Turbo on every rubicon on dealer lot

Jimbo344

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
When I was ordering my 2019 my dealer told me the exact same thing. He said they were not allowed to order the six cylinder at all only if it was a customer order that was it. On his lot, only the four cylinder to the dealership

Advertisement

viper88

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T
If you get engine problems, just top it off with premium before taking it in for warranty work, then tell them that’s what you always used.
Until they access the computers / black boxes to retrieve data to see what might have caused problems.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T
Do you think FCA would offer the 2.0 turbo if the EPA did not require more efficient engines? Makes you wonder
I doubt the 2.0 and eTorque would be offered if it were not for the EPA requirements.

SecondTJ

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I doubt the 2.0 and eTorque would be offered if it were not for the EPA requirements.
It will also serve as a global engine, since its small enough to meet other countries engine displacement restrictions. It's more cost effective to produce one engine for multiple markets.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
When I was ordering my 2019 my dealer told me the exact same thing. He said they were not allowed to order the six cylinder at all only if it was a customer order that was it. On his lot, only the four cylinder to the dealership
I hate when companies try to ram product down our throats like this. Total bs.

Solidaxle

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
I believe the 2.0 is a global engine , think it’s made in france by Renault. Jeep and Renault Have done business in the past. I had an 89 Jeep Cherokee with the Rennix/Renault sourced computer and fuel injection system.

Majestic

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Until they access the computers / black boxes to retrieve data to see what might have caused problems.
LOL. You must not be familiar with the troubleshooting skills at a Jeep dealer.

twisty

First Name
bob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Last I heard....the dealers were having a lot of trouble selling the turbos and were starting to worry if FCA screwed up.

Personally as much as the performance benefits may be there is a lot more that can go wrong with the turbo that can't really be fixed with cheap parts. Battery, turbo, any of the other 48v stuff. Plus any fuel economy savings are a wash due to high diesel costs
What performance benefits? From what I have read both motors are pretty close. My info is dated so maybe it's wrong but I also recall testers mentioning they couldnt tell the difference between motors.

I probably would have gone 2.0 if it didnt have BSG. But I have to say my 3.6 is an absolute hoot to drive.

twisty

First Name
bob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
This is an example of “the placebo effect”.
Either way, by your calculations, driving 15k a year would theoretically only come out to about $55 a year difference in gas between the two engines. It would take you at least 18 years to break even on the $1000 turbo up charge. That’s assuming you didn’t opt for premium. That’s not justifying a 2.0L at all.
If your math is right I agree. But even if wasnt I can't say I would be crowing about mpg numbers that are so insignificant. If the power and performance of the motor were night and day THAT would be something to crow about.

Added to the cost of 2.0 ownership is the big ole battery. Wonder what their life span is and what are the replacement costs INSTALLED. Guys and gals trading in their rigs after a couple of years dont have to worry, but guys like me who keep them for a LONG time do wonder.

86CJ7

First Name
Matthew
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Cherokee Summit, dreaming of a JLR
Occupation
IT
no replacement for displacement

The power band is limited on the turbo. In the real world, the 3.6 is the way to go.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T
It will also serve as a global engine, since its small enough to meet other countries engine displacement restrictions. It's more cost effective to produce one engine for multiple markets.
Good point. The rest of the world does not get eTorque though.

TexasNate

First Name
Nathan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara, Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
I stole this dyno chart from another thread.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...first-ever-dyno-runs-vs-3-6l-pentastar.14270/

There is a lot more analysis than I can give in that thread.

023CBCF6-11F2-4603-9537-4AD891A4FC12.jpeg

Blue lines are the turbo.
Red lines are the V6.
The turbo has significantly higher HP and Torque between 2.5k and 5.5k RPM (redline for the turbo). Along the torque curve it is as much as 75 ft-lbs and as little as 25 ft-lbs. The HP is at worst a break even at max numbers. The turbo does have a narrower power band, but it never has to rev as hard to get there and it's power is right where most of us will be using it anyways. Also with an 8 speed transmission the width of the power band is not really an issue.

That said, they are both great choices and you really can't mess it up.

SecondTJ

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Added to the cost of 2.0 ownership is the big ole battery. Wonder what their life span is and what are the replacement costs INSTALLED. Guys and gals trading in their rigs after a couple of years dont have to worry, but guys like me who keep them for a LONG time do wonder.
The battery for ESS in the 3.6 isn't cheap either

Advertisement

Extreme Terrain

Advertisement