Sponsored

Turbo rattle?

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
I didn't read this entire thread, so I apologize if this has been discussed. But about a year ago, we put premium in my wife's 2020 2.0. Immediately this sound was present, only around 1200 rpm. Next tank of gas was back to regular, and the sound went away. I don't think she's put premium in it since. Maybe I'll put some in as a test to see if the sound comes back. But since the sound went away, we stopped worrying about it. Maybe we should be worried.
Sponsored

Meela

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler 4Cyl Turbo
I didn't read this entire thread, so I apologize if this has been discussed. But about a year ago, we put premium in my wife's 2020 2.0. Immediately this sound was present, only around 1200 rpm. Next tank of gas was back to regular, and the sound went away. I don't think she's put premium in it since. Maybe I'll put some in as a test to see if the sound comes back. But since the sound went away, we stopped worrying about it. Maybe we should be worried.
The sound can be very faint. The difference between windows up or down can impact hearing it.....Sitting in the passenger seat vs drivers seat...add to that certain set of circumstances.... it could be getting missed... or maybe it was just a fluke for you?

for me... I had to be in the drivers seat...radio off....windows down.... I would have to be coasting towards my stop between 15-30 mph without applying the brakes. Once I pressed the brakes the sound would stop immediately.

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
The sound can be very faint. The difference between windows up or down can impact hearing it.....Sitting in the passenger seat vs drivers seat...add to that certain set of circumstances.... it could be getting missed... or maybe it was just a fluke for you?

for me... I had to be in the drivers seat...radio off....windows down.... I would have to be coasting towards my stop between 15-30 mph without applying the brakes. Once I pressed the brakes the sound would stop immediately.
Interesting. Maybe it's still there, just quiet enough where we don't hear it. When we did hear it, it was very loud. I'll drive it this weekend to see if I notice anything. Thanks.

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't actually hear mine until I was driving with my doors off and the radio turned down. Then upon deceleration, under 30 mph, I heard it. I knew immediately something was wrong as it sounded like baseball cards in the spokes of a bike. When I took a mechanic from the dealership for a ride, he heard it too but said it is just what turbos do. When I replied that it didn't originally do that, that's when I started to make some headway.

Sponsored

Huehue80

First Name
Cohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Interesting. Maybe it's still there, just quiet enough where we don't hear it. When we did hear it, it was very loud. I'll drive it this weekend to see if I notice anything. Thanks.
I always fill with premium gas. Never regular. The engine makes a ticking noise normally. The turbo clicking noise is completely different. Check out my video in this thread.

thetooke

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Owner & Operator of Stage 2 Entertainment Equipment, LLC
What we are discussing is the actuator in the turbo charger. Under normal operation when you let your foot off of the accelerator the actuator opens the waste gate to let off the extra pressure. The issue that seems to be arising is that the actuator has faulted and when it opens up it is loose and the air pressure escaping causes it to move around presenting a “rattle” or “card in the spokes of a bicycle” sound.
This would not be affected by a change in fuel.
When you do try premium (which is what I fuel with) run your tank empty before fueling. I have heard that a mix may cause a slight knocking? Can anyone confirm that?

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
What we are discussing is the actuator in the turbo charger. Under normal operation when you let your foot off of the accelerator the actuator opens the waste gate to let off the extra pressure. The issue that seems to be arising is that the actuator has faulted and when it opens up it is loose and the air pressure escaping causes it to move around presenting a “rattle” or “card in the spokes of a bicycle” sound.
This would not be affected by a change in fuel.
When you do try premium (which is what I fuel with) run your tank empty before fueling. I have heard that a mix may cause a slight knocking? Can anyone confirm that?
The sound we had was a rattle or card in the spokes sound, and it was very loud. When my wife told me about it, I blew it off as normal turbo related sounds. Then I drove the jeep and it was obviously not a normal sound. It could be heard windows up, in any gear at a certain rpm, around 1200 or so. I was ready to bring it in, but new tank of regular gas, and the sound immediately went away. The only reason we didn't bring it in right away is because she had her valve body replaced a couple of months prior, and the dealer experience was pretty bad with that one.

I'm not saying you're wrong about fuel not causing it, and my experience might have been coincidence. But we haven't heard the loud rattle in about a year.

If left unfixed, will this actuator issue cause long-term damage?

thetooke

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The sound we had was a rattle or card in the spokes sound, and it was very loud. When my wife told me about it, I blew it off as normal turbo related sounds. Then I drove the jeep and it was obviously not a normal sound. It could be heard windows up, in any gear at a certain rpm, around 1200 or so. I was ready to bring it in, but new tank of regular gas, and the sound immediately went away. The only reason we didn't bring it in right away is because she had her valve body replaced a couple of months prior, and the dealer experience was pretty bad with that one.

I'm not saying you're wrong about fuel not causing it, and my experience might have been coincidence. But we haven't heard the loud rattle in about a year.

If left unfixed, will this actuator issue cause long-term damage?
I found this in an online article.
“A sticking wastegate or faulty diaphragm can result in performance issues. A stuck open wastegate results in poor high-end performance, allowing too much exhaust pressure to bypass the turbine wheel. A stuck closed wastegate results in damaging overboost by providing maximum pressure at all times.”

Sponsored

thetooke

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
To those who’ve had their turbo replaced: any idea if its a different part number?
This is the question I asked my JeepCares rep who is in contact with the service tech. I hope to have an answer when the service is being completed (parts are being delivered).

Dudley Dawson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Well...swing and a miss.

Had my service appointment today. The service tech and foreman both acknowledged that my turbo had the clicking noise on deceleration. But after they compared it with 2 “stock units,” they assessed the clicking noise as normal. It was also noted that my Jeep displayed no error codes, and they cited the absence of any current TSBs.

But hey, they did agree to fix my sun visor which was dangling by a string when I dropped it off.

I’ve reached out to JeepCares for help.

Meela

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler 4Cyl Turbo
Well...swing and a miss.

Had my service appointment today. The service tech and foreman both acknowledged that my turbo had the clicking noise on deceleration. But after they compared it with 2 “stock units,” they assessed the clicking noise as normal. It was also noted that my Jeep displayed no error codes, and they cited the absence of any current TSBs.

But hey, they did agree to fix my sun visor which was dangling by a string when I dropped it off.

I’ve reached out to JeepCares for help.
Aw man...that sucks. Just an additional FYI for JeepCares in case it does help to know. I had zero codes as well. There was nothing to indicate an issue outside of the noise on deceleration.

Dudley Dawson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Aw man...that sucks. Just an additional FYI for JeepCares in case it does help to know. I had zero codes as well. There was nothing to indicate an issue outside of the noise on deceleration.
It does. I try to keep things in perspective. Beautiful weather in Northern VA today. So I shrugged it off, departed the dealership with top back and windows down, and tried to enjoy the drive home. (And then I heard that friggin clicking noise again). 😆
Sponsored