Turbo rattle?

Dudley Dawson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Great news, just picked up my Jeep and the clicking noise is gone. They installed a new turbo. Thanks to help from this forum @Meela @AtlanticOverland for their great insight and help. The video I recorded was the push they needed to replace it. Here is the work order. The Jeep feels smoother and more alive now.
355897F6-EC29-4CBB-927D-CC00775684F7.jpeg
325A7D76-DFD9-41A1-A040-54174D983803.jpeg
Sweet. Thanks for sharing. Great to see all of the positive experiences with the turbo replacement.

I wanna be in the no-rattle turbo club too!

I really dread the dealer, but making appointment now. I expect push back (last time they said rattle could be related to steering TSB - šŸ˜†). Wish me luck...
Sponsored

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
Sweet. Thanks for sharing. Great to see all of the positive experiences with the turbo replacement.

I really dread the dealer, but making appointment now. I expect push back (last time they said rattle could be related to steering TSB - šŸ˜†). Wish me luck...
Good luck, dude!

Meela

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler 4Cyl Turbo
Great news, just picked up my Jeep and the clicking noise is gone. They installed a new turbo. Thanks to help from this forum @Meela @AtlanticOverland for their great insight and help. The video I recorded was the push they needed to replace it. Here is the work order. The Jeep feels smoother and more alive now.
WOOOHOOOOO!!!! Itā€™s almost like new the way she handles now isnā€™t it! Has a bit more spunk that you didnā€™t realize she was lacking? Thatā€™s how it was for me anyway šŸ˜…šŸ˜…

Meela

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Good luck!!! šŸ¤žšŸ¼šŸ¤žšŸ¼šŸ™šŸ½

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
Congrats!

Does anyone think the linkage at the top of the turbo can be tightened up and that would fix it? Still havenā€™t taken mine in yet and Iā€™m heading to Moab next week.

Sponsored

Meela

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congrats!

Does anyone think the linkage at the top of the turbo can be tightened up and that would fix it? Still havenā€™t taken mine in yet and Iā€™m heading to Moab next week.
I am by no means a mechanic but I would venture not since they are replacing the entire turbo each and every time.

shelglass

First Name
Sheldon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler
Very concerning that Turbos are going out. Should this be a TSB from NTSA?

thetooke

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Owner & Operator of Stage 2 Entertainment Equipment, LLC
Very concerning that Turbos are going out. Should this be a TSB from NTSA?
I am up for a replacement once all parts are in. I made it a point to mention to the JeepCares rep working with me that some form of notice needs to be brought up regarding this issue. May have been a bad batch of actuators?

For those who have this issue, what year is your JL turbo? Mine is 2018.

Huehue80

First Name
Cohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
I am up for a replacement once all parts are in. I made it a point to mention to the JeepCares rep working with me that some form of notice needs to be brought up regarding this issue. May have been a bad batch of actuators?

mine is a 2018 built 8/2018. I donā€™t know if itā€™s a safety issue. But, it is a issue in reliability and having it break out of warranty would suck.

Meela

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Also a 2018...I think I recall many of us were 2018 but donā€™t quote me on it. šŸ˜‚

Sponsored

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is also a 2018. So I guess the question is, is this a 2018 problem or have others just not experienced it yet because they arenā€™t as used yet. Iā€™m thinking the former...

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
Mines a 2020. Iā€™m going to fix the GoPro under the hood today to see if I can capture it.

thetooke

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Owner & Operator of Stage 2 Entertainment Equipment, LLC
Mines a 2020. Iā€™m going to fix the GoPro under the hood today to see if I can capture it.
If you can post the video, please do. It will be good to have as much material in this thread for JeepCares or Mopar to have. With yours being a 2020, it looks as though it wasnā€™t just a bad batch, but a faulty part to begin with and service department techs need to know what that sound actually means instead of ā€œoh, thatā€™s just normal turbo noiseā€.

What mileage were you at when you first started hearing this issue?

Last edited:

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
If you can post the video, please do. It will be good to have as much material in this thread for JeepCares or Mopar to have. With yours being a 2020, it looks as though it wasnā€™t just a bad batch, but a faulty part to begin with and service department techs need to know what that sound actually means instead of ā€œoh, thatā€™s just normal turbo noiseā€.

What mileage were you at when you first started hearing this issue?
I have 9300 currently and noticed it probably around 7000 or so. Took it to my dealer for it and my transmission. They wrote off the turbo as normal and re-flashed my transmission but Iā€™m still having clunking there when the trans temp is below 130Ā°.
Sponsored

Last edited: