Turbo rattle?

FamilyJeeper10

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Grand Cherokee L
I got the news today that my Turbo is going to be replaced, took me 2 dealers but I got a call saying they couldn't replicate the noise. I told the Service manager I was on my way to take him for a ride. After about a 7 min drive, he admitted he heard something but wasn't positive and he needed to take the tech for a second drive.
We parked my jeep and I told him I wanted to show him something on my laptop. Thank you @Huehue80 for your video clip. He heard and saw that and said that was what he heard, Your clip saved me from a lot of hassle so thank you. I have to wait a few weeks for the parts to come in and apparently the shop is a week behind but it is absolutely worth it, they even let me take it back until my appointment.
Sponsored

Huehue80

First Name
Cohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
I got the news today that my Turbo is going to be replaced, took me 2 dealers but I got a call saying they couldn't replicate the noise. I told the Service manager I was on my way to take him for a ride. After about a 7 min drive, he admitted he heard something but wasn't positive and he needed to take the tech for a second drive.
We parked my jeep and I told him I wanted to show him something on my laptop. Thank you @Huehue80 for your video clip. He heard and saw that and said that was what he heard, Your clip saved me from a lot of hassle so thank you. I have to wait a few weeks for the parts to come in and apparently the shop is a week behind but it is absolutely worth it, they even let me take it back until my appointment.
Thanks, glad I could help brother!

Rickss

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Thank you for everyone's feedback and information here. I have had the turbo rattle since day 1 and didn't think much of it but it has gotten worse lately. I have a service appointment next week. Here's to hoping they accept my internet diagnosis :like: I will follow up with my experience.

thadude

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport - 2D Mojito
Thank you for everyone's feedback and information here. I have had the turbo rattle since day 1 and didn't think much of it but it has gotten worse lately. I have a service appointment next week. Here's to hoping they accept my internet diagnosis :like: I will follow up with my experience.
I also feel it has gotten more prominent over the past few months. Will be having them look at it again so it is on the record.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
My Wrangler is still on order, but my current car is a 2013 VW Tiguan 2.0TSI... In summer I had the windows open and heard a rattle. Took it in, it was the wastegate. I don't know much about the turbos on the Wrangler, but for the Tiguan, that means it's seized and the entire turbo needs to be replaced. The Tiguan needs a new set of tires as well, so I can either put $4k into the VW... or use that same amount as a downpayment... which is why I ordered a Wrangler. So I'm trading in a German direct injection turbo engine for an Italian direct injection turbo engine... at least this time the warranty will cover the entire time of my loan (bought the Tiguan used) and it should still be worth about $25k when it's paid off.

Sponsored

thadude

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I went to a different dealership for a second opinion, and was told again that the noise was completely normal - but this time was told that the sound is related to the differential; BUT, there is a cover that is made to muffle the noise, and it was missing... which is why I was hearing it! So they replaced it yesterday, and I have not heard the noise since. I will update if I begin hearing it again. I’ve also included the notes that I got back from the dealership.

678DC063-0E3F-4309-A34C-390C63C329EA.jpeg
I am reading all posts in preparation of sending corporate a letter explaining my frustration, I would suggestion everyone else who has had no luck with dealerships do the same.

Going back to this post, I was also told this cover was "missing". I think if anything when they replaced this it muffled the noise a bit, but didn't do anything regarding the underlying issue (the actual noise). I now feel like the sound has gotten worse and more obvious.

Katej1213

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Occupation
Paralegal
I am reading all posts in preparation of sending corporate a letter explaining my frustration, I would suggestion everyone else who has had no luck with dealerships do the same.

Going back to this post, I was also told this cover was "missing". I think if anything when they replaced this it muffled the noise a bit, but didn't do anything regarding the underlying issue (the actual noise). I now feel like the sound has gotten worse and more obvious.
I agree with you. The cover helped when my doors were on and the windows were shut, but it didn't help mechanically. I got so tired of dealing with it and worrying about a possible long-term costly issue that I ended up trading my Jeep in and getting a used JL Rubicon with the 3.6L instead. The headache ended up not being worth it to me when my warranty ran out and I knew I could end up having to pay big bucks to fix issues that they knew about. Funny enough though, the JL Rubicon I bought also had nothing but problems too (serious coolant leak, defroster broke off the back glass, rear LED taillight with blind spot detection went out which was going to cost $$$ to fix, weird "clunk" noises when starting the Jeep and when shifting from Park to Drive, etc.). I ended up getting rid of it too. I'm taking a break from the Jeep life for now because I have been burned twice on the JL models.

I hope you have better luck (and patience) than I did!

thadude

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree with you. The cover helped when my doors were on and the windows were shut, but it didn't help mechanically. I got so tired of dealing with it and worrying about a possible long-term costly issue that I ended up trading my Jeep in and getting a used JL Rubicon with the 3.6L instead. The headache ended up not being worth it to me when my warranty ran out and I knew I could end up having to pay big bucks to fix issues that they knew about. Funny enough though, the JL Rubicon I bought also had nothing but problems too (serious coolant leak, defroster broke off the back glass, rear LED taillight with blind spot detection went out which was going to cost $$$ to fix, weird "clunk" noises when starting the Jeep and when shifting from Park to Drive, etc.). I ended up getting rid of it too. I'm taking a break from the Jeep life for now because I have been burned twice on the JL models.

