Turbo rattle?

Dudley Dawson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
All - I posted a “poll” thread here in the 2.0 sub-forum regarding the turbo “clicking/rattling” sound. Just curious to see how many folks on here experiencing same issue. Very non-scientific...but I have a hypothesis.

Anyway - my Jeep is currently at a second dealership. So far not getting good vibes (already said they couldn’t replicate sound - will try again in morning when “cold started”). I’m still hopeful, but starting to see the writing on the wall...
Sponsored

Dudley Dawson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Update: dealership called me this afternoon, advised that they heard the noise after another test drive. I was very happy (and surprised) to learn that they had already ordered and received a new turbo (same day) and started the repair. They provided me with a Jeep GC loaner to keep until repairs are complete.

Huehue80

First Name
Cohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Update: dealership called me this afternoon, advised that they heard the noise after another test drive. I was very happy (and surprised) to learn that they had already ordered and received a new turbo (same day) and started the repair. They provided me with a Jeep GC loaner to keep until repairs are complete.
That is awesome. I’m glad they finally are fixing it.

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
Glad to hear. Please provide your service sheet if you could once it’s completed.

thetooke

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Owner & Operator of Stage 2 Entertainment Equipment, LLC
Has anyone identified the source of the rattle or is it all just hypothetical? I got to page three and listened to the videos and it sounds exactly like what was going on with mine.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rattle-from-exterior-trim-piece-below-a-pillar.71560/
Loose waste gate, I posted a video here that showing the mechanic playing with the faulty part. Looks like you live in the Dallas area? If you are experiencing this issue, call the Grapevine Jeep service center and talk to Bryan and set up an appointment. He helped me through my issue.

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Loose waste gate, I posted a video here that showing the mechanic playing with the faulty part. Looks like you live in the Dallas area? If you are experiencing this issue, call the Grapevine Jeep service center and talk to Bryan and set up an appointment. He helped me through my issue.
*knocking on wood*
Actually I haven’t. I just wanted to throw that out there in case somebody was assuming their rattle was from the turbo. I thought mine was originally coming from my trackbar. Will keep the tip about Grapevine Jeep in my back pocket though. ;)

Dudley Dawson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Update: turbo replaced and the loud rattle/clicking on deceleration is finally gone. What a difference. At least in my case, they think the culprit was the linkage, and the only way to fix it was to replace whole turbo assembly.

Below is a pic of my service ticket.

Thanks to everyone here for your help.

David

2EBA5311-297E-41D6-97DF-7BCD76BD0F9F.jpeg

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
So is the turbo linkage the video I posted a few posts back?

SteveA

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
I took my brand new 2021 in for the same reason, after reading through this whole thread. I mentioned the waste gate and this thread, but they are pushing back saying that it's the balance shaft, which is nonsense. My Jeep has less than 1,000 miles on it. @JeepCares, can I get some help with this? Thanks!

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I took my brand new 2021 in for the same reason, after reading through this whole thread. I mentioned the waste gate and this thread, but they are pushing back saying that it's the balance shaft, which is nonsense. My Jeep has less than 1,000 miles on it. @JeepCares, can I get some help with this? Thanks!
We can certainly dig in further here to see how we can assist you. Please send our team a private message with more details.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
For those with the turbo rattle...is anyone running a Tazer and can tell me what’s the max boost PSI you’re seeing? I only see boost maxed around 18psi on mine. I’ve heard others get up to 30psi.

xEDGEx

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Crystal Metallic JLUR 2.0L Turbo
I dropped my Jeep off at dealership today to get the rattle/clicking checked out.

Consistent with previous posts, it's on the driver's side, occurs during deceleration only, and is most noticeable ~20-30mph (due to lower road/wind noise).

Will try to follow up with updates :)

(they're also looking at sputtering on cold weather cold start and rust on the oil dip stick - so that's fun)

xEDGEx

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Crystal Metallic JLUR 2.0L Turbo
I dropped my Jeep off at dealership today to get the rattle/clicking checked out.

Consistent with previous posts, it's on the driver's side, occurs during deceleration only, and is most noticeable ~20-30mph (due to lower road/wind noise).

