Turbo rattle?

Dudley Dawson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Well, after some back and forth between all of the relevant parties, my Jeep's turbo rattle/clicking noise (exactly the same as others here) was determined to be "operating as designed." Again, because another Jeep on the lot was doing it too. This really should be a TSB.
Sponsored

Huehue80

First Name
Cohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Well, after some back and forth between all of the relevant parties, my Jeep's turbo rattle/clicking noise (exactly the same as others here) was determined to be "operating as designed." Again, because another Jeep on the lot was doing it too. This really should be a TSB.
sorry to hear that, they are listening for the wrong clicking noise. My dealer did the same thing. I had to keep pushing for months to get them to see it’s not normal. I would grab your GoPro record your jeep near the turbo like in my video and then take one of their Jeep’s of the same year and compare the video. The clicking is not the same. I can’t believe after numerous examples and the new clip of the actual actuator making the noise they keep saying it’s normal.

I’m going to pm you with another thing I did.

Last edited:

Dudley Dawson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
sorry to hear that, they are listening for the wrong clicking noise. My dealer did the same thing. I had to keep pushing for months to get them to see it’s not normal. I would grab your GoPro record your jeep near the turbo like in my video and then take one of their Jeep’s of the same year and compare the video. The clicking is not the same. I can’t believe after numerous examples and the new clip of the actual actuator making the noise they keep saying it’s normal.

I’m going to pm you with another thing I did.
Got it - thank you. Disappointing for sure. I will keep trying.

thadude

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport - 2D Mojito
I am now getting the same response after taking it to my dealership 3 times. They are admitting to the issue being the waste gate actuator but chalking it up to normal turbo noises because it is similar to a new JL.... The east coat Jeep Cares/Stellantis district engineers are saying there is no further work to be done because it is operated as designed. This is now getting frustrating and about to cost Jeep a customer.

Dudley Dawson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I am now getting the same response after taking it to my dealership 3 times. They are admitting to the issue being the waste gate actuator but chalking it up to normal turbo noises because it is similar to a new JL.... The east coat Jeep Cares/Stellantis district engineers are saying there is no further work to be done because it is operated as designed. This is now getting frustrating and about to cost Jeep a customer.
I love my Jeep and really like the 2.0’s performance. But I can’t deal with this noise indefinitely. It’s that noticeable. Especially when windows down, top off, etc.. When doors are off - it’s next level annoying. Takes enjoyment away from the open-air experience.

They say it’s operating as designed yet others with a new turbo (different part number) no longer have the rattle/clicking noise. Hmm.

They recommended I try another dealer. But I’m sure they will consult the same regional advisor and arrive at the same conclusion.

Sponsored

thadude

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I love my Jeep and really like the 2.0’s performance. But I can’t deal with this noise indefinitely. It’s that noticeable. Especially when windows down, top off, etc.. When doors are off - it’s next level annoying. Takes enjoyment away from the open-air experience.

They say it’s operating as designed yet others with a new turbo (different part number) no longer have the rattle/clicking noise. Hmm.

They recommended I try another dealer. But I’m sure they will consult the same regional advisor and arrive at the same conclusion.
I am getting the same runaround. They even agree with me now going to another dealer is a waste of time as they will be consulting with the same engineers in the area so same result.

I was told to write a letter to corporate and see where that goes at this point

JackLegJLOwner

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SAHARA
I am getting the same runaround. They even agree with me now going to another dealer is a waste of time as they will be consulting with the same engineers in the area so same result.

I was told to write a letter to corporate and see where that goes at this point
Picked mine up from dealership in Huntsville, AL today and they told me there is nothing that can be found that isn’t “normal”. Showed them videos from this thread. Mine is so noticeable that it’s really embarrassing and annoying to drive.

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
Well haven’t gotten mine into the dealer yet. I broke my legs and haven’t driven my Jeep in almost 7wks. The other day I was looking under the hood and noticed this to be pretty loose and can rattle easy. Is anyone else’s like this?

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
Well haven’t gotten mine into the dealer yet. I broke my legs and haven’t driven my Jeep in almost 7wks. The other day I was looking under the hood and noticed this to be pretty loose and can rattle easy. Is anyone else’s like this?

Mine is exactly like this. That play is very likely the noise. Sadly, It's probably designed that way.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
Mine is exactly like this. That play is very likely the noise. Sadly, It's probably designed that way.
I was thinking more about this. I wonder if some nylon washers would eliminate the play. Hmmm....

Sponsored

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
I know they’re changing the turbos out, but are they fixing the rod like in my video a live as well?

Dudley Dawson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon

Sorry to hear about your legs - hope you’re back in the saddle again soon.

I checked and yeah mine (whatever that is) does that too. Not sure if that is the cause but perhaps it is. Who knows. But seems those who’ve had their turbos replaced haven’t experienced the rattle anymore. Wondering if that component is part of the turbo swap.

I haven’t gotten around to taking mine to another dealer yet. Plan to soon; third attempt. It’s a PITA when you rely on your rig for work and have to deal with this (and likely no loaner to boot).

I wrote an email to “corporate” as suggested by my US Customer Care rep - crickets. Asked for a better POC, and no reply.

Still love the Jeep and the turbo - just want it fixed.

Good luck.

thadude

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry to hear about your legs - hope you’re back in the saddle again soon.

I checked and yeah mine (whatever that is) does that too. Not sure if that is the cause but perhaps it is. Who knows. But seems those who’ve had their turbos replaced haven’t experienced the rattle anymore. Wondering if that component is part of the turbo swap.

I haven’t gotten around to taking mine to another dealer yet. Plan to soon; third attempt. It’s a PITA when you rely on your rig for work and have to deal with this (and likely no loaner to boot).

I wrote an email to “corporate” as suggested by my US Customer Care rep - crickets. Asked for a better POC, and no reply.

Still love the Jeep and the turbo - just want it fixed.

Good luck.
I was told to write a good old fashioned letter as opposed to an email. I have not had the time to do so as i am in school and the semester is hell, but I will eventually. Its disappointing as i will probably not buy my vehicle when my lease is over unless this issue is resolved or more extensive measure are taken rather than "normal turbo noises" nonsense we keep getting.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon