Sponsored

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
I had to turn the volume way up, but yeah I hear the same fast clicking/rattle sound on deceleration.. most obvious ~1500rpm
Yes, the wind noise muffles the sound a little. But, is there a definitive answer to this sound? I checked the wastegate and it is tight and does not rattle. And in the previous videos showing the connecting rod from the actuator to the wastegate rattling, that only happens if the engine is off. Once you turn the engine on, the actuator stiffened the rod and there is no rattling movement. The engine has power and everything operates normal. The interesting thing is that when I shift to neutral, the sound goes away instantly.

4xe Rubicon

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Rubicon
Does yours sound like this? I only hear it around 1,400 RPM and usually when I first start it up and it runs the ICE. This is a 4xe, but obviously the same 2.0L and curios if it is what you guys are experiencing. Mine sounds like it was coming from the oil pan though. Thanks for any feedback.

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does yours sound like this? I only hear it around 1,400 RPM and usually when I first start it up and it runs the ICE. This is a 4xe, but obviously the same 2.0L and curios if it is what you guys are experiencing. Mine sounds like it was coming from the oil pan though. Thanks for any feedback.

Mine sound like that on cold starts. The noise we are talking about is while decelerating.

Sponsored

xEDGEx

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Crystal Metallic JLUR 2.0L Turbo
@JeepCares
Will anything be done about this? Or are we just at the mercy of service departments that don't want to troubleshoot?
When I reached out to jeepcares asking what to do since the dealer wont fix it, I was advised to just try another dealer. So it sounds like we're at the mercy of the service depts. :/

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well haven’t gotten mine into the dealer yet. I broke my legs and haven’t driven my Jeep in almost 7wks. The other day I was looking under the hood and noticed this to be pretty loose and can rattle easy. Is anyone else’s like this?

This only happens with the engine off. Mine did the same And when I turned the engine on and checked it again, the actuator stiffened and there was no play.

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So when the system is under pressure it’s tight. Makes sense, and explains why it’s rattling when coasting to a stop. When I get mine back I’ll see what I can do to tighten that up.
How long it has been at the dealership? I’m taking mine tomorrow. To me the weird thing is that when I shift to neutral, the rattle stops. Also, the rattle doesn’t happens all the time.

FJL40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr 6spd
Rattle in the turbo is usually caused by the turbine prop shaft bearing oil starvation. The shaft heats up and slightly warps causing an imbalance of the shaft. If you let this go for a while, it will literally wear down your turbine fins and maybe worse, snap the prop shaft in half. If you notice the noise get softer when you rev, it’s because the oil pump is generating more oil pressure to get more oil in the turbo inlet oil pipe.

What to check for:
- Engine oil pressure at idle or off throttle
- Oil level
- Contamination in the turbo induction side. Look for dirt or debris stuck on the turbo fins. This will cause an imbalance too.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rattle in the turbo is usually caused by the turbine prop shaft bearing oil starvation. The shaft heats up and slightly warps causing an imbalance of the shaft. If you let this go for a while, it will literally wear down your turbine fins and maybe worse, snap the prop shaft in half. If you notice the noise get softer when you rev, it’s because the oil pump is generating more oil pressure to get more oil in the turbo inlet oil pipe.

What to check for:
- Engine oil pressure at idle or off throttle
- Oil level
- Contamination in the turbo induction side. Look for dirt or debris stuck on the turbo fins. This will cause an imbalance too.

Good luck.
Yes, the problem is that we don’t really know where the noise is coming from. If the balance shaft warps when it heats up then is un-warping back to normal since the sound goes away. If this is the problem, then a new turbo is needed but with many having this problem FCA should address it.

Sponsored

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I too have a turbo on order after I recorded a sound clip near the turbo and changed their mind on their original diagnosis that the clicking was the timing chain.
Same noise mine does but not that loud. Noticed that your turbo is a honeywell turbo, mine is a garret. I wonder if this is a problem of both turbo brands.

Huehue80

First Name
Cohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Same noise mine does but not that loud. Noticed that your turbo is a honeywell turbo, mine is a garret. I wonder if this is a problem of both turbo brands.
I don’t know mine is a 2018, jeep might have changed the manufacture of their Turbo’s. I believe Garret is a spinoff of Honeywell. So probably the same turbo. My new turbo part number is 5281614AI

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t know mine is a 2018, jeep might have changed the manufacture of their Turbo’s. I believe Garret is a spinoff of Honeywell. So probably the same turbo. My new turbo part number is 5281614AI
I did a video like yours but the rattle in mine is very subtle and with the noise of the engine I can’t hear it. However, I hear it while driving.

Angrysalad

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
i have a 2020 Wrangler and have noticed this same rattle since day one. I bought the Jeep with only 20K miles on it but the dealer insists its good to go, however, I've put about 7K miles on it since i bought it and the rattle is louder. I have the Honeywell turbo on mine.

Uncle T

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
We have a 21 Willy’s edition with the Garrett turbo.
Just under 2,000kms on it , went out for about a 3-4 hour county cruise and the noise was extreme when we got back home and was backing in the garage.
Ive noticed the slight clicking \ rattle sound prior to this outing but chalked it up as “turbo noise”.
My dealer can be a bit of a nightmare at times so really dreading calling for this one!!
😢
Sponsored