Turbo lag? What am i doing wrong?

Robmypro

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LX570, 2015 GT3
i have a 2019 Rubicon with the 2.0 L turbo. I tried to go up my driveway, which isn’t super steep, but it has maybe 6 inches of snow on it. I put it into 4L and in first gear (manual mode) reving it was like being in neutral. I put it in second gear (again in manual mode) and tried going up my driveway with a bit of a running start. The engine felt like it completely bogged down. I applied throttle but there was no response. Then after a second or two the engine started building rpm and i climbed up my driveway.

I guess my first question is, was this caused by turbo lag, or possibly being in manual mode instead of letting the transmission find the right gear? Should i have been in 4L or 4H?

First time Jeep owner so i appreciate the help.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Robmypro

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LX570, 2015 GT3
All good guys. 4H worked fine.

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
i have a 2019 Rubicon with the 2.0 L turbo. I tried to go up my driveway, which isn’t super steep, but it has maybe 6 inches of snow on it. I put it into 4L and in first gear (manual mode) reving it was like being in neutral. I put it in second gear (again in manual mode) and tried going up my driveway with a bit of a running start. The engine felt like it completely bogged down. I applied throttle but there was no response. Then after a second or two the engine started building rpm and i climbed up my driveway.

I guess my first question is, was this caused by turbo lag, or possibly being in manual mode instead of letting the transmission find the right gear? Should i have been in 4L or 4H?

First time Jeep owner so i appreciate the help.
Doesn't sound normal at all. Should have just crawled up.slowly once you took your foot off the brake, unless you had no traction. Revving up sounds normal though, if locked in first gear your rpm will be quite high even at 1mph.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Dont know if 4L is appropriate for going up into snow. The only think I can think of is the electric assist motor doesnt cut in for some reason in 4L? But that doesnt make any sense.

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
Dont know if 4L is appropriate for going up into snow. The only think I can think of is the electric assist motor doesnt cut in for some reason in 4L? But that doesnt make any sense.
Electric doesn't work in 4L, but I've crawled up much steeper inclines in mud than your driveway (unless you have a crazy driveway) with no issue. You shouldn't have had any problems at all in 4l, the 4:1 range would have allowed a trimmer motor to pull the Jeep up. If it was bogging down something wasn't right.

Sponsored

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500
Thats not turbo lag. Jeep needs to be in neutral for 4L...

OP
OP

Robmypro

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LX570, 2015 GT3
Thanks guys. I played around with it more last night. Going up the driveway in 4H no hestitation. I think that was what i should have been using. On my LX470 and LX570 4L seems to not be quite as low, so i was used to using that. The LX is full-time 4H.

Today i am going to test out 4L again, with and without lockers. This time i am going to start at the bottom of my driveway from a dead stop (i usually get a bit of a running start). Do i just leave it in D?

Trying to figure the use of 4WD out so i am not trying to read the manual while stuck! lol

OP
OP

Robmypro

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LX570, 2015 GT3
Also what is the proper way to engage/disengage the lockers? Last night i messed around with them but disengaging them took forever and didn’t do it until i started moving.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Also what is the proper way to engage/disengage the lockers? Last night i messed around with them but disengaging them took forever and didn’t do it until i started moving.
Lockers only work in 4low (unless you have a Tazer or wire the directly)

Read the manual ongoing into 4 Low. The best method is to be in 4H, be rolling slowly (3-4 mph), put the auto trans into neutral, then pull the transfer case lever directly into 4low without hesitation or stopping in neutral. It takes some getting used to and sometimes the transfer case/transmission makes some really nasty grinding noises and clunks.

You’re right, practice before you really need it

OP
OP

Robmypro

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LX570, 2015 GT3
Lockers only work in 4low (unless you have a Tazer or wire the directly)

Read the manual ongoing into 4 Low. The best method is to be in 4H, be rolling slowly (3-4 mph), put the auto trans into neutral, then pull the transfer case lever directly into 4low without hesitation or stopping in neutral. It takes some getting used to and sometimes the transfer case/transmission makes some really nasty grinding noises and clunks.

You’re right, practice before you really need it
Thanks for the help. Read the manual this morning, and saw that portion. Didn't even know you could go from 2H to 4H while moving! You can't do that in the LX. RTFM! :)

Sponsored

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
4L is very low in a Rubicon.
I drove mine at 35 MPH in low and the transmission was in 6th gear and the engine was around 3,000 RPM.

FUHL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cmott426.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150 Ecoboost 2018 2-door Rubicon 2013 Range Rover Evoque
Occupation
CAD Drafter/Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Start moving is the key to disengaging them.

OP
OP

Robmypro

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LX570, 2015 GT3
Thanks guys! Spent more time with it today and now i see how it works.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
4L disables the bsg so you will have more lag. Traction control cuts power when you need it most in 2 and 4 H, but is disabled in 4L. Front locker doesn’t like to disengage when turning. Slow roll with wheels straight seems best. Before I got the Tazer, the first thing I did when I started the Jeep was turn off traction control. Cruising in 2H in the desert, hit a deep sandy spot where you need some wheel speed, stab the throttle and the traction control cuts all power at the worst possible time. I understand in 2wd, but it does the same thing in 4H. Good for driving on icy roads, terrible in just about any other off road environment. For a snowy driveway, I’d suggest 4H, traction control off.
Sponsored