Turbo rattle?

Dudley Dawson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Just got mine back and I am happy to report that I no longer have a baseball card in the spokes of a bike sound! New turbo! However, they spray antifreeze all over the engine so it’s pretty smelly/smoky as it burns off. Drove well on the 20 mile drive home!
How long was your rig in the shop? I’m going to attempt to have this fixed too. This should be a TSB...
Sponsored

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
How long was your rig in the shop? I’m going to attempt to have this fixed too. This should be a TSB...
Dropped it off Tuesday morning and they said it would take two hours to do. Then they called and said, this is really complicated so you may have to hang on to the loaner a little longer. Just got it at 2:30 today. Plan on anything from two hours to two weeks.

Meela

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler 4Cyl Turbo
Just got mine back and I am happy to report that I no longer have a baseball card in the spokes of a bike sound! New turbo! However, they spray antifreeze all over the engine so it’s pretty smelly/smoky as it burns off. Drove well on the 20 mile drive home!
No antifreeze on mine but grease was everywhere...had go clean her up!

Sponsored

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
Great news. If you get a chance can you upload your service ticket for us? It would be nice to have a couple of these out there to show the dealerships.
That being said I just got a call from mine that they haven’t even had a chance to look at it yet...what good is a 9am appointment for? 😡

Meela

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler 4Cyl Turbo
I finally took her for a longer drive. She is performing better than before. I had my hubby take her out as well and he agrees she seems stronger now than before. As you can probably tell I’m not an extremely technical person ... 😂🤣

Sponsored

Simann

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
So all this time I figured it had something to do with the direct injection system of the 4cyl turbo.....then I realized these engines are NOT direct injected. LOL

Taking my to the dealer soon for a turDbro replacement! Mine sounds just like a diesel on startup, a loose wastegate actuator never crossed my mind, but it definitely could cause that crazy rattle!

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
This is interesting. Do any of you that have had this issues know if inspecting the actuator rod is something fairly simple? Did the techs show any of you the part?

I'm Negan

First Name
Quincy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl, M4
Back in my BMW 335i days, BMW used to fix wastegate rattles on their twin turbo N54 engines under warranty!

I'd be pissed if mine rattled and others dont and they tell me, oh that's normal they all do that!

I remember guys takin their cars in just for rattles from the interior and fixed under warranty!

Huehue80

First Name
Cohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
I took my Jeep to the Dealership to have this clicking looked at for the fifth time. Thinking it was the turbo. They said it was the timing chain and it is normal 🤬😡🤬😡. This is a very annoying click noise. So now my $50k jeep sounds like a old rusty bucket. I need some help with this @JeepCares. I don’t think the timing chain should have so much slack that it makes noise. Or it is a turbo issue I need to find out how to fix this. It has done this for over a year now and the dealership can hear it but can’t fix it.
Sponsored