Sponsored

Turbo on every rubicon on dealer lot

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
It will also serve as a global engine, since its small enough to meet other countries engine displacement restrictions. It's more cost effective to produce one engine for multiple markets.
Good point. The rest of the world does not get eTorque though.
Sponsored

TexasNate

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara, Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
I stole this dyno chart from another thread.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...first-ever-dyno-runs-vs-3-6l-pentastar.14270/

There is a lot more analysis than I can give in that thread.

023CBCF6-11F2-4603-9537-4AD891A4FC12.jpeg

Blue lines are the turbo.
Red lines are the V6.
The turbo has significantly higher HP and Torque between 2.5k and 5.5k RPM (redline for the turbo). Along the torque curve it is as much as 75 ft-lbs and as little as 25 ft-lbs. The HP is at worst a break even at max numbers. The turbo does have a narrower power band, but it never has to rev as hard to get there and it's power is right where most of us will be using it anyways. Also with an 8 speed transmission the width of the power band is not really an issue.

That said, they are both great choices and you really can't mess it up.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Added to the cost of 2.0 ownership is the big ole battery. Wonder what their life span is and what are the replacement costs INSTALLED. Guys and gals trading in their rigs after a couple of years dont have to worry, but guys like me who keep them for a LONG time do wonder.
The battery for ESS in the 3.6 isn't cheap either

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...first-ever-dyno-runs-vs-3-6l-pentastar.14270/

Red lines are the V6.
The turbo has significantly higher HP and Torque between 2.5k and 5.5k RPM (redline for the turbo). Along the torque curve it is as much as 75 ft-lbs and as little as 25 ft-lbs. The HP is at worst a break even at max numbers. The turbo does have a narrower power band, but it never has to rev as hard to get there and it's power is right where most of us will be using it anyways. Also with an 8 speed transmission the width of the power band is not really an issue.

I agree.

Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White

Red lines are the V6.

If true that would be something to crow about, but the factories own numbers dont show this huge disparity??

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
I thought I read in another thread the 3.6 ESS battery cost less then $140. Closer to $110. It looks to be just like a motorcycle battery.

https://www.moparpartssurplus.com/p...MIqIuGhqSc4AIVjhyGCh2ARQ_XEAQYAiABEgLKgPD_BwE

Part # BBAUA200AD
$134
Yeah likely no where near the price of the 2.0 battery. You just know something with heating and cooling lines going to it isnt going to be cheap. lol That said I am NOT happy I have to replace two batteries instead of one on my 3.6. Batteries dont last that long hear in the desert and ESS isnt that easy to get to. Hoping after market comes to the rescue with a delete kit. Same might be true for the 2.0 too

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
If true that would be something to crow about, but the factories own numbers dont show this huge disparity??
There have been multiple dyno runs showing the same thing, the power differences aren't really up for debate. Value, perhaps, but not power. It's especially notable at higher elevations, as the difference is larger, but go drive a 2.0 and 3.6 JLUR w/ 8 speed (as much apples to apples as possible) back to back, and you'll feel the difference immediately. This is exactly what I did, and I'm happy with my decision on the 2.0. I'm not expecting to save money with it, or necessarily even get better mileage. I do have more usable power though, and even slinging my heavy 315/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, it's a hoot to drive. The 8 speed and the 2.0 make a great combo. Not that the 3.6 is bad, but it definitely is down on power, and the higher redline doesn't matter anywhere near as much with 8 gears.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I wish you could get a 2.0 with a manual. Because you cannot, it made my decision easy.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Have to laugh at a mini cooper being classified as "fast".
Mini's are surprisingly fast. Two or three times year our local corvette club leases a local track so we can run our Vettes as fast as we can around the course. Sometimes we have to share the track with the local "Mini-Cooper" club. The Corvettes are easily faster and more powerful....but make no mistake the Cooper is still accelerating toward us when we are braking into the corners...and they make up ground they lose on the straights. Coopers are not as fast as muscle cars...but make no mistake they are formidable performance cars...and yes they are fast.

