Turbo on every rubicon on dealer lot

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
My dad has the 2.0. I have the 3.6. I don't really see a difference except for some added complexity with the 48v system. The 48v power pack and a couple of the other parts are covered for 8 years or 80,000 miles.

The Wrangler I bought had the 3.6 but I wouldn't hesitate to get one with the turbo. If you find one that has the options you want but it has the turbo, you should test drive it and then decide.
Sponsored

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
You'll be in a stronger negotiating positioning buying what they have on the lot.
A lot of people order because it is much cheaper than what is on the lots. But maybe someone could get a good deal on a leftover 2018 now.

drdriller

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Well, I test drove 2 different wrangler jl that dealer had on lot. I had no idea there were different engine options. When I got out of the second jl, I told the salesman I think somethings wrong with this wrangler, it’s slower than the first one. That’s when I found out there were different options and , to me, the 2.0 had less pep. Granted. It’s totally subjective and I was only driving around the subdivision behind the dealership and never got on highway.

I ordered a 3.6 solely on this basis

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
If it was a standard 6cyl turbo i would have been all over it. But a 4cyl hybrid turbo in a 4k lb vehicle is not something that appeals to me. I plan on keeping my jeep for at least 8 years and don't want to deal with the maintenance of a more complex system on the 2.0. Not to mention an extra $1,000 right off the bat.

Its already been shown in another thread that the added cost of premium fuel in the 2.0 makes the 3.6 cheaper to put on the road. I fail to see any benefits of the turbo motor except maybe performance. But i certainly did not buy a jeep to go fast.

Now If i only planned on keeping it for a short time like a lease or something then that would be different.

Sponsored

DesmoDog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ducati 851
I test drove JLs a couple weeks ago and was told that the dealer can't even order a 3.6 to have on the lot, they can only choose that engine when doing a sold order. So, most of the JLs they have are turbos. Also, he was willing to give me a better deal on any 2018 they had in stock than on an order for a 2019.

I like turbos in general, my last vehicle was an Ecoboost, but the turbo in the Wrangler didn't wow me, I was expecting more I guess.

I ended up with a 3.6L. In a low mile JK lease return...

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
There is no "one size fits all", . Turbos have been around for a long time and work great in small displacement motors and in diesels. The move to Turbos is really about fleet MPG requirements for all manufacturers, just like start stop feature.

I think its great that there are choices for engines and transmissions, "different strokes for different folks", and eventually a diesel option only makes things better. Diesel, Turbo, or naturally aspirated all have their pros and cons, so you get to pick the one that meets your needs the best, right? Diesels have been around forever and are know to go 300K plus miles, based on that it should be the engine for every vehicle right? But that isn't the case.
You also have super chargers that work better than a turbo (no lag in boost) but harder to package under the hood.

IMHO we are getting the best options depending on what we use the vehicle for. A DD commuter? Towing boats etc? rock crawling? Long distance driving? Local driving only? In the end, Jeep will only increase sales by offering these various engine configurations.
Enjoy the one you picked:jk::sun:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I test drove JLs a couple weeks ago and was told that the dealer can't even order a 3.6 to have on the lot, they can only choose that engine when doing a sold order. So, most of the JLs they have are turbos. Also, he was willing to give me a better deal on any 2018 they had in stock than on an order for a 2019.

I like turbos in general, my last vehicle was an Ecoboost, but the turbo in the Wrangler didn't wow me, I was expecting more I guess.

I ended up with a 3.6L. In a low mile JK lease return...
When he said “a better deal”, what prices were you offered? It makes absolutely no sense for them to lower the price of a JL on the lot below that of a sold older.

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
The interest in the Turbo is from the Cafe fuel economy standards that the government is pushing. FCA has to sell a bunch of them to help with their overall fleet fuel economy profile to meet the standards.

DesmoDog

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ducati 851
When he said “a better deal”, what prices were you offered? It makes absolutely no sense for them to lower the price of a JL on the lot below that of a sold older.
If I'm recalling the numbers correctly, roughly speaking the 2018 JLs were being sold for about 4-5% under invoice with no affliate plan needed. On an order they were only offering the standard 1% below invoice for my supplier discount. I didn't pursue that further as they had a 2018 on the lot that was so close to what I would order that we focused on that. Drove it (a 3.6L) and a very similar 2.0L. As I snuck in at the end of my post, we ended up going with a lightly used JK for significantly less money. It was the first time I had driven a JL, and for what I plan for the vehicle, the JL just wasn't worth the added cost to me. But that's a topic for another thread. And another reason I didn't push on pricing on a sold order.