Will try to follow up with updates :)

(they're also looking at sputtering on cold weather cold start and rust on the oil dip stick - so that's fun)
Dealership was able to repro the noise and identified it as the actuator rod. After comparing the sound with two brand new Jeeps on the lot, they determined that it is "a common operating characteristic" and didn't fix/replace.

For those who have had new turbos installed, is the noise still there?

I *think* it's louder now than when I first got the Jeep brand new ~25k miles ago (I'm certainly more aware of the noise :) ). Not sure if there's any need for alarm or if it just comes with the territory of turbos.. dealer doesn't seem concerned about it and the manager said something like "if there are folks swapping their turbos because of it, they're in for a rude awakening" - @JeepCares any insight here?

Jeep Wrangler JL Turbo rattle? PXL_20210703_021824476

Jeep Wrangler JL Turbo rattle? PXL_20210703_021844952

Dudley Dawson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Dealership was able to repro the noise and identified it as the actuator rod. After comparing the sound with two brand new Jeeps on the lot, they determined that it is "a common operating characteristic" and didn't fix/replace.

For those who have had new turbos installed, is the noise still there?

I *think* it's louder now than when I first got the Jeep brand new ~25k miles ago (I'm certainly more aware of the noise :) ). Not sure if there's any need for alarm or if it just comes with the territory of turbos.. dealer doesn't seem concerned about it and the manager said something like "if there are folks swapping their turbos because of it, they're in for a rude awakening" - @JeepCares any insight here?

PXL_20210703_021824476.jpg

PXL_20210703_021844952.jpg
After a lot of back and forth and taking my Jeep to a second dealer, my turbo was finally replaced. No “rude awakening” here. After having mine replaced, I listened - very closely - to determine if the noise was gone. I’d say there is still very, very light mechanical noise upon deceleration; however, it is SIGNIFICANTLY better than before, and I’d say it sounds normal now.

And that, I believe, is part of the problem. They compare it to a stock Jeep on the lot. When they listen - very closely - and hear it on a new Jeep, they likely assess it as operating as designed. Having the dealer tech drive my Jeep by a building, and then experiencing the loud echoing of the clicking noise, convinced them something was wrong. You didn’t have to listen hard at all. I could just cruise down the street and anyone standing on the sidewalk could hear it.

I’d estimate that the majority of 2.0 owners are not experiencing this issue. Only a handful of us on the forums have reported experiencing this rattle noise upon deceleration. Too bad they can’t just tighten or replace the linkage / actuator rod (assuming that is the issue). They have to replace the whole turbo assembly (just like when a locker sensor fails, they are replacing the whole axle).

Good luck.

thetooke

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Owner & Operator of Stage 2 Entertainment Equipment, LLC
After a lot of back and forth and taking my Jeep to a second dealer, my turbo was finally replaced. No “rude awakening” here. After having mine replaced, I listened - very closely - to determine if the noise was gone. I’d say there is still very, very light mechanical noise upon deceleration; however, it is SIGNIFICANTLY better than before, and I’d say it sounds normal now.

And that, I believe, is part of the problem. They compare it to a stock Jeep on the lot. When they listen - very closely - and hear it on a new Jeep, they likely assess it as operating as designed. Having the dealer tech drive my Jeep by a building, and then experiencing the loud echoing of the clicking noise, convinced them something was wrong. You didn’t have to listen hard at all. I could just cruise down the street and anyone standing on the sidewalk could hear it.

I’d estimate that the majority of 2.0 owners are not experiencing this issue. Only a handful of us on the forums have reported experiencing this rattle noise upon deceleration. Too bad they can’t just tighten or replace the linkage / actuator rod (assuming that is the issue). They have to replace the whole turbo assembly (just like when a locker sensor fails, they are replacing the whole axle).

Good luck.
I agree, no rude awakening either. That obnoxious noise disappeared when it was replaced along with an improved driving experience. I am not sure why there is such a blow back at some of these dealerships. I'm glad that I landed at one in my area that took the time to truly hear me out look over the evidence presented on this thread. I wish nothing but the best for those who are dealing with this issue.
Sponsored