thadude

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport - 2D Mojito
[

It hurts to say I’m glad I’m not the only one. Same part I’m waiting on. The parts department at my dealership stated they switched companies that were manufacturing the turbos (this was rough two weeks ago). The new company I assume is now having to rush parts to play catch-up. Hoping they make them correctly with how long we are waiting. Made a follow up call this evening and was told they are now showing an ETA as December 31st!
Not sure if it would be your insurance or through FCA, but were you given a rental at no charge while waiting on this? Probably a dumb question, but never had to leave any car of mine at the shop for more than a night...fortunately.
Sponsored

Meela

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler 4Cyl Turbo
Not sure if it would be your insurance or through FCA, but were you given a rental at no charge while waiting on this? Probably a dumb question, but never had to leave any car of mine at the shop for more than a night...fortunately.
The dealership gave me a vehicle to use. I was given some sort of service thing at time of purchase. I honestly didn’t pay any attention to it because we have moved so much and I figured it would be dealership specific. Thankful now I had it in place!

thadude

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The dealership gave me a vehicle to use. I was given some sort of service thing at time of purchase. I honestly didn’t pay any attention to it because we have moved so much and I figured it would be dealership specific. Thankful now I had it in place!
Just dropped her off. I shall let you know if they think it is the same thing

thadude

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a 2018 with the same rattle, is everyone else with issues a 2018? This only happens on deceleration. No gas applied so it shouldn't be the DI (no fuel should be injected) and it doesn't happen after a spoolup, so shouldn't be blow off or turbo flutter.
I always thought it was related to the hybrid charging system, like an engine brake in a diesel.
Mine is a 2018 as well. Dealership didn't hear the sound, but it was rainy and windy and they drove it on a busy road sooooo that explains that. Will definitely be taking it back.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I have a 2018 with the same rattle, is everyone else with issues a 2018? This only happens on deceleration. No gas applied so it shouldn't be the DI (no fuel should be injected) and it doesn't happen after a spoolup, so shouldn't be blow off or turbo flutter.
I always thought it was related to the hybrid charging system, like an engine brake in a diesel.
My 2018 does it too.

Sponsored

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
Does anyone actually have good audio of this? I have a fluttering type of noise I hear sometimes.

Last edited:

Meela

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler 4Cyl Turbo
This sounds exactly like mine (it is a 2018) always happened on natural deceleration & when I pushed on the brakes the noise would stop.

Dudley Dawson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I have a 2018, same noise. I just accepted it as normal; will be watching this thread. Very noticeable when windows down or doors off.

31R

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
2018 here. Mine happens at deceleration as well. My dealership was able to replicate the sound and believes it to be the turbo; it sounds a lot like baseball cards in the spokes of a bike. Wish I could figure this one out.

thadude

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 here. Mine happens at deceleration as well. My dealership was able to replicate the sound and believes it to be the turbo; it sounds a lot like baseball cards in the spokes of a bike. Wish I could figure this one out.
Thats how I described it to them but they insisted it was nothing to be concerned with. I hate waiting around but I am super curious is those who get new turbos will no longer have to deal with this noise.

Dudley Dawson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
This is why I think its related to the hybrid charging system. Letting off the gas would start aggressive scavenging and when you press the brakes it quits.
I wonder if the people that don't have the noise have a different part number on their alternator/BSG.
I agree. It’s likely related to the regenerative charging system unique to the 2.0 (or now 3.6?) BSG, activated on deceleration or braking, and perhaps not necessarily related to the turbo itself. Nonetheless, it seems louder than it should. I bought my Jeep in the winter so I can’t recall if the noise was there from the beginning. But once the windows went down or doors came off, it was obvious (and annoying). Now I know it’s there, I hear it in the cabin (if the Alpine isn’t booming).

Deleted member 53226

That’s pretty much the same answer I got along with “it’s a very new engine so we don’t have the most experience with it so we are figuring stuff out as we go”. They said it’s definitely coming from right behind or next to the engine just based on where the sound is most heard (driver side).

They had the same “we are learning as we go” comment when they were fixing my heater core and said that mine was a guinea pig for them because it’s the first Jeep turbo 2.0l they ever saw or worked on
Ah Yes, so it begins with Jeep/FCA and any type of new engine version. I am sure the turbo is a great little engine, but man it is hard to trust FCA engineers to get anything "new" right, and /or service it properly. Seriously, it took FCA about a decade worth of evolution to get the V6 Pentastar halfway sorted out.
Sponsored