Turbo rattle?

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
@AnnDee4444 - Thank you for tagging us.

Hi Everyone,

If you are visiting a Jeep dealer to have this diagnosed, please feel free to keep our team updated. If you would like a case escalated before your appointment, please send us a message with your VIN, mileage, and dealer.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
For those that have the Turbo being replaced due to a rattling / loose linkage rod, is it external, and could it be remedied by a spring, or wave washer to put tension on the rod ? Having the entire Turbo replaced for this would make me worry about more problems being introduced by techs unfamiliar with this job.

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
part came in and took them just under a week to replace then test drive to make sure it was good to go. My baby is home!! Added the notes for what they found and did.

753257B9-3A7D-4BDA-AA8B-8C3174CFFC7E.jpeg
Thank you for posting this! Mine is due back from the shop tomorrow; I canā€™t wait to have it back. How does it feel with the new turbo? Any noticeable difference in performance or sound?

Last edited:

thadude

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport - 2D Mojito
part came in and took them just under a week to replace then test drive to make sure it was good to go. My baby is home!! Added the notes for what they found and did.

Jeep Wrangler JL Turbo rattle? 753257B9-3A7D-4BDA-AA8B-8C3174CFFC7E
Omg thank you for being the pioneer on this one! I will certainly be showing this to my shop who said they couldnt hear any noise so it was not a big deal unless things got worse...

Sponsored

Meela

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler 4Cyl Turbo
Thank you for posting this! Mine is due back from the shop tomorrow; I canā€™t wait to have it back. How does it feel with the new turbo? Any noticeable difference in performance or sound?
She was solid before but had that rattle. Still performed well. No noise detection so far. Itā€™s odd to say but so far she seems more ...solid than before. I have had her back for a few hours now...no real running to do today but forced myself to find things to do to run her around town. Will get a better feel for her tomorrow as the kids have their activities farther away than I drove today.

Meela

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Omg thank you for being the pioneer on this one! I will certainly be showing this to my shop who said they couldnt hear any noise so it was not a big deal unless things got worse...
Hopefully your noise isnā€™t this issue but Iā€™d rather be safe than sorry. Loose rod through the engine would be way worse.

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
Glad to see itā€™s fixed and back. Still curious on the actually sound yā€™all are hearing. I hear something with my window down that sounds like a card in bike spokes but nothing inside or metal sounding.

Last edited:

Huehue80

First Name
Cohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
While parked and in park, gently rev the engine up to 2500rpm. Let off the throttle and listen for your rattle.
BTW do this after engine is fully warmed and you've driven it.
I have the same rattle on my 2018 JLU. The sound will go away when there is no load on the engine. So, Idling or reving the engine doesnā€™t work. I know this because I can hear the noise and shift into neutral and it will go away.

but good idea. Also I already had a timing chain tensioner replaced and the sound clicking is still there.

Sponsored

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
Thats the sound
Well damn! Bringing mine in tomorrow morning for the transmission bucking in 3-2-1. Iā€™ll probably bring this up too. So itā€™s says in the techs notes the actuator was loose, is there no way to tighten it instead of replacing the whole turbo?

Meela

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad to see itā€™s fixed and back. Still curious on the actually sound yā€™all are hearing. I hear something with my window down that sounds like a card in bike spokes but nothing inside or metal sounding.
I honestly cannot say if it sounds like yours because Iā€™ve never heard a card in bike tire before ... the sound was a ticking/clicking sound. Mostly heard at lower speeds... typically on natural deceleration. .the sound would stop completely once pressing the brake. Wouldnā€™t make the noise unless under those specific conditions. Noise was faint and would not be heard from within the Jeep with windows up..could only be heard from drivers side. I Hope this helps.

Meela

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well damn! Bringing mine in tomorrow morning for the transmission bucking in 3-2-1. Iā€™ll probably bring this up too. So itā€™s says in the techs notes the actuator was loose, is there no way to tighten it instead of replacing the whole turbo?
Iā€™d assume if they could they would have just done that. Iā€™m more curious as if it is a turbo housing build issue since they went the route of changing the whole thing out.

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
Dropped mine off this morning for my transmission and mentioned the waste gate actuator to be checked as well. Letā€™s see what they say this afternoon.

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
Just got mine back and I am happy to report that I no longer have a baseball card in the spokes of a bike sound! New turbo! However, they spray antifreeze all over the engine so itā€™s pretty smelly/smoky as it burns off. Drove well on the 20 mile drive home!
Sponsored