I have no idea about the logic or making sense, it seemed to me they had more 2018s on the lot than they wanted, so they were trying to get rid of those rather than order something.

Sponsored

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
All Rubicons nearby have the 2.0 here as well. Sport S and Sahara seem to have 50/50 split. I even got a survery from FCA(after I signed up for brochure) basically asking how they can convince me to pick 2.0 over the 3.6. I ordered the 3.6 mainly because it is a proven powertrain across FCA lineup. The 2.0 did seem to have slightly better acceleration once you are at speed, but from a stop I liked the 3.6 better.

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
And as far as getting a better deal, it probably depends on the inventory levels and the demand in the area. The dealership I ordered from won't give me the same deal I got ordering a 2019, even on a 2018 on the lot.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Well, I test drove 2 different wrangler jl that dealer had on lot. I had no idea there were different engine options. When I got out of the second jl, I told the salesman I think somethings wrong with this wrangler, it’s slower than the first one. That’s when I found out there were different options and , to me, the 2.0 had less pep. Granted. It’s totally subjective and I was only driving around the subdivision behind the dealership and never got on highway.

I ordered a 3.6 solely on this basis
The added torque of the 2.0 is noticeable. Unfortunately you probably did not feel the real performance potential of the Turbo engine. I think the 2.0 you tried might have been handicapped with low octane gas. I test drove 2 different 2.0 turbo JLs and a 3.6 back to back. I think most dealers, if not all, fill the 2.0 Turbo gas tank with regular 87 octane gas and not with premium gas for test drives. I went on a test drive where the sales person and myself had to fill up with some gas for the test drive. I noticed her filling the 2.0 with regular 87. I questioned her and she said the dealer only allows regular gas for all test drives of the cars. We filled a second 2.0 with premium, at her expense, and it was night and day. The 2.0 felt agile and the torque was definitely nice. I also took out a 3.6 back to back with the 2 turbo engines. The 3.6 was definitely more liner in power delivery, which I like. You would expect this from a larger displacement naturally aspired engine. The 2.0 was less liner, especially from a slow rolling stop. The 2.0 from a dead stop accelerated from the line without much delay or lag. I think the electric eTorque starter gets the JL moving from a dead stop well. I did notice lag a few times from a slow roll. Happens when the 2.0 was rolling slowly without the assist of the electric motor. This was noticeable while coming up to a intersection where you slow down to check for traffic and roll slowly without braking or stopping and then accelerating. You push the gas pedal down and there is lag before the pick up. Both engines on the highway were fine. I would say the 2.0 torque band was a slightly better match with the 8-speed auto. The 2.0 gives a little longer range between fill ups too. I think the 2.0 turbo is definitely worth the added cost if someone lived or will be driving at higher elevations. Saying all that I am still not sure which engine I am going to order? lol. I think I would be happy with either engine but for different reasons. I want to drive both engines again back to back but that seems like it's getting harder to do now since 90% of JLs on lots seem to be turbos?

Last edited:

Outsider87

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stinggray 2018 JLUR 3.6
Occupation
IT
I haven’t read every post in this thread but I had an extremely similar experience and thought I would share, and hopefully help you out. I’m also in a similar location in PA. I really wanted the 3.6 Rubicon in sting gray, with a hand full of other features like the towing package etc. I was on the brink of ordering one 5 min from my home and ran into a great deal at Lindsay Chrysler dodge in Manassas Va. It was about a three hour drive for me but we’ll worth it. Got exactly what I wanted and they were great. I never hype anyone but the experience was just great. Some of it was the excitement of finally getting a Jeep after 20 years of wanting one but at I least recommend checking them out. They seem to have a ton of options in stock. If you do end up ordering one. It will definitely be worth the wait and give you more time for more aftermarket parts to come out. I’ve been waiting for a lot of things that are either out of stock or not yet released so your kinda golden either way. Best of luck!

leanxormean_stack

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Occupation
Software Eng.
If the 2.0 wasn’t bsg and had a big battery under it I would’ve checked it out further. They are peppy and I’m sure the mileage is better but I personally didn’t want to deal with the headaches that complexity can add

Brett
I have seen on some youtube videos that you can't relocate the big battery or even armor it and it sometimes in the way when you do suspension lifts. Is that the same understanding you have?
Sponsored