Sponsored

Turbo rattle?

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Ok, so if it is indeed the "turbo", it would have grenaded a long time ago. No turbo should ever rattle until just before bad things happen.

If its the wastgate, I wouldnt in the slightest be worried about it. I havent checked, but I assume its an internal wastegate turbo. Which in that case the wastegate is a small steel flap that opens and closes against cast iron or steel. This could very easily be a rattle noise.

Like someone else had mentioned fuel injectors, especially very high psi injectors such as what we have on the 2.0, are pretty loud. But coming down in rpm like you are, that high psi fuel has to go somewhere, because its not going to the injectors when you are off throttle. So the common rail may be making some noise too.

Lastly, this engine probably has 1/2 mile of timing chain in it. Along with tensioners, cam phasers, etc etc. On many different vehicles made today with these elaborate camshaft and timing chain designs like this, there is noise. Ford, GM, etc, all have these noises.

But in return for all the louder engines, we get better HP, MPG, and hopefully better reliability.
Sponsored

rogo66

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Let us know if you notice anything. It's not as noticeable to me when the top, doors, and radio are on... kind of just a faint clicking/rattling noise... it's much more noticeable when I take the doors off (even with the radio on).
Checked it on my way home from work. The top was down, but the doors were on. Every time I decelerated and the rpms reached 1400 down to 1200 I listened for any clicking/rattling sound. I didn't hear anything like you're describing. I even stuck my head out the window a couple of times.

Katej1213

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Occupation
Paralegal
Just FYI I have the exact noise at low rpm. I assumed it was normal but now reading this thread I'm curious why not all the 2.0 owners replying to this thread hear it the same.

If it's the wastegate as someone suggested, I would think that means a defect. Does our 2.0's have a defect...now I'm concerned.
It seems like most people hear it at the lower RPMs. When did you buy yours? I don't know if it's a defect or not, but since my dealership said that it's a normal characteristic, I don't think there's much else I can do at this point since it's not throwing a CEL or driving weird... they don't have anything to fix if it's supposedly normal. Let me know if you end up taking yours in and what your service department says.

Ok, so if it is indeed the "turbo", it would have grenaded a long time ago. No turbo should ever rattle until just before bad things happen.

If its the wastgate, I wouldnt in the slightest be worried about it. I havent checked, but I assume its an internal wastegate turbo. Which in that case the wastegate is a small steel flap that opens and closes against cast iron or steel. This could very easily be a rattle noise.

Like someone else had mentioned fuel injectors, especially very high psi injectors such as what we have on the 2.0, are pretty loud. But coming down in rpm like you are, that high psi fuel has to go somewhere, because its not going to the injectors when you are off throttle. So the common rail may be making some noise too.

Lastly, this engine probably has 1/2 mile of timing chain in it. Along with tensioners, cam phasers, etc etc. On many different vehicles made today with these elaborate camshaft and timing chain designs like this, there is noise. Ford, GM, etc, all have these noises.

But in return for all the louder engines, we get better HP, MPG, and hopefully better reliability.
So do you think it's something that needs to try to be addressed? You seem to bring up some good points as to "normal" ticking sounds that could be happening to the JLs. I'm just not sure what else I can do for now, since no one else on here other than @zzman930 has taken his in for service. All my service advisor told me is that it was "turbo noise" and that it was normal and that there wasn't anything they could do to fix it. He said if a light came on or if I got any other weird signs to bring it back in. I have a pretty good service department, so I don't think they were just being lazy... and as far as driveability, my Jeep seems fine.

Checked it on my way home from work. The top was down, but the doors were on. Every time I decelerated and the rpms reached 1400 down to 1200 I listened for any clicking/rattling sound. I didn't hear anything like you're describing. I even stuck my head out the window a couple of times.
I'm glad you're not having any issues. When did you buy yours? How many miles are on it? Just trying to see if there are any common factors between all of us. Keep an ear out, and let us know if it changes... mine didn't rattle/tick when I first got it for probably the first couple months (or I at least didn't notice it because it was colder outside so the windows were always up/the top on), but I can definitely hear it with the windows down/doors off.

Last edited:

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
It seems like most people hear it at the lower RPMs. When did you buy yours? I don't know if it's a defect or not, but since my dealership said that it's a normal characteristic, I don't think there's much else I can do at this point since it's not throwing a CEL or driving weird... they don't have anything to fix if it's supposedly normal. Let me know if you end up taking yours in and what your service department says.

So do you think it's something that needs to try to be addressed? You seem to bring up some good points as to "normal" ticking sounds that could be happening to the JLs. I'm just not sure what else I can do for now, since no one else on here other than @zzman930 has taken his in for service. All my service advisor told me is that it was "turbo noise" and that it was normal and that there wasn't anything they could do to fix it. He said if a light came on or if I got any other weird signs to bring it back in. I have a pretty good service department, so I don't think they were just being lazy... and as far as driveability, my Jeep seems fine.

I'm glad you're not having any issues. When did you buy yours? How many miles are on it? Just trying to see if there are any common factors between all of us. Keep an ear out, and let us know if it changes... mine did rattle/tick when I first got it for probably the first couple months (or I at least didn't notice it because it was cold so the windows were always up/the top on), but I can definitely hear it with the windows down/doors off.
Well since I havent heard your Jeep and its sound, I cannot say if it needs to be addressed or not. But your dealer seems to think its a non issue. Not that I trust dealer sales or service departments, but I wouldnt worry about it.

