Turbo rattle?

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Guess I have been fairly lucky. Every dealership I’ve ever dealt with for the most part the service department has been good and no issues getting my warranty work. The worst has been communication sucks as does getting my loaner sometimes but getting them to do the work has never been an issue.
Thanks.
Not all dealers are the same.
Selling dealer sold well; service was awful.
Took us a year to resolve the steering issue and get the steering gear from another dealer.
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I took my Jeep to the Dealership to have this clicking looked at for the fifth time. Thinking it was the turbo. They said it was the timing chain and it is normal 🤬😡🤬😡. This is a very annoying click noise. So now my $50k jeep sounds like a old rusty bucket. I need some help with this @JeepCares. I don’t think the timing chain should have so much slack that it makes noise. Or it is a turbo issue I need to find out how to fix this. It has done this for over a year now and the dealership can hear it but can’t fix it.
We would like to discuss this further with you. Please send our team a private message with more details.

Kate
JeepCares

thetooke

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Owner & Operator of Stage 2 Entertainment Equipment, LLC
part came in and took them just under a week to replace then test drive to make sure it was good to go. My baby is home!! Added the notes for what they found and did.

753257B9-3A7D-4BDA-AA8B-8C3174CFFC7E.jpeg
Meela,
Would you mind posting the name, number of service department, and name of service agent you worked with? I am working with a Jeep Cares representative, maybe he could get some information that would help solve this exact same “rattle” issue I am also having on my 2018 JLU.

Last edited:

Meela

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler 4Cyl Turbo
Meela,
Would you mind posting the name, number of service department, and name of service agent you worked with? I am working with a Jeep Cares representative, maybe he could get some information that would help solve this exact same “rattle” issue I am also having on my 2018 JLU.
The techs at two locations where I have gone are scratching their heads and also chalking it up to regular turbo noise.
My service agent changed hands towards the end....I don’t remember off the top of my head but my last text came from “Michael “

7CC44104-EEAB-482B-B0C6-715133C8474D.png

thetooke

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Owner & Operator of Stage 2 Entertainment Equipment, LLC
Update:
Presented all of this information to the Huffines Lewisville service department and the techs still refused to take a look at the turbo, pushing back that it was normal turbo noise and what it should sound like when the engine breaks in.
I then took it over to Grapevine Jeep service department with the same presentation and where to look. Next day I get called back with confirmation that it is the turbo actuator that is damaged and causing the noise when the waste gate opens. The service adviser said the video and service tickets posted also helped direct them to the issue.
Part is on back order and will call me when it arrives for replacement. I will update with results.

Sponsored

Meela

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler 4Cyl Turbo
Update:
Presented all of this information to the Huffines Lewisville service department and the techs still refused to take a look at the turbo, pushing back that it was normal turbo noise and what it should sound like when the engine breaks in.
I then took it over to Grapevine Jeep service department with the same presentation and where to look. Next day I get called back with confirmation that it is the turbo actuator that is damaged and causing the noise when the waste gate opens. The service adviser said the video and service tickets posted also helped direct them to the issue.
Part is on back order and will call me when it arrives for replacement. I will update with results.
So glad to have been able to assist in such a small yet big way! You’re going to hear a completely different Jeep when she gets back. Hope the wait isn’t too long.

Huehue80

First Name
Cohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
I too have a turbo on order after I recorded a sound clip near the turbo and changed their mind on their original diagnosis that the clicking was the timing chain.

Last edited:

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
I too have a turbo on order after I recorded a sound clip near the turbo and changed their mind on their original diagnosis that the clicking was the timing chain.
How did you take this video? As in how did you place your camera? I need to do the same to show my dealership. This is exactly what I am hearing on mine. Thanks

Huehue80

First Name
Cohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
How did you take this video? As in how did you place your camera? I need to do the same to show my dealership. This is exactly what I am hearing on mine. Thanks
Jason,

I used my go pro. I zip tied it to some of the wires as well as a flash light. Drove around to record the sound. I used my cell phones GoPro app to start The recording. The files are usually very large. Just use low resolution, the sound is the most important part. Heck, you could even just use your mobile phone as well.

or just download mine if it’s the same.

the biggest thing is to get them to recognize the noise. My turbo parts have arrived and install is on Monday. I’ll post the results later next week.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dudley Dawson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Jason,

I used my go pro. I zip tied it to some of the wires as well as a flash light. Drove around to record the sound. I used my cell phones GoPro app to start The recording. The files are usually very large. Just use low resolution, the sound is the most important part. Heck, you could even just use your mobile phone as well.

the biggest thing it to get them to recognize the noise. My turbo parts have arrived and install is on Monday. I’ll post the results later next week.
Well done. Mind if I...ahem...”borrow”...your video? 😂. I’ve been meaning to take my Jeep to the dealer for same noise,
especially before warm weather arrives, and windows are routinely down, etc. That’s when I really notice it and it drives me crazy. Thanks for sharing and look forward to hearing how it goes. Good luck.

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
Jason,

the biggest thing it to get them to recognize the noise. My turbo parts have arrived and install is on Monday. I’ll post the results later next week.
I figured GoPro. I used mine to catch noise with my transmission a couple months ago. I may just screen record yours and call it a day. Well done though!

Huehue80

First Name
Cohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Great news, just picked up my Jeep and the clicking noise is gone. They installed a new turbo. Thanks to help from this forum @Meela @AtlanticOverland for their great insight and help. The video I recorded was the push they needed to replace it. Here is the work order. The Jeep feels smoother and more alive now.
Jeep Wrangler JL Turbo rattle? 355897F6-EC29-4CBB-927D-CC00775684F7
Jeep Wrangler JL Turbo rattle? 325A7D76-DFD9-41A1-A040-54174D983803

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
Great news, just picked up my Jeep and the clicking noise is gone. They installed a new turbo. Thanks to help from this forum @Meela @AtlanticOverland for their great insight and help. The video I recorded was the push they needed to replace it. Here is the work order. The Jeep feels smoother and more alive now.
355897F6-EC29-4CBB-927D-CC00775684F7.jpeg
325A7D76-DFD9-41A1-A040-54174D983803.jpeg
CONGRATULATIONS! That is so great to hear and I am really glad it worked out for you (finally)! It is amazing to not have that rattle and to have a new turbo.
Sponsored