I am so sorry, this is very discouraging to hear. Also has me leaning toward not buying out my lease and also taking a break from Jeep Life if this is not able to be resolved towards the end of my current lease.

thadude

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone who has had no luck and continues to deal with this annoying noise, below is the corporate address to write to to have your complaints heard. This is pretty much the last straw for me as I have no where else to go since my regional team will not agree to replace the turbo:

stellantis - customer care,
po box 21-8004
auburn hills, mi 48321-8004
attn: corporate

Katej1213

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Occupation
Paralegal
I am so sorry, this is very discouraging to hear. Also has me leaning toward not buying out my lease and also taking a break from Jeep Life if this is not able to be resolved towards the end of my current lease.
I don't blame you at all! Why would you want to buy out the lease when it could end up costing you even more money to keep it running than getting a new vehicle (with a new warranty)? I do think Jeep has done a good job of making Wranglers more user-friendly in the JL models when it comes to lighter/easier to remove freedom panels, design, tech features, etc., but the mechanical side is a mess, and I really hope they can figure out what they're doing. These vehicles are just too expensive to be having so many problems in my opinion.

Anyone who has had no luck and continues to deal with this annoying noise, below is the corporate address to write to to have your complaints heard. This is pretty much the last straw for me as I have no where else to go since my regional team will not agree to replace the turbo:

stellantis - customer care,
po box 21-8004
auburn hills, mi 48321-8004
attn: corporate
I hope people will take this to heart. I will be honest though, everyone that I spoke to at Jeep about this issue didn't seem to care. I took my Jeep to 2 different dealerships - the first time saying they couldn't replicate the noise but still "checked it out" and the second time I had multiple videos, so they couldn't deny it but still only brought up the cover to "muffle" the noise. I also opened claims for this problem with the Jeep Cares team, and they ultimately didn't really do anything either. Hopefully writing a letter work better and the corporate team will be a better avenue to those who still have their turbo JLs.

Good luck to you with your Jeep! I hope you can get a positive experience out of this.

Sponsored

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
@Katejl213

Oh my. Feeling your pain. Truly.
I had vehicles years ago with so many problems the Service Manager knew my name address and phone number. Volvo. Volvo complained about the cost of warranty work! Solution? Identify the problems and deal with them. Why aren't there recalls?

Wrangler dealer -- told him my Wrangler issues were with steering box first day after delivery. The only way I got help was by referring to @JeepCares then FCA Jeep Canada Customer Care. Since then I see more and more people with Jeeps with serious problems. It's hard to be loyal. Over a year.

Who are the youtube couple that got a brand new Rubicon JL after their steering "froze" and they couldn't turn?

We all talk to each other. Don't they know? Sure they do.

Katej1213

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Occupation
Paralegal
@Katejl213

Oh my. Feeling your pain. Truly.
I had vehicles years ago with so many problems the Service Manager knew my name address and phone number. Volvo. Volvo complained about the cost of warranty work! Solution? Identify the problems and deal with them. Why aren't there recalls?

Wrangler dealer -- told him my Wrangler issues were with steering box first day after delivery. The only way I got help was by referring to @JeepCares then FCA Jeep Canada Customer Care. Since then I see more and more people with Jeeps with serious problems. It's hard to be loyal. Over a year.

Who are the youtube couple that got a brand new Rubicon JL after their steering "froze" and they couldn't turn?

We all talk to each other. Don't they know? Sure they do.
I hate that there are so many of us that have had bad experiences and that Jeep isn't really doing anything to fix the issues (rather, just trying to push issues that they know about out until after the warranty period so we have to pay, not them). Amen - why aren't there more recalls?!

I agree with you - we talk to each other and are a community! Unfortunately I know we're not the only Jeepers that are fed up. I know I won't be the last one to trade in due to frustration and being tired of dealing with issues.

thadude

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update on my end (except not really). Wrote a personal letter to corporate a few months ago now, have not heard a peep back from them. Very disappointed. Just curious if @JeepCares has any other recommendations at this point. My lease is up in May and as much as I would to keep it, I just can't knowing so little has been done to correct this issue across the board. I already have my plan B lined up, so unfortunately will not be a true member of this community much longer. Very disappointing but looking forward to new things.

RAO

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sahara; 2022 JL Rubicon
There is a rod on top of the engine near the turbo that controls the wastegate - check that for play as it may be the culprit.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
There is a rod on top of the engine near the turbo that controls the wastegate - check that for play as it may be the culprit.
Or even a possibly a loose heat shield? I'd check the rod first. Should be pretty easy to diagnose jsut by listening around or with a stethoscope.
Sponsored