in a few weeks and I will touch base with them again. I'll keep you posted if I learn anything new.

Katej1213

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Occupation
Paralegal
I can't hear the noise inside my jeep either or with the doors on, really. Without the doors though, I can hear it. I am going back to the dealership in a few weeks and I will touch base with them again. I'll keep you posted if I learn anything new.
Yeah, same problem as me. I am trying to decide if I want to keep the jeep and take my chances long term or trade it in for something else. Lol. Please keep me posted on what you find out!

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am wondering if a blow off valve will improve this. Anyone have any idea? If so, I will be really happy because it's a pretty easy and inexpensive fix.

thadude

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport - 2D Mojito
Came here because i have been hearing this noise for a long time. I mostly hear it reverberating off of cars/walls when I have my windows down. I have not done anything about it, but wanted to see if it is just something I should continue to live with.

31R

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Same, I guess I've gotten use to it.
Sponsored