Sponsored

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
What I'm most surprised about on this thread is the apparent dislike on the new engine. Yes, it has added complexity, but so does pretty much any new powerplant. Turbo? I don't see many knocking the 3.0. BSG? I'm half willing to bet it's Q.A. and build standards are higher than a typical alternator, and it has a warranty on the whole system to match. MPG? Going off of available empirical data, it is slightly better. Acceleration? Anecdotal, but butt dynos are a good indicator of fun, just like the Mini comparison. There are plenty of negatives as well such as lack of a 6 speed and less overall HP, but I think that poor horse has been beaten enough in this thread.

For a better comparison of its merits, longer evaluation is required. It has been out for several months now, and no major problems have been noted (yes I'm aware of a coolant leak issue, but I wouldn't classify this as major) as of yet.

Point is, there are plenty of people who want the turbo, plenty of people who don't, and plenty of people who could care less. 2.0 or 3.6, it's a Jeep. And THAT, my friends, is what matters.
In your previous posts you make claims that the 91octane fuel will have "more power" and "better mileage". Unless I am mistaken...either fuel will give you the same results. The higher Octane is more expensive...not because it will give you more power or better mileage....but it is more expensive because it has additives to prevent it from detonation.......PERIOD.
If I am mistaken....(there is only 4 octane difference in the two fuels) Please post some test results showing that the premium fuel delivers what you say. Otherwise lets be smart about this and lets all learn. If I am mistaken (wont be the first time) let me be educated. Thanks.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
Mini's are surprisingly fast. Two or three times year our local corvette club leases a local track so we can run our Vettes as fast as we can around the course. Sometimes we have to share the track with the local "Mini-Cooper" club. The Corvettes are easily faster and more powerful....but make no mistake the Cooper is still accelerating toward us when we are braking into the corners...and they make up ground they lose on the straights. Coopers are not as fast as muscle cars...but make no mistake they are formidable performance cars...and yes they are fast.
It's not always about displacement....light can be really fast. Looking at selling the Lotus and possibly buying a BAC Mono. 0-60....2.55 seconds, 1276 lbs, 4 cylinder turbo 305 hp.

IDqn1M7.jpg

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's not always about displacement....light can be really fast. Looking at selling the Lotus and possibly buying a BAC Mono. 0-60....2.55 seconds, 1276 lbs, 4 cylinder turbo 305 hp.

IDqn1M7.jpg
Your correct....but "really fast"....is going to cost you $$$$$$$$$ too much !
when it comes to performance and fast.....its hard to beat a Mustang or a Corvette.
Dollar for Dollar.....nothing will perform better than those two. To beat those two AMERICAN dreams...you have to get into the 200,000 range.

jbozz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Every rubicon in a 100 mile radius (parts of NJ,PA,Delawre) from my Zip all have turbo in them. is this the same everywhere else or just my area. Also does anyone know why are they just trying to push rubi turbo or is the turbo that good?

I ask cause I'm in the market and me building(ordering) or buying off the lot is as simple as I'm on the edge with the turbo.
my guess there trying to push the Turbo.
any of the 6cyl wranglers I've seen on the lot were usually special ordered for 2019.
seems they need to test the 4 cyl turbo in the real world so the push is on.. I just wouldn't want to be the person testing at the premium they want for the New Turbo I special ordered the 6cyl I'm sure the turbo will make someone happy just don't like being the test pilot..

Last edited:

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Disagree....depends if you know how to build engines. I'd agree that the Vette is a good bargain....not sold on the Stang. BAC prices vary wildly depending on exchange rates....it's been as low as $90K to $150K depending on fluctuations. Then there's always the fact that one is a purpose built vehicle which is pretty impractical for conveyance...but that's where purpose-builts shine over production vehicles. Same can be said for buggys vs. Jeeps.
Talking Dollar for Dollar on a "Production Car" typical pricing for Stangs or Vettes ...not customs builds. Nothing can match their performance for the same prices.
Long live American Muscle!
Sponsored