Like I said before, modern engines make alot more noises than they did just a few years ago. Thats also why OEMs have taken steps to mask this noise. Better sound insulation, noise cancelling, etc. But Wranglers will probably never be as sound proof as 95% of other vehicles.

If it truly is a defect that is causing this sound, you will find out sooner or later. If the noise doesnt change over the course of 5K miles, you have nothing to worry about.

Katej1213

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Occupation
Paralegal
Well since I havent heard your Jeep and its sound, I cannot say if it needs to be addressed or not. But your dealer seems to think its a non issue. Not that I trust dealer sales or service departments, but I wouldnt worry about it.

Like I said before, modern engines make alot more noises than they did just a few years ago. Thats also why OEMs have taken steps to mask this noise. Better sound insulation, noise cancelling, etc. But Wranglers will probably never be as sound proof as 95% of other vehicles.

If it truly is a defect that is causing this sound, you will find out sooner or later. If the noise doesnt change over the course of 5K miles, you have nothing to worry about.
Mine has been doing it for months now, it's just more noticeable when the top/doors are off which is what has made me think about it/notice it more lately with the nice weather. I'm going to keep monitoring it, and if something new starts I'll take it back in. Thanks so much for your input!

Sponsored

JROOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
Ok driving the Jeep around today I’ll clarify my “rattle”. It is most common at low rpm just after cold start. After a mile down the road the noise seems to mostly go away and I have to really try to hear it.

During my next routine maintenance I’ll ask their opinion and update in the future.

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Ok driving the Jeep around today I’ll clarify my “rattle”. It is most common at low rpm just after cold start. After a mile down the road the noise seems to mostly go away and I have to really try to hear it.

During my next routine maintenance I’ll ask their opinion and update in the future.
My bet is the Direct Injection that I are hearing.

Katej1213

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Occupation
Paralegal

I think most people that are having the rattle/tick issue notice it at lower RPMs for sure. Please update when you visit your service department and give us the feedback you get.

If you can, record the sound so we can hear it.
I tried recording it over the weekend, but you couldn't really hear it over the wind noise because my doors were off. The OP said before that he was going to try to record his as well. Did you ever get a recording @zzman930?

My bet is the Direct Injection that I are hearing.
I think you're right. This would make sense why the service department called it "normal turbo noise" and that there's nothing to do to fix it... plus no one is getting a CEL or anything weird. Isn't it weird that not everyone hears the noise though?

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue

This sounds like cam phasers or chain tensioners. Not alot you can do about it.
If it were mine and it annoyed me, I would experiment around with different oil weights.

I am not recommending you do this unless you have thoroughly researched, and understand how these things operate.

BTW what is happening is the oil takes a min or so to get up to whatever is making the noise. Thats why it goes away. Try letting it idle for 2 mins before you take off from a cold start.

Sponsored

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
I think most people that are having the rattle/tick issue notice it at lower RPMs for sure. Please update when you visit your service department and give us the feedback you get.

I tried recording it over the weekend, but you couldn't really hear it over the wind noise because my doors were off. The OP said before that he was going to try to record his as well. Did you ever get a recording @zzman930?

I think you're right. This would make sense why the service department called it "normal turbo noise" and that there's nothing to do to fix it... plus no one is getting a CEL or anything weird. Isn't it weird that not everyone hears the noise though?
While parked and in park, gently rev the engine up to 2500rpm. Let off the throttle and listen for your rattle.
BTW do this after engine is fully warmed and you've driven it.

Katej1213

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Occupation
Paralegal
While parked and in park, gently rev the engine up to 2500rpm. Let off the throttle and listen for your rattle.
BTW do this after engine is fully warmed and you've driven it.
So I drove it to work this morning (about a 20 mile commute one way) and did what you suggested, and I didn’t seem to really hear a rattle when I was in park and revving the engine to 2500 RPMs. I tried to upload the video of what it sounds like parked and it wouldn’t let me for some reason, so...idk what to do about that...

Katej1213

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Occupation
Paralegal
If you can, record the sound so we can hear it.
I have a couple videos where you can faintly hear the rattle/tick noise. The videos are kind of long, but you can hear the noise intermittently throughout.

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
So I drove it to work this morning (about a 20 mile commute one way) and did what you suggested, and I didn’t seem to really hear a rattle when I was in park and revving the engine to 2500 RPMs. I tried to upload the video of what it sounds like parked and it wouldn’t let me for some reason, so...idk what to do about that...
I listened to your vid. Pretty hard to hear anything Im on a laptop. So with that said, I really dont think you have anything to worry about. If it gets significantly louder, take it in. But I would try to ignore it, or turn the radio up.

Katej1213

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Occupation
Paralegal
I listened to your vid. Pretty hard to hear anything Im on a laptop. So with that said, I really dont think you have anything to worry about. If it gets significantly louder, take it in. But I would try to ignore it, or turn the radio up.
Yep, it's kind of hard to hear with wind noise and everything... but it is easier to hear with a speaker up to your ear via phone (and much more in person). For now I'm just not going to worry because I took it in to the dealership to get it checked, it could be a ton of simple things that cause no harm (and the dealership said it was normal), and I have a lifetime powertrain warranty anyway. I really appreciate everyone's feedback on this page though! It's my first Jeep, so I really enjoy having a knowledgeable group of people to go to.
Sponsored