Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
The real test will be in the resale value of the 5-8 year old 100K 2.0 turbo vs 3.6 will you get the1K back then ? Will you loose the 1K plus more if it has less resale than the base v6 ?
Mmmmmm time will tell.
Sponsored

Roadglide

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I'm leaning towards ordering mine but I don't want to wait lol. my dealer said 6-8 weeks is the normal is that if everything goes smooth I see someone people on here waiting like 4 months
I ordered a new Rubicon two door with the 3.6L and it took exactly 2 months. Ordered in November.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The real test will be in the resale value of the 5-8 year old 100K 2.0 turbo vs 3.6 will you get the1K back then ? Will you loose the 1K plus more if it has less resale than the base v6 ?
Mmmmmm time will tell.
Absolutely won't get $1k more in resale.

I think the majority of people buying them used won't care it's a 4-cyl or 6-cyl, only enthusiasts will look under the hood.

Jimbo344

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
When I was ordering my 2019 my dealer told me the exact same thing. He said they were not allowed to order the six cylinder at all only if it was a customer order that was it. On his lot, only the four cylinder to the dealership

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
If you get engine problems, just top it off with premium before taking it in for warranty work, then tell them that’s what you always used.
Until they access the computers / black boxes to retrieve data to see what might have caused problems.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Do you think FCA would offer the 2.0 turbo if the EPA did not require more efficient engines? Makes you wonder
I doubt the 2.0 and eTorque would be offered if it were not for the EPA requirements.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I doubt the 2.0 and eTorque would be offered if it were not for the EPA requirements.
It will also serve as a global engine, since its small enough to meet other countries engine displacement restrictions. It's more cost effective to produce one engine for multiple markets.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
When I was ordering my 2019 my dealer told me the exact same thing. He said they were not allowed to order the six cylinder at all only if it was a customer order that was it. On his lot, only the four cylinder to the dealership
I hate when companies try to ram product down our throats like this. Total bs.

Sponsored

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
I believe the 2.0 is a global engine , think it’s made in france by Renault. Jeep and Renault Have done business in the past. I had an 89 Jeep Cherokee with the Rennix/Renault sourced computer and fuel injection system.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Until they access the computers / black boxes to retrieve data to see what might have caused problems.
LOL. You must not be familiar with the troubleshooting skills at a Jeep dealer.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Last I heard....the dealers were having a lot of trouble selling the turbos and were starting to worry if FCA screwed up.

Personally as much as the performance benefits may be there is a lot more that can go wrong with the turbo that can't really be fixed with cheap parts. Battery, turbo, any of the other 48v stuff. Plus any fuel economy savings are a wash due to high diesel costs
What performance benefits? From what I have read both motors are pretty close. My info is dated so maybe it's wrong but I also recall testers mentioning they couldnt tell the difference between motors.

I probably would have gone 2.0 if it didnt have BSG. But I have to say my 3.6 is an absolute hoot to drive.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
This is an example of “the placebo effect”.
Either way, by your calculations, driving 15k a year would theoretically only come out to about $55 a year difference in gas between the two engines. It would take you at least 18 years to break even on the $1000 turbo up charge. That’s assuming you didn’t opt for premium. That’s not justifying a 2.0L at all.
If your math is right I agree. But even if wasnt I can't say I would be crowing about mpg numbers that are so insignificant. If the power and performance of the motor were night and day THAT would be something to crow about.

Added to the cost of 2.0 ownership is the big ole battery. Wonder what their life span is and what are the replacement costs INSTALLED. Guys and gals trading in their rigs after a couple of years dont have to worry, but guys like me who keep them for a LONG time do wonder.

86CJ7

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392
Occupation
IT
no replacement for displacement

The power band is limited on the turbo. In the real world, the 3.6 is the way to go.
Sponsored