Sponsored

Turbo rattle?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I took my Jeep to the Dealership to have this clicking looked at for the fifth time. Thinking it was the turbo. They said it was the timing chain and it is normal 🤬😡🤬😡. This is a very annoying click noise. So now my $50k jeep sounds like a old rusty bucket. I need some help with this @JeepCares. I don’t think the timing chain should have so much slack that it makes noise. Or it is a turbo issue I need to find out how to fix this. It has done this for over a year now and the dealership can hear it but can’t fix it.
Sounds like BS to me. If it's truly the timing chain making noise they should replace the timing chain adjuster, or guides, or chain, etc.
Sponsored

Huehue80

First Name
Cohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Sounds like BS to me. If it's truly the timing chain making noise they should replace the timing chain adjuster, or guides, or chain, etc.
So true, I already had a timing chain tensioner done but the noise is still there.

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
I took my Jeep to the Dealership to have this clicking looked at for the fifth time. Thinking it was the turbo. They said it was the timing chain and it is normal 🤬😡🤬😡. This is a very annoying click noise. So now my $50k jeep sounds like a old rusty bucket. I need some help with this @JeepCares. I don’t think the timing chain should have so much slack that it makes noise. Or it is a turbo issue I need to find out how to fix this. It has done this for over a year now and the dealership can hear it but can’t fix it.
I know we chatted about this through dm's. Can you record it so I can hear it? If it sounds like mine, they replaced the turbo a couple weeks ago and I haven't heard it since. However, they are backordered on turbos until the end of time.

Huehue80

First Name
Cohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Here is a clip under the driver side engine area

hear for the clicking @JeepCares

Last edited:

Sponsored

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
Let’s try that again

Try it again
Sounds pretty similar to how mine sounded before the turbo swap. Difficult to tell exactly because I am usually in the drivers seat so it sounds a little different to my ear because of perspective. Again, it sounded pretty similar! Is that clicking at deceleration?

Huehue80

First Name
Cohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Sounds pretty similar to how mine sounded before the turbo swap. Difficult to tell exactly because I am usually in the drivers seat so it sounds a little different to my ear because of perspective. Again, it sounded pretty similar! Is that clicking at deceleration?
Yep every time you slow down and just coast it will do this.

Meela

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler 4Cyl Turbo
Yep every time you slow down and just coast it will do this.
This was the exact same sound....only from drivers seat very faint to hear. The circumstances you mentioned is exactly what I told my team. If you go back a page or two you should see/Find the post where I posted the maintenance finding and what they did. It was a whole turbo change and she runs MUCH BETTER than before.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Huehue80

First Name
Cohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
@Huehue80 it’s on page 8.
Meela,

I took your work order in and told them this is the sound. But, they said the waste gate actuator was not the noise. Said the timing chain was it. I’m going to talk to jeep cares to get them to dig into it deeper.

The noise is more faint from the drivers seat but I always had too much wind noise when I recorded it.

I’m going to keep pushing for them to do more.

thanks for your info, everyone is helping a ton on the forum.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I've had so many cars. All makes. Jeep now.
Seems to me that dealers don't want to do warranty work.

Have you heard of Reynolds & Reynolds? They sell computer software that manages dealerships. Strategy is to track every customer, and make more money from each of them. And if you're not making money from a customer, ditch them! Send them to your competitor so they will lose money, not you.

Got the Jeep September over a year ago. We fought steering issues for over a year. Fixed now.

This thread is helpful. But first reaction is, Oh no. Not again.

Meela

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Meela,

I took your work order in and told them this is the sound. But, they said the waste gate actuator was not the noise. Said the timing chain was it. I’m going to talk to jeep cares to get them to dig into it deeper.

The noise is more faint from the drivers seat but I always had too much wind noise when I recorded it.

I’m going to keep pushing for them to do more.

thanks for your info, everyone is helping a ton on the forum.
Sorry you are going through that....definitely keep pushing to get that checked out. Try a different dealership. Whatever you have to do to be heard. The customer service communications at my dealership may suck but I’m thankful they listened and got her fixed. After switching out that turbo she is quiet and seems stronger.

Meela

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've had so many cars. All makes. Jeep now.
Seems to me that dealers don't want to do warranty work.

Have you heard of Reynolds & Reynolds? They sell computer software that manages dealerships. Strategy is to track every customer, and make more money from each of them. And if you're not making money from a customer, ditch them! Send them to your competitor so they will lose money, not you.

Got the Jeep September over a year ago. We fought steering issues for over a year. Fixed now.

This thread is helpful. But first reaction is, Oh no. Not again.
Guess I have been fairly lucky. Every dealership I’ve ever dealt with for the most part the service department has been good and no issues getting my warranty work. The worst has been communication sucks as does getting my loaner sometimes but getting them to do the work has never been an issue.
Sponsored